Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

OK, maybe not "romantic" in this case, but not HIP either. I was referring to non-HIP performances, but I guess that needed no further explanation :)

Szell and Klemperer certainly were no typical exponents of old-school-style conducting.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Maybe that's why I like them both so much.

ToddBD, Robin L and J.A.W. like this.
  3. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

From the LP era I have LP's with the title "Walzer und Polkas" at least from Willi Boskovski, Clemens Krauss, Böhm & Karajan. Also with the title "Walzer und Polkas" there's a cd by Maazel, a selection from 1980-83 (concerts, I guess). Another selection is "Neujahr in Wien" consisting of the Abbado concerts from 1988 & 1991. Last LP from the old days is ("of course") by Carlos Kleiber (from 1989). More Kleiber: "New Year's Concerts 1989 & 1992" (3-cd). After that it's just individual cd's by Maazel (1996 & 2005), Mehta (1998 & 2007), Harnoncourt (2001 & 2003), Muti (2004), Jansons (2006 & 2012), and Prêtre (2010). By Franz Welser-Möst (2013) it's a 3-LP. Hope I got it all right. All of course with Wiener Philh. If forced to choose, I'd probably keep the Abbado's, Kleiber's, Harnoncourt's and Jansons' records (cd's/LP's) plus of course the Welser-Möst triple-LP. But then again, who would go all that through in order to choose...?

Mariss Jansons will also be at/on(?) the podium in 2016.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

So do I :)

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 2 of "Bach - Suites For Solo Cello" performed by Hidemi Suzuki from the "DHM 50th Anniversary Edition" box set.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  6. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I think there's a point in using the term 'romantic' with the quotation marks in reference to Szell (especially in relation to the pre-romantic music; the baroque & classicism): he is just one of those 20th century figures who has deeply internalized the "canon" of the romantic era. A conductor of his generation could not have been anything else. It's just a great pleasure that the HIP movement exploded that norm: today the conductors have more degrees of freedom than 50 years ago.

Who were?

7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I would have asked for some protection for the tubes. They're all too vulnerable like that.

8. john greenwood

Mine would be pretty well protected if my shelves have enough height. (It would be close.)

jukes likes this.
  9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think structurally a hybrid SACD may have greater capacity than a non-hybrid SACD since the former has to accommodate both the SACD layer and the stereo layer. I believe DG first offered the non-hybrid SACD format, which does not play on a redbook CDP ...

10. coopmv

You probably will end up making multiple trips to Princeton before your vacation is over ... :D

11. coopmv

Just add a tube cage and problem is solved. :righton:

12. coopmv

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is some of the most mind-blowing playing that I have heard in a long time! I normally prefer Russian pianists, but I may have to make room for at least one Italian! What is even more amazing is that this is a live recital (although you'd hardly know it until the final piece, when they must have unbound and ungagged the audience!) His finger accuracy is astounding, and believe me, he hurls himself headlong into the pieces...no tip-toeing around the difficulties. My favorite is the last work, which was written for him, and contains fragments from dozens of Liszt's works, including the Sonata, Mephisto Waltz, Etudes, you name it, formed into one monstrously difficult showpiece. All that plus demonstration-quality sound, and it's quite a successful recording.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George P and bluemooze like this.
  14. coopmv

I believe I have that 2-LP set by Willi Boskovski. IIRC, it was on the London label ...

15. coopmv

I attended the concert by the ASMIF at Carnegie Hall with Iona Brown conducting in the mid 80's. Who was the conductor at your concert with the ASMIF?

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Barber/Meyer - Violin Concertos" performed by Hilary Hahn with The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra led by Hugh Wolff on Sony.

[​IMG]

ubertrout, ToddBD and ChrisEfterklang like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bartok - Violin Concerto/Eotvos - Seven" performed by Patricia Kopatchinskaja and the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra led by Peter Eotvos on Naïve.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Bachtoven and Soulpope like this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to, from the same Kopatchinskaja CD set as above, "Ligeti - Violin Concerto" with Ensemble Modern led by Peter Eotvos.

jukes likes this.
  19. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Could anyone identify the piece that's playing in this clip?
    Thank you.

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Elgar - Cello Concerto/Delius - Cello Concerto/Saint-Saens - Cello Concerto No. 1" from the "Jacqueline Du Pre - The Complete EMI Recordings" box.

[​IMG]

Hawkman, Mik and john greenwood like this.
  21. john greenwood

How do you like it? I need to listen to it again. (Right now taking a break from classical with some Wayne Shorter.)

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Doesn't have a good beat and you can't dance to it. Probably over my head; only the 2d time I've heard it.

I love music and I love all types of music so I'm a little suspicious of music that leaves me completely unmoved. When I was in college back in the early 70's there was a modern dance teacher who came to a party I was at, and it turned out that she couldn't dance! She taught at the school and had studied with a famous modern dance guy in NYC and had performed in NYC but all she could do is these modern dance moves, and had no groove going on. I mean, she was laughably horrible. She was a degreed, experienced modern dance teacher who couldn't dance. I sometimes wonder if certain classical music composers get lost in the intricacies and details of composing and lose touch with basic music fundamentals. Or, they're just over my head - I'm not the brightest bulb on the planet. :)

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Ligeti, what can I say? If you managed to see 2001 in your youth, there's a good chance that his music will take hold. But you're right, wouldn't fly on American Bandstand.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Beethoven - Piano Trio in E flat WoO38 & Clarinet Trio in B flat/Couperin - Les Gouts-Reunis" from the "Jacqueline Du Pre - The Complete EMI Recordings" box.

Mik likes this.
  25. coopmv

This reminds me of kids learning the new math ... LOL

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.