Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How is the box new? Was it remastered again? I thought it was 8-CD in the last iteration ...

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The DG box Ferenc Fricsay – Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon, Vol.1: Orchestral Works (45 CDs) also has a few recordings with Annie Fischer.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I didn't get it.

4. George P

Her Beethoven PC 3 with him is the best that I have heard.

Robin L likes this.
  5. coopmv

Really? I did not know Annie Fischer had recorded with DG? Did she ever record works of JS Bach?

6. coopmv

Is this the box you have?

[​IMG]

7. George P

No, I don't have that. I have the older EMI issues of most of that stuff.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

She recorded these works for DG with Ferenc Fricsay/Bavarian State Orchestra:
    • Mozart: Rondos for Piano and Orchestra, K382; K386
    • Beethoven: Piano Concerto 3, Op.37

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

10. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

The best recording of this piece IMO. Issued on LP in mono, and I believe this Artist Profile was the first stereo issue.

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

TheClassicShop has a few on other labels that may be public domain, ICA, Documents, Guild Historical and Archiphon. The oddest is the Brandenburg Cooncerto No. 5 in D, BWV 1050, conducted by Klemperer.

http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Sea...cboFormat=any&cboCategory=any&cboCriteria=any

Three of those search results aren't Annie Fischer.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've never investigated Annie Fischer--perhaps it's time I did!

It's hard to go wrong with this combo of musicians! Very good sound as well.

[​IMG]

Joe071, Mik, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

john greenwood and bluemooze like this.
  14. coopmv

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Contents:

1. Jascha Horenstein

Mahler: Symphony No. 8/Barker/Hatt/Giebel/Meyer/Watts/Neate/Orda/Van Mill/BBC Chorus/LSO stereo

2. Evegeny Mravinsky

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8/Leningrad Philharmonic stereo

3. Emil Gilels

Scarlatti: Sonatas K.141, 27, 125, 247, 533; Schumann: Piano Sonata No.1 Op.11; Prokofiev: Toccata Op.11 minor; Tchaikovsky: 3 Pieces from 'Six morceaux Op.19; Bach: Aria variata all maniera italiana BWV989

4. Arturo Toscanini

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis/Milanov/Thorborg/Von Pataky/Moscona/BBCSO & Chorus

5. Sviatoslav Richter

Chopin: Ballade No.3 Op.47, Scherzo No.4 Op.54, 4 Mazurkas Op.24, Barcarolle Op.60, Debussy: 10 Preludes from Book 1

6. Sviatoslav Richter

Chopin: Andante spiniato & Grande Polonaise Op.22; Liszt: Piano Concertos Nos 1 & 2; Hungarian Fantasy S123/LSO/Kondrashin

7. Carlo Maria Giulini

Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition, Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.6/Philharmonia

8. Mstislav Rostropovich

Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No.1/Leningrad Philharmonic/Rozhdestvensky; Schumann: Cello Concerto/LSO/Britten; Haydn: Trio XV:16 (with Emil Gilels & Leonid Kogan)

9. Dennis Brain

Beethoven: Quintet Op.16 for Wind Ensemble; Dukas: Villanelle; Marais: Le Basque; Mozart: Quintet K.407 Brahms: Tro Op.40

10.Igor Markevitch

Stravinsky: Rite of Spring, Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini, Mussorgsky: Songs (with Vishnevskaya) /LSO stereo

11.Janet Baker

Schubert Lieder/Johnson/Isepp/Parsons stereo

12.Clifford Curzon

Liszt: Piano Sonata in B minor; Sonetto 104 del Petrarca; Berceuse; Valse oubliee; Haydn: Andante & Variations Hob.XV11.6; Schubert: 3 Impromptus D899/2; D899/3; D899/4

13.David Oistrakh

Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto/RPO/Del Mar; Brahms Violin Concerto/LPO/Sargent

14.Arthur Rubinstein

Chopin: Piano Concerto No.2/Philharmonia/Giulini; Chopin: Ballade No.1 Op.23; Mazurka Op.56/3; Scherzo Op.54/Etude Op.10/6; Etude Op.10/8; Etude Op.10/9; Andante spianato & Grande Polonaise brillante Op.22

15.Pierre Monteux

Cherubini: Anacreon Overture, Wagner: Siegfried Idyll, Debussy: Iberia, Schumann: Symphony No.4, Berlioz: Marche Hongroise/BBCSO & LSO

16.Sir Thomas Beecham

Chabrier: Gwendoline Overrture & Espana; Mozart: Divertimento K.131 (excerpts); Delius: Brigg Fair; Sains-Saens: Le Rouet d'Omphale, Berlioz: Royal Hunt & Storm; Massenet: La Vierge: Sommeil de la vierge; Debussy: L'Enfant prodique: Cortege et Air de danse/RPO

17.Wilhelm Kempff

Schubert: Piano Sonata D566; Impromptu D935/2, Brahms: 4 Ballades Op.10; Romance Op.118/5; Intermezzo Op.118/6; Intermezzo Op.76/4; Schumann: Piano Sonata No.2 Op.22 stereo

18.Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli

Scarlatti: Piano Sonatas K11,332,172: Beethoven: Piano Sonata No.32 Op.111; Clementi: Piano Sonata Op.12/1, Chopin: Piano Sonata No.2 Op.35

19.Annie Fischer

Beethoven: Piano Sonata ' Moonlight' Op.27/2 & 32 Variations WoO8O; Chopin: Scherzo No.3 Op.39; Mozart: Piano Sonata No.14 K.457; Kodaly: Dances of Marosszek; Haydn: Andante & Variations Hob XV11.6 stereo/mono

20.Gennady Rozhdestvensky

Shostakovich Symphony No.4; Katerina Ismailova Suite/Philharmonia stereo

bluemooze likes this.
  16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I read this opinion today.

“It says something about Haydn’s aesthetic vision that the best performances of his symphonies, by and large, have all been on modern instruments, whether Szell and Cleveland, Bernstein with various orchestras, Mackerras and St. Lukes, the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra–even Klemperer or Scherchen.”

I know some here on this forum promote the period instrument approach, but I have come down on the side of modern instruments for his symphonies. I do like Adam Fischer also, but not to the exclusion of other conductors. For instance, Bruno Walter has a delightful recording of the Oxford symphony No. 98 with the Orchestre De La Societe Des Concerts Du Conservatoire in Paris 1938.

I have probably given more of my time listening to period instrument approaches to his symphonies than to my preferred performances – trying to decipher the appeal of period instrument approach. For example, I have been listening to Christopher Hogwood’s period instrument Haydn box. I don’t have a quarrel with his conducting. But the sound eventually puts me off. There are too few instruments for my taste (despite what an American professor told Hogwood about Haydn’s forces). The sound is too lean. Then we come to the sound of the lead violinist. It grates. If I had been Haydn, I would have given up composing after the first 24 symphonies:) if my lead violinist sounded like that.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  17. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I braved the elements to get this CD from USPS..Travelled from the fatherland!

[​IMG]

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  18. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I totally agree with you. In the past I enjoyed some HIP recordings of Mozart and Haydn, but nowadays I just can't. I can't stand the shrill vibratoless string-quart-sized violins, the trash-cans tympani, the out of balance brass and the unmusical and metronomic conducting. listening to Bernstein with the Wiener PO or Karajan and the BPO in Haydn just sounds like a different composer than what you hear with Hogwood et al., the HIP orchestras just sound like school bands in comparison (and I don't care whether it's 'historically accurate' or not, I only care whether it sounds good).

bluemooze and dale 88 like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You didn't mention the source of the quote; it was David Hurwitz who wrote that in his review of the George Szell Haydn Symphonies set on the Classics Today site:
    http://www.classicstoday.com/review/reference-recording-szells-irreplaceable-haydn-symphonies/

[​IMG]

That said, I love my HIP Haydn sets by Christopher Hogwood, Roy Goodman (though the sound is too spacey), Trevor Pinnock, Frans Brüggen, Bruno Weil, and Sigiswald Kuijken, as well as the non-HIP recordings by George Szell (excellent), Colin Davis and a few others - but not Herbert von Karajan or Leonard Bernstein :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    rockerreds, jukes, Mik and 3 others like this.
  20. George P

drh and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

Personally, I only have problems with Beethoven Symphonies performed on period instruments, as those works should have big sound IMO. As Haydn was a transition figure between the baroque and the classical periods, I feel that I can live with the leaner sound of an HIP ensemble performing his symphonies ...

bluemooze likes this.
  22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Great set.

rockerreds likes this.
  23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

oh please :rolleyes:

24. George P

Sorry, man. Just a joke. And was intended to be at Hurwitz's expense.

drh likes this.
  25. coopmv

I wonder who has a larger circle of followers, David Hurwitz or Norman Lebrecht? :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.