Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I don't know if this is just me, but it seems that ever since Jann Wenner launched the mammoth ship we all know as Rolling Stone, there has been an overall attitude that absolutely nothing of note happened between Buddy Holly's plane crashing & that of the Beatles' arriving five years later. Oh, some rock histories cite the craze we all know as the twist and all its related movements , but it seems they don't want to make any effort to try to dig deep into the stars & trends of the era. And while some might just think of Fabian & wave their hand in dismissal, a lot of real talent got thrown out with the bathwater.......The Kingston Trio, Shirelles, Freddy Cannon, Hank Ballard, Lee Dorsey, Dee Clark, Del Shannon, Dion & the Belmonts, Johnny & Dorsey Burnette, Dick Dale & countless others. Not to mention the Brill Building which gave us Goffin & King, Barry & Greenwich & Mann & Weill, not to mention Neil Sedaka, Don Kirshner, Neil Diamond & Paul Simon.....all seemingly overshadowed by one man named Spector. I know that many on this board overall prefer the post-Pet Sounds Classic Rock era, but is there anyone else that treasures the so-called "JFK years" that seem to get such short shrift in the books & documentaries?

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I love those years! I have many great records made in that era. Most of Rick Nelson's releases from those years are his best IMO, Chuck Berry's output shines '59~'61, The Ventures were using Fenders then and sounded great, the birth of surf happened then, Dion returned to rock 'n roll in '61, Dick Dale released his seminal Miserlou in '62 ... there was so much great music being recorded it's hard to know where to begin.

But you're right, those years get light mention. Lots of former rock 'n rollers got funneled into MOR/'adult' pop with string backings, etc., in those years and it diluted the mix.

But if people think nothing was happening then, check out The Fabulous Wailers ground zero take of Richard Berry's doo-wop/rnb hit Louie Louie:

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Late 50's early 60's music is great. No gap.

4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Most of these folks were not alive in the early 60's.

5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I don't think anyone *dislikes* that period, they just forget about it.

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

No real matter to someone who really likes music.

I dig stuff from the 20, 30, 40's and I'm child of the late 50's.

Age matters little if you really dig music you'll not be tied to an era based on when you were born.

Some folks are just closed minded when it comes to music they cling to a short span in time when they were the most impressionable, generally the teen years age 13-18 give or take a few years when it come to music that they really relate to and dig. Sad.

7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I love a lot of the music from the late 50's-early 60's. Some truly great pop came from that era - it had a certain innocence that makes it very appealing. Love stuff like "Teen Angel","Tell Laura I Love Her" & Neil Sedaka's hits like "Calender Girl".

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

If you really like music, you discover it, you don't "forget about it". IMO. YMMV.

9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'm over 55 and like a lot of 40's music.
    Nothing turns people off than someone telling them whether they like music or not. What gives you the right to judge people you don't even know?
    I have a niece who loves Big Band music from the 30's and 40's................You should check your self.:rolleyes:

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's part of the urban myth that The Beatles made everything better. Every time someone hears an early soul record or a surf instrumental Jann Wenner dies a little inside.

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

:magoo::chill::magoo:

quicksrt, Paulwalrus, RogerB and 7 others like this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Who needs Hendrix when you've got The Fickle Chicken?

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well, there were still some great LPs being made by 50s era artists in the early 60s, Sinatra obviously as well as Julie London and others. My memory of it in terms of shall we say younger styles was that it backslid somewhat from the more aggressive late 50s era Presley and rockabilly music. It was a bit smoother, blander or more professional production. The Liberty sound with Bobby Vee and light ( white or black) R&B/soul were fairly dominant at this time. It was also heavily biased towards 45 singles with all the dance hits by Chubby Checker, The Dovells etc. Younger pop artists didn't follow the lead of Sinatra etc and produce consistent LP length material except for a few by The Everly Brothers. So apart from the older artists, my interest is more in the great singles that came out from 1960-63.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  14. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident Thread Starter

This also seemed to be a golden era for blues; John Lee Hooker had his one moment in the "Top 40" sun with "Boom Boom". Not to mention his Vee-Jay labelmate Jimmy Reed with "Honest I Do", for starters! Freddy King, B.B. of course, Lightnin' Hopkins, Etta James, Ike & Tina on Sue.........the list is quite remarkable! Doo-Wop had some of its greatest contributions with tunes like "So Fine" by the Fiestas, "My True Story" by the Jive Five, and long forgotten acts like Lee Andrews & the Hearts. "Try The Impossible" is just stellar........

Crimson Witch, Grant, Suncola and 5 others like this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That was so cool! Makes me think of Link Wray's Run Chicken Run.

Crimson Witch, Jimmy B. and Michael P like this.
  16. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The British invaded and the everyone got fab and let their hair grow long. The music of the era does get respect from those that matter.

17. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

That was the calm between the storms. And usually storms leave a longer lasting impression.

18. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

It's my favourite era by a mile!

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Welcome to the forum bosskeenneat‬. You're right, "rock history" always tends to skip over this period which was very rich. I wouldn't say "disliked", it's more like "misunderstood", "neglected", "forgotten". Plenty of people love that era here though.

20. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I don't think anyone dislikes or has forgot music from that specific period. Unless they just don't care for older music, period.

22. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Great ?. I was born in the 60's and grew up with a Motown loving mom and a Country Music loving dad. I guess that's why I like Rock n Roll lol. Anyway, your right Imo. I really don't pay to much attention to that time in music unless I happen to hear something that strikes me. For example, I was watching "Bones" one night on tv. I don't know why, channel surfing and left it there. At the end of the show, the guy in the show was leaving to catch a plane. As he was leaving the song, "He Called Me Babay" by now I know, "Candi Stanton". I ended up buying the album. When something I like catch's my ear, I'm all in. I'm just haven't caught up with it all yet.

DHamilton and Bosley like this.
  23. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Who takes any notice of Wenner?

MielR, Dusty Sommers, somnar and 20 others like this.
  24. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Wipeout, Money , The Twist, the Times they are a changing, Shakin All Over. Plenty was happening

mooseman, MaggieMac, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  25. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I guess cause it was right in between the birth of rock and roll in the mid-50s and the British invasion of 1963-4. It was overshadowed by what came before and after it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.