Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 64 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now:

Mozart
    Piano Concerto No. 25 K503
    Piano Concerto No. 20 K466

Martha Argerich, piano
    Orchestra Mozart
    Claudio Abbado
    (Recorded live at Lucerne Festival in March, 2013. Cadenza in K503 by Friedrich Gulda, Beethoven for K466.)

[​IMG]

Glorious hall acoustics and, of course, first rate playing.

Mik, ToddBD, J.A.W. and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This version is well played and recorded, but it's less dramatic than I would expect from these artists.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Got an unexpected [and welcome] gift in the mail from our resident antiquarian, DRH. A carefully packed and rather heavy box of 78's of classical music in very clean condition The selections are symphonic, standard repertoire from record clubs of the 78 era, when an otherwise well-known conductor is performing with a nom-de-disc. There is a lot of representation of Ormandy and also Rodzinski with the NBC S.O.

Thanks David, this is going to be fun.:shtiphat:

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I've said it before, I'll say it again, David is da man!

ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  6. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing,,,
    [​IMG]

Joe071, bluemooze, Mik and 4 others like this.
  7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Back when I got those 78s of the CSO Nutcracker under Stock, DRH digitized his copy and sent me the link to the files, so that I could hear what I bought since I don't have the capability of playing 78s on my current setup. It sure was nice to hear those during the Christmas holiday. The sharing of knowledge, expertise, and kindness on this forum is wonderful.

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

At least your turntable is capable of playing 78 RPM. My turntables have the speed selection but I do not have the stylus to play 78 RPM records ...

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Right now I'm in a bit of limbo. Have a "portable" record player that has 78 speed and a flip-over cartridge. The Sansui table has a cartridge that can accept a 78 stylus, the Shure 97. Do you have the Shure V-15 series? If so, a 78 stylus would be easy. Audacity allows me to transcribe at 33 or 45 and correct the speed to 78 RPM. My intention is to get an Audio Technica 120 table this year. It uses the same headshell as the Sansui, can use the same cartridge, has 78 speed and a wide range of speed control. Also I'm finding that different cartridges produce different results depending on a record's age, wear and so on. Already have one of the Shure 44 bodies, intend to get both styli, the high-output bullletproof version that can track at three grams and the standard model. Sometimes all you really want to do is keep the needle in the groove.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that in my Abbado box. Haven't played it yet.

ToddBD likes this.
  11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I just bought this 3-Lp set and listened to Schumann's first two Quartets. After a steady diet of CDs/SACDs, it's quite a shock to hear how warm and full undigitized string instruments sound--just like real instruments! Needless to say, the playing is sublime.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mik, jukes and 3 others like this.
  12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am a third of the way in listening to this Brilliant box: The Rodrigo Edition, 21 CDs, 2014. There are some well-known artists but also a lot artists that are new to me. Enjoyment so far. Amazon US wants 118.36 currently! I found it at Presto for 41.00.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mik and Robin L like this.
  13. coopmv

Is this CD still available?

14. coopmv

My Thorens TD 126 MK III has a Shure V15 Type V (? it is the last model in that series) while my DUAL CD-750 has a Grado Prestige Gold ...

Robin L likes this.
  15. john greenwood

I have their Brahms recordings.
    On CD.:hide:

:)

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You can get a 78 stylus for the V-15. Re-balance the arm, dial in the stylus pressure level, change the speed and you're in business.

17. john greenwood

Listening now to Callas in Manon Lescaut.

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Haha, no need to hide--I listen to CDs/SACDS about 99% of the time. I'm not anal about analog...;)

Fafner88 and john greenwood like this.
  20. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

So someone else owns a copy of this particular Brahms #1.I have only found one copy of this record,ever.It was about three years ago,also,in a record store dollar bin.This record may or may not be common in the Cleveland area,but elsewhere,it never turns up.It was clearly not a regular Columbia Masterworks catalog issue.I wonder what it was issued for? Cleveland Orchestra subscription premium? WCLV fundraiser?You know?

21. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I don't know the history, but during some searching I found another LP, "Maazel at Blossom" for sale on Ebay (the Cleveland Orchestra's summer residency is the Blossom Music Festival), which is also a Columbia Special Products release, in a white jacket with minimal artwork on the front similar in style to the Brahms. It would be logical to assume that since the Brahms LP dates from their 1973 tour of Australia, almost immediately after Maazel took over the orchestra, the Cleveland Orchestra looked to capitalize on the buzz of their new music director by issuing recordings, in the manners you suggested. Maybe they were available for purchase for members of the Columbia Record Club. Audio Supervision was provided by Andrew Kazdin (big time guy) so this was a top drawer project, and the recording was made for the Cleveland Orchestra Syndication Service, so maybe some LPs went out to stations across the country who carried the Cleveland Orchestra in their programming schedule. The jacket is a nice heavier stock, so I surmise these releases were meant to be a "keepsake," something of value. It's nice to know I've got something a little unusual :D

22. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…mastered by Bob Ludwig at Sterling Sound, just a great sounding LP with excellent performances.
    [​IMG]

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

My question is why does the Brahms album have a drawing of the Sydney Opera House on it. That's not the Blossom Music Center.

[​IMG]

24. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

The Brahms was recorded on their tour of Australia...their final night was a concert at the Sydney Opera House, recorded live...special because they were the first foreign ensemble to perform there.

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

You're most welcome, and I do hope so! One thing that caught me by surprise was the good results--in terms of surfaces, recording quality, and performance--that came out of these "on a shoestring" sessions, limited to two takes for each side, for promotional issues at a bargain price. Clearly RCA Victor, which did the recording honors, had the whole process of running 78 RPM recording sessions down to a science, at least when the artists involved weren't allowed to inject too much prima donna tempermentalism! What also caught me by surprise, as I think I've mentioned in an earlier posting, is what a characterful, forceful conductor Ormandy was at that stage of his career. Rightly or wrongly, he has a reputation for being somewhat bland in many of his LP era recordings, but there was nothing the least bland about the performances he set down for these humble releases in 1938.

Did your P-E tables give up the ghost? I hope not--from what I understand, replacement parts for them are hard to get, at least in comparison to those for the more common Dual 12xx series ones.

Thanks, George--you're being too kind, but I'll lap it up anyhow! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.