SH Spotlight We love LOVE! "Forever Changes" Elektra 1967 recording sessions and dates, studios, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

That's a bonus track, actually. Not on the album proper. I'm not sure if it has a vinyl release ?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Left off due to vinyl time constraints, sad to say. No excuse for it not to be on any digital release. It's a finished, overdubbed, Botnick mixed stereo master recorded for FOREVER CHANGES. Not a demo.

rxcory likes this.
  3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It's a beauty for sure, would have made a great Side 2 opener.

4. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Who cared if the stuff was in print or not?The late 70s and early 80s were a golden age for getting high condition rare original 50s and 60s rock and soul/R&B records,either at thrift stores and yard sales,or in the used record bins where everything was $5 or less.

5. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, right.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I was around in the late '70s and early '80s. It wasn't like that. At all.

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

There was more stuff available, for sure, but the Goodwills weren't exactly filled with goodies in those days.

8. wes

wes Senior Member

I just discovered this thread doing a Forever changes search, after just hearing the new MOFI SACD of Forever Changes...
    Love this album!...

Anyway...

Great story Steve,
    There's nothing like discovering an amazing album and listening to it with a new hot girlfriend by your side... Pure magic... Something that you never forget...

Forever Changes would be wonderful to discover on a hot date.....

I had a similar thing happen with Cat Stevens Tea For the Tillerman back in high school... New girl friend, and this was a newly discovered album...
    I brought it over to her house, We listened to it on her little dresser boom box.. We both fell in love with Tea For the Tillerman, and each other...

So whenever I hear "Where do the Children Play" it takes me back to that moment... That's one of the most powerful things about music... It's a sort of time machine...

mrzpliff, Steve Hoffman and bonnerj like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Without a doubt, the greatest version! Love tape cart.jpg

10. wes

wes Senior Member

That looks like it still has some shrink wrap...

Best version totally if the four track includes a hot girl to make out with...

Oh yeah!... No question....

11. wes

wes Senior Member

[​IMG]

JimD and Peter Pyle like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

As Kat likes to say: "I love LOVE!" kat.jpg

Peter Pyle and AlienRendel like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Ha, just re-reading this thread, forgot I posted this pic of Kat. Made me laugh, she reminds me of the girl who introduced me FOREVER CHANGES, why I posted it.

14. Steve Hoffman

Did we ever find out who wrote this? So great.

15. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

16. Steve Hoffman

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

After many years of not getting this album, I finally got it last week. I think the trick was that I listened through headphones.

zobalob likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

That made a difference for you? Cut through the murk, easier to focus on what is going on? I can understand that.

19. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

The other side of 'Forever Changes' is that it was actually quite a big seller here (apparently #24 on the album charts), and was probably far more widely known in the UK at time of release than it was in the USA in general.

I think I heard 'Da Capo' before 'Forever Changes' - certainly my first purchase was a 45 of 'She Comes In Colors/Orange Skies' on UK Elektra (edited mix of first tune).

I got 'Forever Changes' on a battered stereo LP circa 1982, aged 15. Mind blowing. I was utterly smittin by 'Andmoreagain' and the rest of the album followed suit.

The 2001 CD is fantastic, such a massive sonic upgrade.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  20. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Heard Forever Changes for the first time on cassette on a Walkman in the late-80's maybe--traveling w/my family to the beach in Maine. Strange, beautiful, vividly detailed music. Transported me to another world. Still love it today!

21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Yes! Exactly. It made things fit better. It seemed like the sum of the parts were greater than the whole, to reverse a cliché. And through speakers I now get what was intended that made no sense to me before the headphone experience.

Now to listen to the second disc. I understand it was mastered rather well under less than optimal conditions. :)

zobalob likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, it was. Doesn't have the charm of the original but it reveals some buried instrumentation, etc. Usually I hate that but in this case it's fascinating. Enjoy.

zobalob likes this.
  23. old school

old school Senior Member

Love no pun intended the chatter in between songs on your master Steve.

24. Steve Hoffman

You don't find the chatter distracting?

25. old school

old school Senior Member

No not at all. I think it gives the feeling your in the studio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.