The Time Travelers (1964) - Amazon streaming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jtiner, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else like this one? It's a pretty good B movie that still entertains..... I stumbled upon this yesterday as a Prime offering and watched it for the first time since I saw it as a Saturday afternoon TV movie 40 years ago.
    Obviously, it's a bit dated in places, but I think it's a good story and they pull off some stuff that was different for the time (android workers, transporters, nuclear apocalypse mutants, etc.). There was also at least some effort to make it reasonably realistic and based on science.
    I've never seen the movie available on disc, so it was great to see a reasonable print of it. Unfortunately, it's a 4:3 letterboxed version, and there's some occasional dirt evident, but overall it looks like it came from a good print and was much better that I was expecting.
    I liked the cost effective way they pulled off the time portal effect..... the actors step through the time portal just a few feet in front of a rear projection screen and exit to the right walking behind a boulder placed in front of the screen; then they reappear in the rear projection from the right. I love the way it collapses, too.
    I'm sure this movie provided some ideas for quite a few television shows (and not just Time Tunnel....).

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Great. fun flick for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jtiner

And I thought that was just a tanning machine the women were using....hmmm. Great artwork.... thanks for posting.

4. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I would have seen it anyway, when it first came out, but it had a nice cameo by one of my heroes, Forrest J Ackerman. Here he's making, for some reason that'll most likely make sense in the future, square things out of round things (or the other way around).

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I saw it at a matinée at the Reseda Theater (with a Japanese Sci Fi movie called Atragon or something like that) in 1966 for 30 cents with my buddy Jeff. I had a sleepover at his house which was nearby and his mom let us walk to the movies. I loved it. Would like to see it again. Isn't this the film that had the orgasmatron in it or some such thing like that? Lost on me as a kid..

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. jtiner

Well, according to the poster art above, the tanning booth may have been a love machine..... or perhaps it was the lighted, multi-color acrylic keyboard gadget and corresponding visual display they called the "lumichord". There was a mention of its designer in the credits, and apparently it's really a "lumigraph".

7. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

The Orgasmatron was in "Barbarella". If I remember correctly, Jane Fonda overloaded it..... But that didn't stop it also becoming a Motorhead album several years later.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

No, that was in Sleeper, in Barbarella Durand-Durand refers to it as the Excessive Machine.

Kit2010 likes this.
  9. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

Ah, you seem to be right on that! For years I've been thinking the gizmo in Barbarella was an orgamatron, not that I think of it much, honestly.....

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.