SH Spotlight We love LOVE! "Forever Changes" Elektra 1967 recording sessions and dates, studios, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrentNC

BrentNC Forum Resident

Wasn't feeling well this morning and stayed in while the wife went to church. My 2001 Sundazed vinyl made for a great Sunday morning listen. Arthur Lee's vocal delivery is so effective at conveying the emotion and imagery of the lyrics. Truly one of the greatest rock and roll albums ever made in the US( or anywhere!)

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

"Wonder People" was seriously considered for the LP? I never knew that. I wonder where it would have appeared in the running order ("and I do wonder, yeah"). It's a great song and certainly sounds fully produced.

As I recall, the 2001 CD gave us a modern mix of this track; the deluxe CD reissue has the original unused 1967 mix.

3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

For me it was tough. At first, for about 3/4 of the way through I liked the 1970's mix better (I'm doing cheap headphones on the computer) for it's seemingly cleaner and detailed presentation -then I matched the levels and tried to A/B going back and forth and towards the end it dawned on me that I think I prefer the vocal integration with the rest of the sound of the first one, and the second puts the vocal a bit on top of it all.
    The original has something I don't get in the second -can't put my finger on it yet, though.
    So I would go with the original mix.

zobalob and Steve Hoffman like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Agreed, it has the "sound" that the rest of the album has, that vintage sound lacking in the remixed version. Also, in the remix, Arthur's little vocal melody line near the end just hangs there. In the real mix, Bruce Botnick reinforces Arthur with some reverb..

zobalob, ubiknik, Mal and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I like my Forever Changes rhythm section like my Astrud Gilberto - hard left :thumbsup:

dino77 likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Afraid I can't help on the recording dates but, as others have said, it's great to have even this much information.

We can nail the canarde that Neil Young had anything to do with The Daily Planet, can't we?

I first heard this album in the summer of 1986: I'd heard Da Capo the previous year and hadn't quite 'got it'. FC was the way in: a case of love at first hearing. It still blows my mind that this incredible music was being created just as I came into the world (August 1967).

The 80s was a tough time to be discovering psychedelia: a lot of the stuff we take for granted now was oop (in the UK, I can't speak for elsewhere) and FC was only available with the classic band picture on the back replaced by one of an aged and stooped looking Arthur wearing a very bad toupee.

One of only two 'perfect' rock albums ever made, imo (the other one being Blood On The Tracks).

7. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Steve, I'm reading this post of yours the first time, seating at the Fish Grill on PCH next to the Jack In The Box...small world...Forever Changes is such a unique and beautiful album in my opinion, one of my top favorites.

Mal likes this.
  8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I had a thrift store scoop of the stereo vinyl original of this lp that was in the VG range that I had recorded onto CD and then sold off, probably about 6 years ago and that was my first proper intro. It took awhile but after playing that a bit I realized that I had to get a nice copy, and I got the Rhino repress and a copy of Da Capo on Sundazed.
    They both did a fine job.
    I read the story about the car tape and cruising around CA early in the thread and it brought back some memories.
    I was born in Gardena, CA in 1960 and spent most of my youth in Norwalk, CA until my family moved to Lake Havasu in late 1973, living in CA back in those days was definitely the best.
    The only familiar culture from that big city that existed in Havasu was a Jack in the Box, although at one time around 1975 there were actually 2 record stores in town!
    Anyway I remember the Doors legacy from biking around socal in those days via some stenciled Doors logos I used to see here and there, peppered amongst the Chicano gang graffiti.
    I believe the radio I would listen to was KLOS fm. For a while we had a border living with us who rode a Harley, had a guitar and played in our living room one night, a killer rendition of Here Comes The Sun.
    I also remember begging my aunt to take me to see Let It Be, and 2001 Space Odyssey in the theater.
    It just seemed like in those days you couldn't go anywhere in that area without getting a good dose of the hip culture of the times, so yea it's kind of a great place to recall.

zobalob, vonwegen, Tuco and 1 other person like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Excellent!

I bet the onion rings at the Malibu/Pacific Coast Highway Jack In The Box are no longer 20 cents...

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I remember you could get a hot dog or taco at Pup n' Taco for 19 cents...
    and A&W (in Norwalk anyway) had the best killer burger for the outrageous price of 59 cents, but it was worth it somehow.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  11. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Hadn't seen this thread before - and oddly enough I'd been listening to Forever Changes again recently. I don't play it too often since I played it a lot years ago. Funny how this album ties so many of us to memories of former romantic partners...........about fifteen years ago it served as the soundtrack for a relationship I was in with a gal I was crazy about, but the whole thing was not meant to work out. Bittersweet music for bittersweet memories for me.

One of these days I need to get a copy on LP. Are any versions favored over others? Is the Sundazed the go-to vinyl version? Thanks to all for sharing stories, pictures and info.........great stuff!
    ---------- Chris

Mal likes this.
  12. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I have heard this album playing in the background (always with chatter going on it seemed) a few times at some old friends homes over the years. Never in a setting to really soak it in, then it was pretty much out of my thoughts for years on, as nobody seemed to have it any longer. Then I picked up the Rhino vinyl reissue, sat down alone with the lp and a cocktail glass of Larceny bourbon and proceeded to be blown completely away. I was forever changed..

psychtrailmix, sixelsix and JuanTCB like this.
  13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I dig the Rhino, myself. Gold label Elektras are good, too, if you can find one in decent shape.

14. CrimsonPiper

$2.19... :)

15. Steve Hoffman

Really? It's been a zillion years. I used to love Jack In The Crack junk food as a teen. Their fried tacos and those apple pies, etc. So bad for you but we didn't have much money and the food was yummy. What does it taste like now? Can't imagine it's the same. 28316_387780974462_372041429462_3680773_8007545_n.jpg

16. CrimsonPiper

I wouldn't know (just saw the price), stopped eating that stuff myself in my twenties when on top of all the things you mentioned the body also wouldn't even let you know if you ate something unhealthy...

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This was what I was up to last Friday in one of our other wonderful threads. Nice to see some Love for Love. :edthumbs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

19. Steve Hoffman

Da Capo came out in November of '66? Forgot that. 7&7 IS was out in summer. Long time in between.

vonwegen and apple-richard like this.
  20. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

This companion to Steve's 4-track was my introduction to Forever Changes. When I was actively collecting 8-tracks in the 90s I kept hearing collectors talk about it. One day I found a sealed copy and once I played it I was hooked, although I have to say the LP and MFSL sound a little better than the 8-track....
    [​IMG]

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Flo and Eddie bought ring jobs from there!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

That must have sold like 12 copies.

23. Telegam Sam

Telegam Sam Active Member

On Facebook, I posted on Johnny Echols' page that I had heard some of the guitars were played by other people. His response was angry but understanding.

When I met him at a recent gathering, I apologized. He vociferously told me that every guitar note was played by either him or Brian.

Not really what you're looking for but any little bit might help.

zobalob and vonwegen like this.
  24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It has no doubt been said several times across several threads by several people but I think the stereo mix of this album really is tasteful and timeless. Whereas a lot of other "classic" albums of the period have awkward stereo mixes, this one just sounds so natural and right...

...like Strange Days. I think Botnick knew what he was doing.

25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

He did a much better job on Strange Days, imho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.