Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following LP from my baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Schubert collection ...

[​IMG]

Ansermet, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

Mik, EasterEverywhere and ToddBD like this.
  3. coopmv

Here is a 1960 recording and yet the LP sounds better than many recently remastered CD's ...

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

To be expected from the 60s Decca/London catalog

ToddBD likes this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have not heard an Ansermet/Suisse CD that sounds decent. They all sound bad IMO.

6. coopmv

Performance or SQ?

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Sound quality.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to: J.S. Bach: Violin Concertos, BWV 1041-1042; after BWV 1055; after BWV 1056 - Rachel Podger/Brecon Baroque - Channel Classics, hybrid SACD

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

This LP sounds almost as good as the best Philips LP's I have heard, both in terms of the dynamics and surface noise ...

10. coopmv

Rachel Podger gives Viktoria Mullova a run for the money and is clearly one of the best violinists of her generation ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That Rach 2nd is in the Decca Box.

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Drool. I would steal that from you in a second.

13. coopmv

I bought the LP while I was in grad school. I am just starting to enjoy my LP collection like I never did before. The desire for listening to clean music meant I was never too happy with the LP sound early on. :righton:

bluemooze, vanhooserd and ToddBD like this.
  14. coopmv

Isn't there an Ansermet big box out there?

15. coopmv

Now playing the following LP (another London Phase 4) from my Berlioz collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There are 3 Ansermet Decca boxes that I know of, The Great European Tradition, Russian Music and French Music. I don't have any of those sets, Ansermet is not one of my favourite conductors and his orchestra, l'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, isn't one of my favourite orchestras. Maybe someone else here can give you some info.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  17. coopmv

I have a 6-CD box titled "Decca Recordings 1953-1967". I also have his Beethoven Symphonies London LP box and an unknown number of other LP's (my LP collection is not cataloged on computer like my CD collection) ...

18. coopmv

The SQ of this LP is also excellent and it looks like it is a 1969 recording ...

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I guess I should have said "there are 3 big Ansermet Decca boxes that I know of", 31-33 CDs per box.

20. coopmv

About to play the following London LP from my Beethoven collection. This will be the last LP for the evening ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just got it in on SACD

22. John S

John S Forum Resident

This afternoon...

Mahler
    Symphony No.3

Anna Larsson, contralto
    Arnold Schoenberg Chor female voices
    Tölzer Knabenchor

Lucerne Festival Orchestra
    Claudio Abbado
    (live, 19 August, 2007)

[​IMG]

I have treasured this production for some time now, and while it may not be my favorite M3 recording, it is nevertheless a first rate production. The Lucerne orchestra are hand-picked musicians from all over Europe and the resulting performance is world-class. The monumental first movement comes off very well, although I would like a less polite "death on the march" sound during its first few minutes.

The inner movements are quite good. The minuet is nicely light, and the 3rd's post horn solo is admirably played although the horn sounds just like another trumpet off in the distance. To me, the post horn's sound should be between a trumpet and trombone, yet more aggressive than the "French" horn. The solo is impeccably played by Hannes Laubin, one of the three trumpet playing brothers who've quite some reputation inside Europe. Kudos also go to Jörgen van Rijn, principal trombone for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, for his work here.

The radiant Anna Larsson, in a fabulous red gown, delivers a flawless performance. I've always felt that Mahler should have written more for the solo voice, especially given the talent here, but it is what it is. Ms. Larsson is perfect here, in a part that seems effortless for an artist of her quality. Abbado gives the last movement's Ruhevoll a profound air, which I think is Mahler's best slow movement. I don't know if this is common practice, but at one point in the last movement the trumpets and trombones drape their horns with black cloths, achieving a subtle and beautiful mute, played along with a 4-part divided first violin section (at rehearsal #26).

ToddBD, Mik, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  23. john greenwood

I should check to see if the disc in the DG box is from the same performance.

24. john greenwood

That was the cover on my 3LP set (Book 1 only) from the 1970s. Is it a Japanese source SACD?

25. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I believe it is from Japan (if that is what you mean by sourced ??).

I also have the LP set, and have a beautiful 1st pressing of the first single album that I found in near mint condition, beautiful sounding record...

I bought the SACD because the Well Tempered Clavier, at least to me, is very dense music, and it takes me awhile to process the whole thing (not like an Archie's record). I only know most of the first book, but not much of the second book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.