Best Deal Ever? T Rex 'Slider' 40th Anniversary Box For £20/$30!!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jl151080, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

Grabbed one yesterday. Not been a big fan since 1974 and already have it on an ancient CD (Marc On Wax/'Classic Rap'?), but couldn't resist it at that price. I think this was the 2nd album I bought, in 1972 (1st was School's Out) :cool:.

An equally astonishing bargain was their Suede bundle - all five deluxe remasters, each with two (full, IIRC) CDs and a DVD, for £20! I only really wanted the first two, but what the hey! :pineapple:

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Great Travis Bickle avatar!

LSP likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

The debut and Coming Up are the best for me.

4. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Left hand edge, still haven't opened mine, hard to tell if the number is on the box or on the shrink wrap - but they wouldn't do that, would they?

5. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Depends possibly on what other types of music you like. Personally I think on a creative level the 4 Tyrannosaurus Rex albums just have it over the first 4 T.Rex albums - and possess an even more distinctive and unique sound. Certainly the lyrics became less poetic once fame knocked on his door.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

No, still waiting here. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Glad it's not just me!

8. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

OK...bear with me here. The reason I don't have any T Rex/Bolan to date is the lyrics. They seemed, on the basis of the singles, to be poor at best...but the music is, as you probably know, fantastic. I like pretty much everything, punk, new wave, new romantic, electronic, Dylan, Beatles, prog, metal, jazz, Americana, a bit of reggae, two tone, big band, folk and a touch of classical....but poor lyrics make my ears burn, my heart bleed and Bambi weep. Metal Guru, is it you? ....put me off for decades, but I want to enjoy some T Rex, like everyone else!

9. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

"Child Star"
    Mountain eyes, peeping out of his head
    Sipping tea composing in his bed
    A hundred hands working on a musical of old
    Debussy and Mendlessohn
    Handel and Dvorak of old
    Child star protege of Mister Gormez
    Who said you'd go far
    Child star, they do not see just what a precious gem you'd be
    Sad to see them watching you fade into invisibility

Twelve years old, your elvish fingers kiss your Beethoven hair
    The awesome people stare
    They're unaware of all the angel sounds they see and hear
    Debussy and Mendlessohn
    Handel and Dvorak of old
    Child star protege of Mister Gormez
    Who said you'd go far
    Child star and when you died at just thirteen they wept and wrung their hair
    Sad to see them mourning you when you are there
    Within the flowers and the trees

Just one example. Some of Marc's subject matter may not appeal but there's no denying the superiority, lyrically at least, of his early stuff. Of course you may hate the arrangements and instrumentation, but again, I find his early melodies at least as good as those from the
    T.Rex years.

Edit: With Bolan it's often not any logical sense he's after but more the sounds of the words when combined.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Y'see, I didn't know...thats OK (apart from rhyming old with old). A bit of poetic sensibility's all I need. I know not everyone can be Dylan, but it seemed like some of Marcs more commercial lyrics were wilfully poor...I'm going to have to listen to a lot more, and not rush to judgement like I did in my youth.

11. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

Well I think so, but it has apparently upset a couple of crybabies LOL

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

Dog Man Star is their masterpiece IMO, and one of the best albums of the 90s, if not of all time.

Coming Up was fun but lightweight, although perhaps a little light relief was needed after DMS. I once described it as 'fizzy'...it's kind of like reading Viz after Crime & Punishment :D

Jim B., Bobby Morrow and CharlieClown like this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Not sure about that, I'd much rather hear something like the one below ... brilliant stuff ...

Beneath the bebop moon
    I'm howling like a loon for you
    Beneath the Mambo Sun
    I've got to be the one for you

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Against the swampy throb of the music they work well enough.

15. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

My box arrived yesterday so I had good good listen to both the CDs then I listened to Rabbit Fighter cd and then Electric Warrior so I had a bit of a T-rextasy day.

Big thanks to jl151080 for posting this bargain, Im really enjoying it

jl151080, Groggy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Something no-one has actually mentioned here.. How is the sound of the remastered album?

17. Bobby Morrow

I've had days like Travis in your photo!

18. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

In my opinion it's the best you can get.........(so far available, that is)
    I really like what Tony V has done. Until they release the T.Rex catalogue on SACD then i'm happy with it. I have just about every other available copy of The Slider & Electric Warrior and this is the best so far.

mikmcmee and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Thanks. Do you have the SHM-SACD of Electric Warrior that's been reissued in Japan recently? If so, is it worth getting?

20. Bobby Morrow

I should probably try again with Dog Man Star... Only listened to it a few times.

21. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

I think it sounds great, Ive got the Marc on Wax version of this CD but I do prefer this new remaster its got more umph

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. kazzard

kazzard Forum Resident

Ha, ha, call me blind or perhaps just suffering from a sudden surge of T-Rexstacy! Yep, it is there on the left hand side of the box. Mine is 868/2000. Many thanks.
    Hard to believe this hasn't sold that well. I'm guessing the Tanx/Zinc set (limited to 1500) sold even less well?

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I picked DMS up for 50p in a charity shop the other week - it had been years since I gave it a listen.

I was quite floored by its impact, after such a long gap - hugely ambitious, the kind of ambition that you'd assumed had become a dirty word in rock by the 90s.

Suede were never a 'major' band - their influences were too obvious for that - but what they did, they did supremely well. The final track on DMS - 'Still Life' - is the Scott Walker ballad that Scott never thought of.

24. howardg6

howardg6 Senior Member

my Slider box was shipped on 13th Jan according to the email from Demon but still hasn't arrived - whats your situation

25. howardg6

howardg6 Senior Member

wow as soon as I sent this post it arrived. Massive thanks to
    jl151080 for the original post and everyone who kept us up to date on the availability of the release

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.