X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

They are talks to possibly restart the series with David & Gillian?
    Good idea? or Bad idea?

I have the whole series it should of never went so long as it did.
    Is there that much a fanbase to do this again as there use to be?
    And what can they do differently?

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I wish they would do another movie. I really enjoyed the last one. I'd have to watch the reboot to see if it's good. A great TV show, even if it did overstay it's welcome. I don't think they need to do anything differently, they just need solid writing and stories. The rest will take care of itself.

Holy Diver and JimC like this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Sounds good to me. The mythology arc is still open and there is plenty of room for stand-alone episodes. Anderson sounds like she's on board, encouraging fans to tweet #X-Files2015.

‘The X-Files’ Reboot: Gillian Anderson Trying To Bring Back Fan-Favorite Show

[​IMG]
    Hopes for an X-Files reboot just got a big boost when the show’s star, Gillian Anderson, joined an internet-fueled movement to bring back the popular ’90s drama.

The show ran for more than 200 episodes from 1993 to 2002, building up a strong cult following around FBI special agents Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Anderson). Along the way, the show earned a number of awards, including multiple Emmys and Golden Globes. It also spawned two movies, and recently fans have mounted a campaign to bring it back to television.

In an interview with Nerdist, Gillian Anderson said she is on board. She called on X-Files fans to show their support by tweeting the hashtag #X-Files2015 to Fox’s Twitter @FoxTV. Anderson added that she would be “f—ing overjoyed” if the show got a reboot.

Gillian Anderson has been active lately in finding ways to bring X-Files back to fans. Last year, she teased the idea about doing another X-Files film, once again calling on Fox to help make it happen.

“We could crowdfund an ‘X-Files’ movie,” Gillian told Bloomberg TV. “That (funding issue) is ultimately what’s keeping it from happening — other than Fox giving the go-ahead, which is not a small issue.”

But Fox may not be too quick to revive The X-Files. The latest movie, 2008’s The X-Files: I Want to Believe, was only able to draw in the most hardcore cans. The box office bomb earned just $20.9 million, likely giving Fox pause about bringing it back again.
    As Gillian Anderson suggested, crowdfunding could be the answer. This method of taking funding directly to fans allowed director Rob Thomas and actress Kristen Bell to make a Veronica Mars movie. A new X-Files movie also appears to have the support of David Duchovny and show creator Chris Carter.

Even if there is no reboot for The X-Files, Gillian Anderson could still have a supernatural movie in her future. She is reportedly campaigning to join the cast of an all-female Ghostbusters update.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1763089/th...erson-trying-to-bring-back-fan-favorite-show/

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

no sense in another show. things really did get buttoned up after a ton of episodes. another movie is what we really need.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

A mini-series to tie up the loose ends of the mythology arc is another possibility.

marblesmike and Quark1134 like this.
  6. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I'm in, especially if the Lone Gunmen are back!

Dave, Tex_Writer, RickH and 4 others like this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I lost interest about 2/3 of the way through the series and missed the second movie. It all seems like ancient history to me now.

That said, I'd give a new series a shot.

quakerparrot67, JimC and Hawklord like this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

How is it a reboot if you use Gillian Anderson & David Duchovny?

Darryl

lbangs and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  9. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I just finished watching this series for the first time. I thought it was outstanding, even the final two seasons were enjoyable to me. I would be very happy to see it revived. It is good to see that Gillian Anderson is on board. Hopefully David Duchovny would also come back. They have a very special chemistry.

Dave, Encuentro and chrischerm like this.
  10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I think if they get Gillian and David on board there's loads of potential to pick up where they left off. The movies were both decent but may have been better as two part tv episodes (though that lowers the budget of course), I enjoyed them anyway though and thought the criticisms were a little harsh.

Bring it on, it's bound to be better than the majority of the other crap they are dishing out now....just don't over-hype it to the point that everyone is disappointed because of overblown expectations. (nah, networks and hollywood would never do that would they?)

Dave likes this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The Lone Gunmen all died in the last season (as did the smoking man). Of course it's the X-Files...

12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

The cigarette smoking man better be in or forget it.

Actually, everything after the first movie was anticlimactic.

JimC likes this.
  13. it would be cool but only if they don't try and recreate the original and bring something new to the table.

quakerparrot67 and misterdecibel like this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The two-parter, Two Fathers and One Son, in season 6 was pretty climactic, in my opinion. They disclosed nearly everything about the alien conspiracy and most of the Syndicate was wiped out by the flame thrower wielding faceless rebel aliens. The season 8 finale was pretty damn cool as well. The Super Soldier story line took some heat, but I enjoyed it.

JimC likes this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

"Reboot" seems to be kind of a loose term.

16. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

The Lone Gunmen were brought back in comic book form. I am not sure but I thought that Chris Carter said it was canon, meaning they could come back to a new series. I hope that is true. I hated it when they died in the final season. The cigarette smoking man seemed to die a very certain death. I guess it is possible for him to come back, but that maybe stretching it. Still I would be alright with it if they could plausibly explain how he survived. William Davis is a great actor and played a great character. Bring them all back I say.:righton:

Dave, chrischerm and Encuentro like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Interesting that this gets announced about a month after Amazon bailed on show creator Chris Carter's comeback show The After. And David Ducovny's cable series Californication just ended a 7-year run. Coincidence?

I just hope they spend the first 10 episodes of the new X-Files explaining all the loose plot threads and mysteries left unanswered from the last show... :sigh:

Dave and Encuentro like this.
  18. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

It was kind of a disappointing show for me. I always hoped that they would really get into disproving conspiracy theories and show that all these "paranormal" things weren't really happening (or even possible).

Deesky likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Like Scooby-Doo? :)

20. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

more like a big budget Penn and Teller going after the ********ters, only with real actors

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, which is why I dropped in somewhere in season 1. It never felt like it was really going anywhere.

22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Maybe they can discover a mysterious island in the south pacific.

Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The mythology arc was but one aspect of the show. Of approximately 22 episodes per season, perhaps 5 episodes were devoted to the mythology story line. Some of the X-Files best episodes were the stand-alone episodes: Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and Jose Chung's From Outer Space, just to name a couple of outstanding stand-alone episodes. There were so many.

JimC, marblesmike, wayne66 and 2 others like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the show was actually about the age-old conflict between faith (Mulder) and science (Scully), and the fact that sometimes the truth is sometimes inbetween. And 90% of the episodes from day 1 showed that many of the mysterious events that happened in the show were the result of supernatural, alien, or unexplained phenomena... not faked.

I have it on good authority from a show insider that most of the writing staff and producers rarely cared about having the show make sense or to make the storyline consistent. They did some "clean up work" in later years to try to rectify it, but I think the reality is that X-Files is kind of the poster child for fanciful shows that kind of went off the rails in terms of any sense of logic or common sense. To me, the best SF/fantasy shows are those that are anchored in some kind of (made up) reality, to the point where they're at least consistent. Fringe and Torchwood are two examples I can think of where there are very few loose ends, and the vast majority of the shows more or less make sense -- to a point. Lost, Twin Peaks, and X-Files... not so much.

Jim T and wayneklein like this.
  25. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I've seen Duchovny on a couple of late-night talk shows express interest in doing the role again, as recently as last year. I'm all for them bringing it back and it would almost have to be better than that last movie they did. Hope they stay away from the conspiracy/shadow government stuff and stick with aliens & strange monsters, self-contained episodes.

Moonbeam Skies and misterdecibel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.