Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yes, in 1997 and 2009. :)

2. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Someone?

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Tried. Struck out.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

You gentlemen confirmed what my gut was telling me....stereo for orchestra. Thank you. I purchased this just a few minutes ago on Amazon. Used, from a small library somewhere in New York State. It said that the cds look okay and that the case was slightly scratched. I've purchased rock CDs with worse descriptions that were just fine. I'll give it a good home....and I will be helping a small public library. :)

image.jpg

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've heard those CDs, have half the contents on an old UK pressing and its Seraphim reissue in the states. Wonderful performances, pretty good recordings for their time.

Mik, ToddBD and Hawkman like this.
  6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I've only ever had one Delius album and that was back in the early 80's. I don't recall if it was on Angel or Seraphim but it WAS one of those two. I had heard a Kate Bush song about Delius and was curious. At that point in time....and somewhat NOW....I tended to buy classical music based on my mood. If it had a nice cover and titles like 'Summer Night On The River', it came home with me. I recall that the album was wonderful. Very evocative. Just what I was looking for. I'm sure this cd set will be perfect.

Mik and Robin L like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sounds great! I own only about half a CD of Delius works, conducted by Ormandy. Haven't listened to it in awhile, so I plan to give it a spin this weekend.

Now enjoying Richter play all but 2 of the 24 Debussy preludes. Minstrels and La fille aux cheveux de lin are omitted. These are live performances, so the usual crowd noise (coughing) comes with the package.

[​IMG]

Mik and Hawkman like this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

bluemooze, how do you like this CD? I have had this CD in my collection for quite a few years ...

9. coopmv

Has BBC created a big box of Richter's recordings?

10. coopmv

:righton:

11. coopmv

Thanks George. This is the box to skip as I do not care much for most of the CD's ...

12. George P

I don't think so. I wish they'd do one for Cherkassky, actually. As many of his BBC CDs are now long out of print. :(

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I enjoyed listening to this very much. She's OK in my book. :)

14. john greenwood

I count 7 BBC Cherkassky discs on Spotify.

15. George P

Yeah, hearing them there has led me to want the actual CDs. BBC often has interesting liner notes, too.

16. john greenwood

Listening to the Nimbus box via Spotify.

17. john greenwood

Looks like Presto has most (all?) available for download at CD quality. The one I looked at included a pdf. Can you download from Presto into the US?

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Now playing, Beethoven's Waldstein Sonata, Op. 53, C major, Wilhelm Backhaus piano. This is a old, red/gold label London mono recording, LLP 265. Makes me want to hunt down more from this series. A rather stern reading. Being as this is mid period Beethoven, an ideal affect to go along with the clean passagework. Very solid recording. Being as it cost all of $1, feel no compunction about immediately replaying this 60 year old LP.

[​IMG]

Love the note on the bottom right corner of the back cover:

TO OBTAIN BEST POSSIBLE RESULTS,
    CLEAN RECORD WITH A BARELY DAMP CLOTH.

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  19. coopmv

Unfortunately, historical recordings for orchestral works, i.e. those recorded before the 1950's, are almost exclusively mono (save the experimental Fantasia recording made by Stokowski in the late 1920's or early 1930's IIRC). Listening to those recordings is just my way of "reliving" the historical performances and that was the rationale for my purchase of the following box by Furtwangler, whom many consider the best conductor of the 20th century ...

[​IMG]

Hawkman and bluemooze like this.
  20. coopmv

A beauty who can play piano, priceless ...:winkgrin::righton::agree:

bluemooze likes this.
  21. George P

Ah, the mono set of Beethoven sonatas by Backhaus. Apparently, he was EMI's second choice to record the first Beethoven sonata cycle, just behind Artur Schnabel. Backhaus's mono set of the Beethoven sonatas is a bit better in performance than his later stereo set. On the other hand, the stereo sound on the later set wondeful, is one of the best sounding piano recordings I own. This is the stereo set I have:

[​IMG]

Looks like new copies can still be had for $32.

Mik, bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Requiem K626
    — Philharmonia Chorus and Orchestra — Carlo Maria Giulini (Sony Classical)
    [​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  23. coopmv

I bought the box in 2009 based on your recommendation ... :righton:

24. coopmv

If I am not mistaken, this recording should be included in the following box, which I have yet to open ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Yes, it's in that box, which is what I have. I've been (slowly) enjoying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.