Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yep. The Sokolov disc was available about a week ago in Europe--good price, too.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

One of the best recordings of "The Lark Ascending" and "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" is the following recording with a very young Iona Brown on the violin. I added the CD to my collection a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

This recording is also included in this reissue with many other good stuff in addition-

[​IMG]

Joe071, Mik, vanhooserd and 1 other person like this.
  4. coopmv

I don't like twofers that feature multiple conductors and multiple composers since it is impossible to file them correctly ...

5. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I solved that problem by creating a multi-composer section, one for piano, one for chamber, one for vocal and one for orchestral.

John S and ToddBD like this.
  7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Similar to what I do.

8. coopmv

But did you really completely solve the problem? It is still going to take you some time to locate a CD or a twofer that has a mix and match subgenre, i.e. vocal vs. orchestral.

9. George P

Yes, I did.

That other thing that you described hasn't happened to me.

10. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I put each album in a separate folder, write the names of the composers and the performers in the album's folder name, and then I use the windows search function to locate the composer/piece/composer that I want (and putting a thumbnail pictures of the album art makes the search even easier).

Edit: you meant locating the physical CD or computer files?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

It took a while, but I got the Squeezebox software to work for me. For classical music, I use a combination of the composer and principal artist in the "Artist" field (e.g. Beethoven Szell) for each work. For a disc with more than one composer I can choose to listen only to the pieces from a specific composer or I can select a track and then use the "info" option to get the software to "reassemble" the entire album. It gets a bit more complicated, but that's the concept.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Whoa...a used copy now sells for $75, and a new one will set you back $500!

13. coopmv

Physical CD. I have never spent much time other than ripping the CD to my hard-drive to computerize my music collection, i.e. I have never bothered to re-arrange the tracks, etc. I have ripped about 500 CD's to my HD, out of some 6500 CD's. I have yet to start on my LP and open-reel collections ...

14. coopmv

Now playing CD13 - H35, H38 and H39 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  15. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Dang..and mine was sealed for awhile...lol

But the sound quality and playing are great...the palpability of the instrument is very high!

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I just found a 320 mbps download for the best price ever. ;) It does sound very good indeed. I'd still like to have the CD when it's available for a more reasonable price.

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wow-wee! No one beats the balls-to-the-wall intensity of this performance. The 24 bit/96kHz remastering sounds great--aside from a slight shrillness in the upper strings and brass. You'd never know it from the cover, but this also includes a fine performance of Walton's Viola Concerto by Yuri Bashmet.

[​IMG]

jukes and bluemooze like this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Oh man...it's all one track! I definitely want the CD at some point. Lovely music in addition to fine sound.

19. coopmv

Now playing CD45 - Cantatas Nos 147 - 149 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is a great twofer IMO.

21. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a rip of this Rach 3, as played by Gavrilov and Lazarev/Russian SO.

Joe071, EasterEverywhere, Mik and 4 others like this.
  22. coopmv

:righton:

23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have and love that LP! I heard Gavrilov played the Rach 3 a few nights ago with the St. Petersburg State Symphony--it was quite electrifying. I've heard more accurate performances but none as intense or dramatic. I met him afterward--he's a warm, friendly man, too.

EasterEverywhere and Daedalus like this.
  24. George P

Of course he is. He's a Virgo. :cool:

25. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

In the 80's I had Ma Vlast on a laserdisc. It segued from the orchestra playing to shots of the country. It was great. :)

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.