Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

This 2009 set seems to have 4 discs worth of their collaboration already. Maybe the new box has some non DG recordings.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mik and jukes like this.
  2. john greenwood

I had a Pioneer that played both Laser Discs and DVDs until earlier this year.

Hawkman likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I actually have this 7-CD box as well. Perhaps all the recordings in this new box have already been included in the 7-CD box ...

4. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

WQXR was cut loose by the New York Times and they became a part of New York Public Radio.

In other words, pledge drives.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

6. coopmv

Weren't those laser discs the size of an LP?

7. coopmv

Do you listen to WQXR much? I used to via my FM tuner connected to the rooftop antenna. I still like WNCN a whole lot more ...

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Is it just me, or has there been a flood of boxed sets lately? Are labels capitalizing on the dead?

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Reissuing stuff from the vaults is a lot cheaper than recording and releasing new stuff; that might be the reason. Besides, I'm told some of those big boxes are selling well.

10. coopmv

Indeed, this box is an attempt to capitalize on the recent passing of Claudio Abbado ...

11. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I think it's because this disc is 5.1 surround, as opposed to the 5.0 surround most classical SACDs are in. Deutsche Grammophon seemed to use 5.1 for a lot of their SACDs, leading to a lot of seemingly unnecessary 2-disc sets.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I listen to WQXR more now than I ever have before. Not just because they are the only classical station in this area but because I'm making a conscious effort to listen to more classical music than I have ever done before. Hence, my increased presence on this thread. :)

I remember WNCN especially back when they got a Denon CD player back in the 80's. They would announce when they had played something on that CD player. I missed them when they folded. :-(

http://www.wncn.org

ToddBD and jukes like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Oh, I know, but it seems that there's an excessive number lately.

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

If that is one of Marriner's recordings from the 60s,it either came out first on Argo or L'Oiseau Lyre.I actually have one of his early Handel records on L'Oiseau Lyre in a Blueback cover.
    I have a bunch of early DGG LPs with those covers.Don't believe I ever saw a Richter.
    I started to collect classical records in 1990.Didn't start to buy digital LPs until much later,a big mistake on my part.The 1989 and 1992 Carlos Kleiber New Year's Day Concerts are both rare and sought after on vinyl.I have never found copies of either one,yet.The 1992 New Year's Concert on vinyl can sell for over $300.
    http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext= carlos kleiber new year's&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=dprice&x=0&y=0

bluemooze, Mik and jukes like this.
  15. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

German. "Theorie + Anwendung" was the original working name of the company, therefore, the simple name (I've read somewhere).

Oops, J.A.W. already answered that. Sorry!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  16. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

17. john greenwood

Hmm . . . That made me go back and recheck my 75+ minute SACDs. I don't listen in surround and sometimes the discs don't always say how many channels. But the 2004 "Tommy" (75 min) and, according to info on line, the 2004 "Layla" (77 min) have both a 5.1 and stereo track. Although my search was not thorough, I could not find any other 75+ minute, 5.1 channel SACDs in my collection. This does leave me wondering where the limit might be.

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Enjoying another listen to this great set.

bluemooze, ToddBD, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  19. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Interesting. A number of the early Deutsche Grammophon hybrid double discs are shorter than Layla. Maybe the tech has advanced for DST compression? I also suspect that all the non-hybrid Deutsche Grammophon SACDs probably would have needed two discs if they had been hybrids.

20. john greenwood

The Allmans at the Fillmore was on 2 discs. "Eat a Peach" was on 1. The 5.1 "Blonde on Blonde" (which is 73 minutes) was on 2.
    About half of my 400 disc SACD collection is two channel only, and a lot of the others are 3-5 channel (Living Stereo, quad sourced Pentatones and 5.0 discs) or simply not identified, so I had surprisingly few for comparison.

21. John S

John S Forum Resident

New arrival:

Mozart
    Piano Concerto No. 21 K467
    Piano Concerto No. 22 K482

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
    Jonathan Biss
    (recorded live at Lefrak Concert Hall, Queens College, Flushing, N.Y. All cadenzas by Biss, except No. 21/III: Dinu Lipatti.)

[​IMG]

Wonderful disc, expertly played and recorded.

bluemooze and Fafner88 like this.
  22. john greenwood

Hearing in in recital later this month.

John S likes this.
  23. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I strongly suspect that the disc split is mostly the subwoofer channel being used. Aside from the fact that most classical listeners don't want a subwoofer channel, the fact that 5.0 can go the entire length of a CD - especially as classical releases are increasingly stuffed to the gills - is a major plus. Maybe something like Layla compresses more easily than classical music, allowing more to fit on the disc?

As an aside, I've never understood why two-disc stereo/surround SACD sets split up the program in the same way the CDs are split up. You could easily have the whole thing in stereo on the first disc and in surround on the second disc, without any disruption.

24. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

The liner notes in the booklet give the first publishing date as 1968, so my LPs are the 1985 reissue. Thurston Dart is on harpsichord, and Andrew Davis is on organ. They were pressed in Holland, so no wonder they sound so darn good.

25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable this morning...Itzhak Perlman playing the Beethoven "Kreutzer" Sonata with Vladimir Ashkenazy on piano, a London Stereo Treasury Series import. Fantastic playing and gorgeous sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.