Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Why the hate for David Hurwitz? I see it here and elsewhere. Maybe it's because I don't live in the U.S., but I don't understand it. OK, he's often very outspoken in his reviews and I sometimes don't agree with him at all, but in my opinion that's no reason to dislike the guy. I must be missing something.

jukes likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Did my joke about Hurwitz imply hate for him? That surely was not my intention.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No, but you added that it was intended to be at Hurwitz's expense and that doesn't sound very positive. Anyway, my question was a general one. I've often seen people saying negative things about him and I was wondering why - as I said I must be missing something.

4. George P

I think what you are missing is that different people have different opinions of things. I am sure there are many things you love that others hate and vice versa.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Of course people have different opinions of things, but that's not the point of my question. What I meant was that I've seen people attack Hurwitz - not so much his reviews and opinions, which would be OK, of course, but him personally and I was wondering why. What's he done or said that antagonized people so much?

6. George P

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I guess that would be a question best answered by those he has antagonized. Personally, I find his reviews funny.

7. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I'm more of a rock man and don't contribute much to the classical thread but I feel compelled to praise a cd I picked up in a charity (thrift) shop the other day: Richter - Schumann's Symphonische Etuden OP.13 (Studio Recording Salzburg 1971). Never have I heard such a deep whilst both powerful and delicate piano rendition. Richter takes is to the edge frequently but just as you feel as though he's about to lose control he drags it back from the brink each time. A truly stunning album. As soon as I finished listening for the first time I checked out samples from all other pianists I could find who had recorded these Symphonische Etudes but none compare, they all seem to romanticise the piece too much and none have the power of Richter.

This is the disc - A Five Star Recommendation from MC :)

[​IMG]

Bachtoven, Joe071, Mik and 3 others like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's why I posted a general question without quoting your post; it was not aimed at someone in particular. I was hoping that maybe somebody would be able to answer it. And yes, some of his reviews can be funny.

9. George P

That great performance has been issued many times. It can be found for around $5 new on amazon on this CD:

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere, Mik and MC Rag like this.
  10. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I don't always agree with Hurwitz, but I like his straight no-bullsh*t approach. Has anybody read his stuff on the history of string vibrato? He did a really amazing scholarship on the subject, and completely refuted some of the HIP orthodoxy concerning orchestral vibrato, like Roger Norrington's fantasy that orchestras begun using constant vibrato only after WW2.

11. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

But at least the later Haydn is closer to Beethoven than to baroque, don't you think? In my opinion, pieces like the London symphonies just don't work with baroque sonorities.

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Performing the late Haydn Symphonies by an HIP ensemble is similar to Karajan or Klemperer conducting the Brandenburg Concertos using a full-sized orchestra on modern instruments - not the best arrangement to be sure. At least Marriner did it mostly correct with his ASMIF ...

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I found this on e-classical.com in a 24 bit/192kHz FLAC for $19.98, so I bought it. Sounds great--considerably more open and dynamic than the MP3s, plus I have access to individual tracks!

14. coopmv

MP3 music is garbage. I ripped all my CD's at 24/192 in the WMA format ...

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Actually, the MP3s didn't sound all that bad, but the hi-res FLAC is way better. I just wish I could play them through my Esoteric's USB input rather than my Oppo's, but the Esoteric won't play directly from an external drive--has to be connected to a computer, and since they are in different rooms, that won't happen anytime soon!

16. coopmv

I use an external DAC and my Dell desktop is in the same stereo rack (made by the now defunct CWD - Custom Woodwork Designs) so running the USB from my desktop into the external DAC is easy ...

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Me too, have two copies of the Heilidor [U.S. reissue of DGG originals] reissue of the LvB third PC.

George P likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

19. coopmv

Now playing DVD2 from the following twofer for a first watch/listen ...

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

DVD2 is even better and is nothing short of a classical music journey through the second half of the twentieth century, as narrated by Richter himself. The interactions and partnerships Richter had with the likes of Munch, Britten, Karajan, Gould, Rubinstein, fischer-dieskau and fellow Russian artists Kagan, Rostropovich and Gavrilov, were just awesome. Richter's description of Karajan as stubborn was right on the mark. The Mozart piano duet by Britten and Richter was very enjoyable ...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  21. George P

Glad you enjoyed it! And I am so glad that it is back in print, with better video quality than ever. A truly special documentary about a very special pianist.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

PriceLes$ was an odd little budget label from back when CD was still a pretty new proposition. I don't think it lasted very long, but some interesting material (as far as I can tell, mostly or all reissues) popped out on it. For instance, I have a couple of two-piano recordings on that label by Veri and Jamanis that are really quite good, and I also have a Bruckner 4th with Furtwangler and the VPO. More to the point for this discussion, PriceLes$ issued at least one other Annie Fischer disc, Schumann's Fantasie and Kreisleriana on D18894.

23. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the disc player tonight…one of my all time favorites. There is just nothing like this performance of Song of the Nightingale.
    [​IMG]

Joe071, vanhooserd, Mik and 3 others like this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, welcome anyhow, and thanks for the recommendation! If you follow the thread for a while, you'll find that Richter is quite widely admired here.

MC Rag likes this.
  25. coopmv

How about that Mozart piano duet (or piano on four hands) between Richter and Britten? Is it available on some CD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.