Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MLutthans,

Your oddball is exactly what I own. I have that variation. Definitely an RCA Victor pressing.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Oh, you mean this one?
    [​IMG]
    For the record (no pun intended), that's not one of my recommended choices, but one of many that I own.

mick_sh likes this.
  3. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Nope, mine is pressed in the UK and has this number---->SW1-1053. Not sure if this pressing is recommended or not-but I'm recommending it to myself since it's my first copy. ;-) Tried to upload an image, but the option seems to be off limits to me as a new member(I'm guessing).

4. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Currently spinning the UK 1984 "Dell" series LP.

Very impressed with the sound on this one.

5. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I went one step further with my newfound Sinatra mania-and picked up a new copy from Mobil Fidelity that should arrive soon(an Ebay sealed).

TrueStory likes this.
  6. TrueStory

TrueStory Forum Resident

You won't be disappointed, bought mine a few weeks ago, terrific record!

7. MLutthans

Yep, that's a goodie (IMO). The one thing that I still just can't quite figure out is why one track, It's a Lonesome Old Town, was in good-sounding mono on that stereo LP, yet it appeared in the UK in stereo 8 years prior.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I'm starting to suspect that as a general practice, EMI was laying in wait (so to speak) for all of us future-world Sinatraphiles by providing us with many questions to wonder about.

TrueStory, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  9. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

After going through a few different stereo versions from boxed sets, etc (and not willing to shell out for the MoFi), I finally came across this record today in mono, super clean and there were two copies . . . one was D and one was an N - both very nice. I thought I remembered that the N's were the first cuts? Hoping I'm right . . . I wanted to buy both, but at $10 each, I bought the N. It sounds great - Frank's voice is right up front. Some light crackle, but I would be surprised to see a copy this nice again for quite a while if ever . . . The D maybe was in a little better shape, but I thought it was a later press - the labels were slightly different, too. I'm not a huge Capitol/Sinatra buff, so I get a little confused, but my gray label Wee Small Hours is an N cut and that is nice (albeit noisy). Thanks for the help.

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

"D" and "N" are not necessarily older or newer cuts. They refer to location of where the lacquers were cut.

funknik likes this.
  11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The labels would help date it with the earliest pressing having the Capitol logo w/vertical text on the left side, next a Capitol logo w/spire in the place of the text and finally the Capitol logo in the 12 o'clock position.

12. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Is there a consensus on which might be better? The D was hand-etched. The N copy I got has the nine o'clock Capitol w/vertical text . . . the D was a different variation of the rainbow label, but not at 12 - couldn't say after that.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

*All else being equal*, a "D" cut should beat an "N". More than not they do, though not always.

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I'd take a machine stamped "N" cut over a hand etched "D" cut any day. In my experience, Capitol Sinatra records with the machine stamped matrix sound better than the ones with the hand etched matrix.

funknik likes this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd bet those hand etched ones were pressed in LA vs Scranton. The pressings tended not to be as good from there.

16. MLutthans

That appears to be the June 2, 1958 edition of LIFE magazine on the chair:
    Frank_Sinatra_3SHTV.jpg Frank_Sinatra_3Detail.jpg 1958-June-2.jpg

Simon A, jtaylor, MMM and 4 others like this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

18. MLutthans

@bozburn purchased (out of curiosity) a "DOL" (EU copyright expiration label) LP release of this album, and was kind enough to send along a clip. Apparently all 12 tracks are in stereo, but not from the original mixes. The bit that I heard sounded like it was the Walsh remix, cut to vinyl.

19. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Me too - today.

Can't wait to hear it......

soundfanz likes this.
  20. jpyy

jpyy Well-Known Member

Hi!

First of all, I have say that this forum is wonderful and I've been reading here as a guest for a long time and it has helped me a lot when hunting down great pressings of mostly Sinatras capitol records.

A few weeks ago I got my hands of a copy of Only the Lonely in mono. It is printed in the UK but I haven't seen this pressing before. I have both Rainbow labels and original Grey label pressings of Sinatras other recordings but I haven't seen this kind of Capitol/EMI-label anywhere else.

Anybody know anything about these pressings? To me it doesn't sound as good as the Grey and Rainbow labels. The record itself is very silent with almout no extra noise and in great shape, but sadly the sound is a bit muffled in my opinion.

It would be nice if anybody knew more about these kind of pressings?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr6exn2ru3nfer0/2015-01-19 13.03.02.jpg

21. MLutthans

@jpyy - welcome!
    2015-01-19 13.03.02.jpg
    That label was used for many years in the UK. I am somewhat surprised to see it used for a MONO reissue of this LP, as, to my knowledge, the label style is from the 1970s.

Here, for instance, is a photo of a 45 I have showing a re-issue of the Bing Crosby/Grace Kelly duet from HIGH SOCIETY, issued, I believe, to coincide with the untimely death of Ms. Kelly in 1977:
    [​IMG]
    (Pardon the lousy Photoshop job.)

I supposed it's possible that EMI in Britain chose to keep the 12-song mono LP in print, while pulling the 10-song stereo LP and releasing the 12-song stereo version -- in jumbled running order -- that came out under this title in 1973:
    R-1119928-1394966884-5787-1.jpeg.jpg

jpyy likes this.
  22. jpyy

jpyy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply @MLutthans . I guessed that it was some kind of re-issue from the seventies. As I said I don't really like the somewhat "muffed" sound of it, so I guess I have to hunt down one with the Rainbow-label. The Rainbow and Grey label Sinatra records that I have sound more crisper.

23. MLutthans

I assume you know this, but just in case you don't: The rainbow label STEREO version, which came out after the original rainbow MONO release, will be missing two songs.

24. MLutthans

@jpyy - I think that the label type can be pinned down to a very brief time period based on info from this Beatles-releated site pertaining to the type, number, and location of EMI logos on that particular label:
    Screen shot 2015-01-19 at 2.53.11 PM.jpg
    Note that later variations of that black logo used a different style EMI logo, sometimes two of them.

jpyy likes this.
  25. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone will yell at me for an unnecessary and duplicative thread, but I've plugged it into a search and damned if I can find it. So if someone can point me to it, I'd be much obliged.

That said, I just heard Jonathan Schwartz say that copies of Only The Lonely 33 1/3 LP covers exist with Lush Life listed. Can anyone verify this? I'd sure like to see an image of this.