Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My "World Record" stereo reissue of "First Cuckoo" is dated 1956.

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Gavrilov is outstanding.So many outstanding piainists recorded for Melodiya back in the day,and never received any recognition.I do not own that one,but I have other Rachmaninov by Gavilrov.One of those names I never expected to pop up here.

3. EasterEverywhere

I must have a good 400 or more London and Decca monos from 1949-56.Out of what? 1200 1300 or more,counting 10" ers.One of the few classical labels of this era you need to check the condition on before you buy them.Unlike,say Columbia and RCAs.For some reason a good 50-60% of the mono Londons you see are VG or less,why I don't have a near complete run,like I do of those other two labels.

Now that most of the thrift stores where I live no longer sell vinyl,I would have a very hard time putting together a classical collection today.Glad I started 25 years ago.

4. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable tonight…a Command Classics LP, Beethoven Symphony #7, Pittsburgh SO/Steinberg. I have to admit, this has been languishing in the basement since I bought it an estate sale years ago because it was an "orphan," meaning I hadn't ever seen any other LPs like it, so I relegated it to the "I'll get to that eventually" stack. Even though my pressing is a later one (white label, after they had been bought by ABC) the recording and sound quality are fantastic. The reading is quite satisfying, and though there are quite a few opinions about the sound quality and, shall we say, "unique" stereo separation on these recordings, this one's a winner in my book.

EDIT: At the end of the fourth movement, there is a blatantly obvious attempt to sonically highlight certain instruments at certain times for effect…woodwinds, timpani, trumpets…it came across as pretty unnatural, which then made total sense given all the stuff I read in the liner notes about the myriad different types of microphones used, using ones that sound best recording certain instruments, etc. Too bad.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Mik, bluemooze and EasterEverywhere like this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Sony handled that defective CD #37 really well IMO ...

6. coopmv

Now playing CD1 of the following twofer via my local Spotify, i.e. ripped at 24/192 in WMA format to my HD ... :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  7. coopmv

Lynne Dawson was excellent and Hilary Summers was quite good as well. IMO, Dawson is the best soprano in the UK for these works, i.e. sacred oratorio after Emma and her voice is also more powerful. Compared with the Messiah DVD by AAM/Hogwood, I like the video shoot of this DVD a bit better, as the camera was not completely focus on the soloists as was the case with the AAM/Hogwood DVD. The choir, the orchestra and Cleobury all received fair amount of attention. IIRC, I never ever saw the face of Hogwood or members of the AAM close up and the camera either just telescoped into Emma Kirkby, Judith Nelson and the other soloists the entire time, or showcasing the interior of the Westminster Abbey ...

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is a wonderful recording. Korngold was one talented 12 year old! All of the pieces are played with great feeling. Excellent sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jukes, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Wow--you ain't kiddin'! As luck would have it, I do not have the LP but do have a copy on 78s, Columbia set MM-747 (MM=automatic sequence), which I picked up at a Friends of the Library store--now, alas, defunct--back in November 2001. On the strength of your commendation, I got it out and gave it a spin, I think for the first time, and it really is quite the whirlwind performance. Thanks for nudging me into getting it onto the turntable!

bluemooze likes this.
  10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I preferred the Rossiniana suite on this disc:
    Resphigi:
    Church Windows
    Brazilian Impressions
    Rossiniana

JoAnn Falleta
    Buffalo Philharmonic
    Naxos, 2007
    [​IMG]
    The acoustics at Kleinhans Music Hall seem to be amazing.

I have Church Windows on a 45 rpm LP from Reference Recordings in 1984. Will have to spin that.
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, Fafner88 and 1 other person like this.
  11. EasterEverywhere

Those Command records were produced by C. Robert Fine.I have two or three dozen of them,too.

ToddBD likes this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I believe he was the engineer, but not the producer. In fact, I've never seen him credited as producer on anything.

13. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I just LOVE Church Windows, why it is neglected in comparison to the Roman trilogy is a mystery.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the above performances. First spin.

Mik, Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Haydn - String Quartet Op. 33 Nos. 5 & 6" performed by The Aeolian String Quartet on Decca.

(pic of the 2009 CD box)
    [​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "The Salieri Album" performed by Cecilia Bartoli with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment led by Adam Fischer.

[​IMG]

dale 88 likes this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying another first spin. This time it's Annie playing the Bartok 3rd PC. A 1955 recording conducted by Markevitch and the LSO.

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Piano Sonata No.8 K310, No.12 K332, No.15 K545 — Maria Joao Pires (DG)

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  19. George P

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Are you nearly a completist for Annie Fischer's recordings? :winkgrin:

21. George P

Nearly, yes.

22. coopmv

How many recordings did she make? I am sure it is nowhere near what S Richter had made.

23. George P

The EMI stuff is all in the new box.
    The Hungaroton LvB sonata set.
    About 4 Hungaroton CDs, mixed composers.
    About 4 BBC CDs.
    Two Palexa CDs.
    At least two Dante CDs.

That's what I am aware of (and I don't have it all.)

24. coopmv

There is a new EMI box? The one I knew was not an expensive box and really did not have many CD's ...

25. George P

That's the one. 8CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.