Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Starting the morning with Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra performing a potpourri of baroque favorites (via Spotify).

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  3. John S

John S Forum Resident

This is the first of Bernstein's 3 recordings of M2, recorded at the Manhattan Center, NYC, 1963.
    This version is the favorite of our former Mahler aficionado Jay F:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/classical-music-corner-thread-3.168039/page-23#post-4036394
    This version was remastered and available in the Mahler Carnegie Hall box:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/classical-music-corner-thread-27.256672/page-9#post-6759771

Zafu and john greenwood like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD4, the last CD - conclusion of Dioclesian and the Masque, etc from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

5. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

NorthyNY Mark wrote:
    - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/classical-music-corner-thread-65.405235/page-40#post-11776157

Agreed on the former issue (no coincidence). One day, I should listen the Shostakovich Quartet. I won't wonder if there are similarities. Cross is classically trained, and if I'm not totally wrong, Crimso was his first rock experience. He sure knew a lot of more or less classical violin works/literature.

6. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

This evening three times the Elgar Concerto. It's that good. As are the 21st century recordings.

[​IMG]

I've noticed that I appreciate more and more James Ehnes. Just great recording. Philharmonia Orch. does fine work with Andrew Davis (from 2007).

Other two recordings are by Hilary Hahn with London SO & Colin Davis (2004), and by Thomas Zehetmair with Hallé Orch. & Mark Elder (2010).

After those, I think, it's time for couple of Larks...

ToddBD, bluemooze and dale 88 like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Finally got my new system. Now listening to: Dvořák: Symphony 9, Op.95 - Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra - RCA "Living Stereo" hybrid SACD, CD-layer.

[​IMG]

8. john greenwood

I have the Hahn on SACD.

9. john greenwood

What did you end up getting?

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A Naim CD5 XS CD player and a Naim Nait XS2 amp - already had a pair of KEF LS50 monitor speakers. It's now an all-English system.

Joe071, bluemooze, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  11. john greenwood

Is that the Naim that serves tea and scones at 16:00?

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:laugh:

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Symphony 3, Op.55 - Otto Klemperer/Philharmonia Orchestra (1955 mono recording) - Otto Klemperer - Beethoven: The Orchestral Recordings - 10 CDs, EMI (now Warner), disc 7

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Joe071, royzak2000 and 3 others like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Bruckner: Symphony 7 - Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam (1979 recording) - Philips

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze, Mik and 2 others like this.
  15. coopmv

This should be a good recording ... :righton:

16. coopmv

Now playing CD11 - Bruckner 3rd from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. Don Jo

Don Jo Forum Resident

From CDJapan:

Received these 2 SHM-SACD's on Tuesday, the 27th, a week after they were mailed. Very happy with the buying experience. The discs were carefully packaged in resealable plastic.

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.6 [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
    Evgeny Mravinsky / Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGG-9049

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.4 [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
    Evgeny Mravinsky / Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGG-9047

5 stars!
    I've already ordered the Tchaikovsky #5 SACD also by Mravinsky & the LPO.

ToddBD, bluemooze and Mik like this.
  18. coopmv

Now playing CD1 of the Mendelssohn series - Symphonies Nos 1 & 5 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Joe071, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I like this one a lot as well, have two LP copies, the first an early grey-label Columbia, the later one of the Grey/Orange pressings from the 70's. Happen to find great things in all three of Bernstein's commercial recordings of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony.

20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I really like his opening of Symphony No. 4 by Mendelssohn. I don't have that box, but thought this set had the best sound of the Mendelssohn when I compared a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  21. john greenwood

I listened to Solti's traversal with the LSO from the Decca Analog Box. Not my favorite performance by the sound was marvelous. Next - Kodaly and Kertesz. (I'm actually skipping over the Schmidt-Isserstedt Beethoven 9th for this evening as it would be just too much after the Mahler.)

22. coopmv

They are probably the same recordings ...

23. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Scarlatti collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

I guess my Mendelssohn Sym. choices would look like this:

#1 - #3: Masur/Gewandhaus

#1a, in Busoni's arrangement for 4 pianos, 8 hands, the Paratore bros. (by default; I don't think there's another recording)

#4: toss-up: Toscanini/NBCSO or Koussevitzky/BSO (preferably the earlier one)

#5: Mitropoulos/PSONY

And don't forget the youthful String Symphonies. I have two complete sets, a fairly modern one led by Ross Pople on Hyperion and an old one, originally from Vox, led by Jorg Faerber. Both are quite nice, with my recollection being that Pople is a bit more restrained but polished, Faerber more energetic but a bit rough (I really should revisit both sets to confirm that, however; it's been a long time since I played anything from either). Aside from those, for nos. 6, 7, and 10 I nurse a fondness for Ensemble 13 Baden-Baden on a Pro Arte LP.

ToddBD, Mik and dale 88 like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just listened to: Franck: Symphony in D minor, Op.48 - Pierre Monteux/Chicago Symphony Orchestra - RCA "Living Stereo" hybrid SACD, CD-layer

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Joe071, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.