Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm now listening to: Mahler: Symphony 3 - Claudio Abbado/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra with Jessye Norman, the Konzertvereinigung Wiener Staatsoper and the Wiener Sängerknaben (1982 recording) - 10 CDs, Claudio Abbado - Mahler: 10 Symphonien, DG; discs 3-4

[​IMG]

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Starting the morning with Geminiani cello sonatas - Pleeth, Webb and Hogwood (via Spotify).

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have received my Monteux RCA recordings box and am working through it starting from the oldest recordings with San Francisco in the mid-forties originally issued on 78s.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have his live recording with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra. I recall not being thrilled with the sound, but I need to give it another listen to focus on the performance.

5. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Yesterday, the conductor Israel Yinon has collapsed and died during a concert. I had the privilege to interact with him briefly on a Hebrew classical music forum, he was a really lovely person and had an interesting personal story of how he became a conductor, you can read it here-

http://www.timesofisrael.com/renowned-israeli-conductor-dies-on-stage-during-concert/

He has devoted himself to the promotion of neglected 20th century composers, especially of Jewish decent from the German speaking countries. There are many interesting recordings that he'd made on CPO and Decca, like this disc which is a big favorite of mine

[​IMG]

And now I'm listening to his recording of a symphony by Paul Ben-Haim on spotify, that I would also recommended. May he rest in peace.

ToddBD, John S, NorthNY Mark and 3 others like this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's the one with Swedish contralto Anna Larsson, one of my favourite singers. I don't have that version, but I do have his 1999 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic, also with Anna Larsson.

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig van Beethoven – String Quartet No.2 Op.18/2, No.6 Op.18/6 — Alexander String Quartet (Arte Nova—Sony Music GmbH)

[​IMG]
    Although I got this for a steal (67 cents per CD), I can still complain about them not including any recording dates.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

His recordings from that period include some real winners. I'm especially fond of the Franck Sym.; does the CD issue preserve the original's bizarre cover art? That's my nominee for the strangest album cover of the 78 era.

9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Mentioned at the end of the last thread,I believe Heliodor was a DGG budget label.It lasted a lot longer in Germany than it did in the US and Canada.I have a couple of Heliodors from the 60s,pressed in Germany,that are the only issues I have seen of some of Roman Totenberg's Polish recordings.One is the incendiary recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto Stanislav Wislocki.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Revisiting a couple of old war-horses that I haven't listened to in many, many years: Beethoven: Piano Concertos 4, Op.58; 5, Op.73 - Maurizio Pollini with Karl Böhm/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1976 and 1979 recordings) - DG

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Joe071, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

I have an online friend who has reviewed dozens of Emperor concerto recordings and that one is his favorite.

12. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Thank you so much. It was also highly recommended by another member recently but just can't find that post. It's ok. I ordered that specific #2 in SACD and should receive it next week. I'm very very excited as it normally sells for quite a bit of money but was able to find it at a more reasonable price.

Will touch back in after receipt and listen.

All the best. -Zafu

[​IMG]

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, he's not wrong in my opinion. I remember being very excited when the LPs came out in the 1970s. It was Pollini's heyday in my view.

kevinsinnott and jukes like this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Pollini remained to be quite popular through the 80's ...

15. Daedalus

No the recordings from the 78s period have generic cardboard cd slipcases that replicate a brown paper 78 sleeve with label repro. The later LP era recordings have the orig covers. The Living Stereo issue of the Franck is reproduced-1961 recording. The 1950 Scheherazade is terrific cover and recording.

16. coopmv

Now playing CD19 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze and Mik like this.
  17. coopmv

BTW, Emma sang in the Vivaldi cantatas ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  18. coopmv

Now playing CD20, the last CD with more choral works by Emma Kirkby and Judith Nelson from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky – Symphony No.6 Op.74 "Pathetique", Romeo and Juliet, Overture-Fantasy
    — London Symphony Orchestra — Antal Dorati (Mercury Living Presence)

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

I have the following 5-CD box ...

[​IMG]

21. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

One of the better ones,but generally as a rule for Mahler I like Kubelik,Barbirolli,Klemperer,and Solti the best.

ToddBD likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Too bad. Here's what you're missing:

[​IMG]

23. Daedalus

Wow. That is something! Perhaps it's time for me to start collecting 78s. My Thorens has 3speeds including 78. I also have the additional spare tonearm.

drh likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Renaissance Choral Music For Christmas" performed by various groups on Nonesuch.

For fun, I unboxed a turntable that had been stored away in its original packing for at least 20 years. A budget P-mount Technics SL-QD33 with a bottom-of-the-line Grado ZTE+1 cartridge ($30 back then). Sounds amazingly good, much better than you would think, with no inner groove distortion (IGD) and excellent speed stability (think sustained piano notes.)

[​IMG]

Mik and john greenwood like this.
  25. John S

John S Forum Resident

I didn't know that recording was available as SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.