Pono Website Dedicated Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Now that the Pono website has launched I thought it might be good to start a thread dedicated to what's being offered. There are other threads related to the Pono Player or whether or not the whole thing will succeed but I figure this can be a place to talk about the offerings and the usability of the site as a whole. So far I'm pretty blown away. Lots of great content and the ability to buy individual songs in cd quality is impressive. I'm a big jazz fan and they have the early Lee Morgan album "Expoobident" that might make for my first purchase. Yes, the prices are higher than you'll find on Amazon used and you're not getting the physical disc which will bother some people. But I like the immediacy of the whole thing and expect to burn through quite a few dollars here.

One big problem, unless I just can't find it, is that there's no way to search by genre or even alphabetically. If I'm wrong about this, can someone show me how to do it?

Another issue is the lack of mastering information etc for the titles. That's a problem at other download sites as well so it's to be expected. My guess is, as a rule of thumb, assume that whatever you purchase is the latest remaster. Those of us looking or original mastering and stuff will probably be out of luck here. Of course in cases where there's only one version, this might be the place!

Thoughts, guys? Digging it? Not digging it? Ambivalent?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Can someone verify, are the files in FLAC format or some other proprietary Pono format? Can I stream the content to my Oppo bluray player? Was thinking about grabbing some early Neil Young at hi rez but cant tell what I am getting from my shopping cart on the website.

andy749 likes this.
  3. mindblanking

Pono files are FLAC

4. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

So I guess a follow up question would be, how are the new remasters?

5. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

A lot of Neil Young lossless material, but no Beatles or Bob Seger. Punch is a tough guy also for PonoMusic.

6. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

But there's whole Lennon signature box in 96-24

Peter Pyle and Heart of Gold like this.
  7. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

On the Beach is 88-24... what's up with that? (( most newer albums are in meager 44-16...

8. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, there are two Elliott Smith albums - but they are XO and Figure 8. Weird.

9. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

why? it's my favorites!

OldShiftyEyes and Kermit27 like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any guesses on how long pono will last?

i say that by 2017 it is thing of the past, if not sooner.

remember surround sound.....dual-disc........etc etc etc

i just don't think too many people want to buy their music collection for a 3rd, or in some cases, a 4th time.

and i have a question:

if your pono breaks, do you lose everything you bought? or is there a "bank" somewhere that stores your purchases?

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  11. Heart of Gold

Some say that On The Beach is the 2003 master. How much money is Elliot Robert asking Warner for the rest of remasters? If a reasonable request, we'll see soon the rest of the Neil albums on higher resolution on Ponomusic .

12. htom

htom Senior Member

Perhaps your initial statement should then qualify itself as to the fate of all Hi-res retailers, (HDTracks, QoBuz, etc) rather than just Pono, since they're all in the same boat. Unless there is an aspect of this site that is fundamentally different.

As to your question:

You don't download directly to the player, you download to the desktop application. Much like the other retailers, since you therefore have a local copy off the player, it's not lost if you lose or break the player.

13. mindblanking

When I've made mistakes and accidentally deleted files, HDTracks has never hesitated to resend. They have proof that I've purchased them.

Grant likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks

15. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Figure 8 is my 2nd favourite album as well. It's just that XO and F8 have never been reissued on CD since the initial year of the release unlike all material on the KRS label.

whisper3978 and veloso2 like this.
  16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

There are a few hi rez Miles Davis releases on Pono that are a real deal ($12.99).

Grant likes this.
  17. Heart of Gold

Comes A Time 24/192 on Pono has a 1987 copyright. Isn't it strange? I'm listening to the first CAT on cd and it's great!

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Are there any pleasant surprises yet at the PonoStore-- i.e. exclusive hi-res albums? They may have a wide selection of titles, but I'm disappointed by how many I'm finding in standard CD resolution.

19. Heart of Gold

The major finding is the Neil ORS 1-14.

bferr1 likes this.
  20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

21. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

There is this thing called a hard drive. Your computer has one, and you can make back ups to external hard drives as well (recommended).

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Heart of Gold likes this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We have other ongiong Pono threads like this one. Wouldn't it be better to just merge them so they aren't scattered?

24. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I'm not allowed to look at Pono sites at work.

25. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I unfortunately didnt have this experience.

I lost my hardrive that I didn't back up for a month.

I requested to be allowed to re download 3 recordings I bought and they gave me a hard time. Eventually they agreed, but reluctantly Maybe I got the wrong person there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.