Gotham-Batman Prequel Series on Fox, Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yeah they are doing a good job of not crossing the line into it becoming a show about a couple of kids puppy love for one another. I'd say this show has hit pretty much every target...good characters, lots of action, just enough humor etc. Lets hope the second half of the season stays this strong.

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Gordon and Arkham, this could be great! Who will he run into? I don't know, but it intrigues me, and I can't remember the last TV show that did that for me!

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The Fall Finale sure proved that!

4. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Monday's episode was the Fall Finale? Dang!

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Two excellent new casting choices:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Very surprised at this show. All great characters...except one. Gordon's girlfriend. The weak link and the pace slows everytime she appears. I hate characters that are purely there to give the main character a vulnerability.

7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

As a huge Batman fan, I thought I would hate this show as it took a lot of liberties with the lore...but surprisingly it is staying pretty true to what we know actually. I'll go even further and say that GOTHAM gets the tone of the Batman universe better than either the Burton or, yes, even the Nolan films. The actor that plays young Bruce is dead on, as are the rest of the characters and cast (Gordon's Girlfriend aside, and even that i think could be fixed by a recast for Season 2.). The real stand out is the guy that plays Penguin. He steals the show every time.

I would love it if this show would last 10 years....roughly long enough to see the Bruce grow into the Batman we know he is destined to become, and of course Jim transforming into the classic Jim Gordon we know. If done correctly, they have enough material for the show to last that long without padding things unlike another certain show about the origins of DC's other caped icon.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Coricama and Lonson like this.
  8. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I think the good doctor, Lesley Thompkins, might have an affair, or something to close to it, with Gordon. In the comics, there's a few different takes on why Gordon's wife isn't in the stories. One of them, is he had an affair and she left him.

9. musicalbeds

Last night, at one point she took a sip of the coffee Jim brought...and for the first time in the series, I was studying the acting. She did a poor job in that scene, and it makes me wonder if she is right for the part.

10. Lonson

I am not sure I see the problem with Barbara Gordon. . . but perhaps it's because that character seems very real to me, like someone in my personal past. Unfortunately. . . . I think the actress is doing an okay job.

musicalbeds likes this.
  11. musicalbeds

I will quibble with that; Bullock is the guy stealing the show, imo. Penguin is excellent, but it's Bullock who has made the best impression on my wife and I.

12. Lonson

Interesting. . .Logue is such a good actor, I feel he's really slumming in this role, keeps me from appreciating him in this role perhaps. I actually like Smith in this show a lot, it seems a good fit for her, she may be the one stealing the show for me.

musicalbeds likes this.
  13. David Campbell

Oh I agree that Bullock is a great character (always a favorite from the comics too), but Penguin....the thing is people still associate that character with the version Burgess Meridith did in the 66 series. Every actor, voice and live action to play that role since emulated at least a portion of his performance. Robin Lord Taylor is making this character his complete own. VERY intriguing.

kevywevy and musicalbeds like this.
  14. David Campbell

Smith has found her footing I think. The first few episodes I was sometimes cringing with her dialog delivery. However, she's smoothed out those rough edges. I still get the feeling her character is doomed to die in the near future...probably the season finale.I could be wrong though.

musicalbeds likes this.
  15. musicalbeds

Ok, I'll give you that; Taylor is defining it his way, and very entertaining as he does. Still, I felt he wasn't stupid enough to confront Fish by himself so soon after his return...the fork in his hand scene... but that's a writing quibble, not an acting one.

16. musicalbeds

Sarah Essen as his boss kinda threw me....she never had that position. After the new 52 she has disappeared from continuity, from what I just read in Wiki; status unknown after Flashpoint, never married to Jim.

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well take the episode that Jim is going to arrest the Mayor and Falcone etc. Knowing she will be a pressure point when it goes down, he tells her in no uncertain terms to get out of town until he says otherwise.

I just tuned to my other half and said "No she won't!"

Imagine my total lack of surprise...

Just usual cliché stuff like that really bugs me in this day and age. What would have been better is when Gordon confronts Falcone and brings out the Gf, Gordon shoots her himself! "I told you to get out of town dammit!!!!"

Wouldn't have seen that coming.*

*tongue in cheek.

18. David Campbell

Ah...don't get me started on the New 52. At least Batman got away with most of his history still intact just squeezed into a shorter time frame. (although his supporting cast in some ways didn't get off as lucky).

I wonder though if this Barbara isn't some sort of red herring and we have yet to meet the real future wife of Jim Gordon and mother to Babs/BATGIRL. Perhaps in this version,this Barbara dies tragically at some point and eventually he marries someone else...maybe even Leslie Tompkins. It would be a left turn in lore, but a realatively minor one that doesn't affect Bruce's evolution to Batman, or Jim's evolution to classic Jim Gordon,

musicalbeds likes this.
  19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Dick Grayson is either not born yet or too young in this continuity to be the designated hostage. *Somebody* has to pick up the slack. :laugh:

20. musicalbeds

I think they have, perhaps, five season decided, and in that time they'll have Jim and Barbara reunite, have Babs, and have Barbara killed. Or, she'll leave because of an affair, die while Jim is having one....something like that. Death seems the most likely.....having Babs mom return isn't really of much value to her storyline, imo, and the death of a main character always adds weight to a story, so why not her?

Btw, I think Fish will be around for a few seasons.

21. Lonson

22. Lonson

23. Lonson

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I like having Jim at the mental hospital.

Adds another element to the show.

Selina looks like she could be Michelle Pfeifers daughter.

brew ziggins and Vidiot like this.
  25. David Campbell

She does doesn't she?

Although I wasn't a fan of her Catwoman....although I WAS a fan of Michelle Pfeifer in tight, revealing black leather. ;):D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.