Ryan Adams - Love is Hell MFSL vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Great set you got there, i love mine! It sounds better than the original for sure and is the definitive version of this set...and what a great record. Mind you, i envy you for getting it for that price!

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yes, this does sound great. Better than the double 10". Not sure about Ebay though. I sold mine once before - 2009 - for a VERY GOOD price - around 200$ - and regretted it immediately. Thank God I found another copy for 14€ one year later. Now I'm really not sure if I shouldn't simply keep it. The MFSL brought the price down anyway. But then again...do I need two versions of "Love Is Hell"? First world problems, I know...

Cassius likes this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Id hold onto it for the moment. Theres only 3000 mfsl copies and then it will be OOP again. The mfsl will go for a fortune then imo! Until the mfs sells out, it will bring the original price down!

4. Neonbeam

Good idea! Since Ryan seems far from being a spent force his records should continue to be collectable. Once the MFSL is gone, both versions of "Love Is Hell" should rise in value considerably. Now is not the ideal moment to sell:)

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just got the MFSL box today. I noticed the limited edition # on it looks to be hand written with marker rather than stamped. Is that the way all of these are? I don't particularly care about the number, but just thought it was odd to have the number hand written.

Edit: Looking at some images of boxes for sale on Ebay, I see they are also hand written. So I guess that's normal. Just wasn't what I was expecting.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This is a top 5 Mofi reissue, just wonderfully organic sounding.

AtlTrav, FashionBoy and Cassius like this.
  7. And it's their "Silver Label" which is supposed to mean that they didn't have access to the analog master tapes or something. Best sounding LP I own.

FashionBoy likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

From the previous page

Quote from MOFI Facebook page "As far as the sourcing for Love is Hell goes; The entire original main album (tracks 1-16) were mastered from original masters. Some of the bonus material including songs released in other countries, originally were mastered from the best sources that could be authenticated."

Shawn Britton's daughter is a huge Ryan Adams fan... hopefully we'll see more RA Mofi vinyl :)

johnnypaddock, Cassius and Jack like this.
  9. Hmmm... doesn't say if the original masters were all analog. Usually they go out of their way to mention that if they were. Not a big deal to me. Like I said, it's fantastic.

10. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

If anyone was on the fence about this one, I just picked it up. The sound is fantastic, one of the quietest vinyl copies I've ever heard. Great stuff, highly recommended before it sells out!

11. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I have to stop reading these threads :mad: costs me $$

I have the original 10 inch and the mofi is $70 before shipping etc. Damm expensive. Sounds like at least the remaster is good sounding.

Funny, the even better Demolition you can buy on vinyl for less than $10 new.

I gotta listen to the original 10 inch ep's to decide if I need another copy with a few new songs

12. Neonbeam

This has always been the perverse thing about RA on vinyl... one album is expensive, the next not at all. And it changes all the time. At the moment "Heartbreaker" is oop. Still considering to sell my 10" because I don't play "Love Is Hell" enough to have two copies. But then again... I. Don't. Know.

13. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I don't like selling my vinyl. I guess that is the horder in me.

I brought out the 10 inch originals and first ep is warped!! Arghh. Got it in the flattener now, the 2nd. Ep is good

What are the additional 7 tracks like?

Paully likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

I don't like selling either. Well....if it is an album I really like that is. I sold two copies of "Older" by George Michael and never regretted it once.

The other seven tracks? Well....that is the "problem", they are excellent.

Turntable likes this.
  15. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Damn, nothing worse than the additional tracks being good :D

Does the Mofi reissue still have the tape hiss like the original 10 inch's?

16. PBo

PBo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone compared the Mofi lp set to the HDTracks 24/96 download?

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  17. PBo

PBo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Also, unrelated, but I'm listening now to Love is Hell and I'm reminded how much "Hotel Chelsea Nights" is a total rip off of "Purple Rain".

richbdd01 likes this.
  18. ottosander

ottosander Forum Resident

Finally bought the Mofi-release and this is absolut brilliant. My favourite RA album(s) never sounded this wonderful....

hvbias and therebelsell like this.
  19. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Picked this up today. Wow. Stunning.

Highly recommended.

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Ha! I think it's just the vocal echo.

PBo likes this.
  21. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Just ordered album from AS. Can't wait.

jimhb likes this.
  22. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Received album earlier this week and listening to for the first time. The first song on side 1 and 2 does have some crackle in the right channel. Love the music and the album does sound very good.

23. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Received this yesterday and I have to add my voice to the chorus of approval. If anyone is procrastinating over this, like I did for a long time, my advice would be to snap it up while it's still available.

24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Just ordered this from Import CDs and the MSRP is the same, been waiting for a long time and someone gave me an Amazon GC so that's what I spent it on.

The original album cut from the original masters, without all the heavy handed compression of the CD release...it sounds so good. Glad it's still in stock.

AtlTrav, Cassius and Paully like this.
  25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Didn't see it mentioned in its own thread on SHTV but when I checked Love Is Hell on the DR database today to see what the unimpressive numbers are from the original CD, I saw a 24/96 download that looks fully dynamic. Sure enough places like Acoustic Sounds, Pro Studio Masters, etc., have a 24/96 download of this available.

I'm not regretting my purchase of the MOFI, it sounds amazing...but I had really hoped they would do an SACD due to the more affordable $29.99 price tag. Anyway, the 24/96 download for those who have yet to take the plunge on the rather expensive Silver Series vinyl release looks like it could be promising:

Analyzed: Ryan Adams / Love Is Hell
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR10 -0.14 dB -15.30 dB 4:34 01-Political Scientist
    DR8 -3.43 dB -13.73 dB 4:13 02-Afraid Not Scared
    DR11 -0.04 dB -13.05 dB 3:53 03-This House Is Not For Sale
    DR13 -0.01 dB -13.84 dB 5:31 04-Anybody Wanna Take Me Home
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.30 dB 3:18 05-Love Is Hell
    DR11 -2.08 dB -17.58 dB 4:09 06-Wonderwall
    DR12 -0.17 dB -18.27 dB 5:18 07-The Shadowlands
    DR12 -0.01 dB -13.97 dB 4:16 08-World War 24
    DR12 -0.58 dB -15.78 dB 5:07 09-Avalanche
    DR10 -2.14 dB -16.05 dB 2:22 10-My Blue Manhattan
    DR15 -0.15 dB -18.48 dB 3:35 11-Please Do Not Let Me Go
    DR10 -0.08 dB -12.58 dB 3:47 12-City Rain, City Streets
    DR12 -1.31 dB -17.41 dB 3:54 13-I See Monsters
    DR7 -5.03 dB -15.05 dB 5:41 14-English Girls Approximately
    DR11 -2.29 dB -16.81 dB 2:50 15-Thank You Louise
    DR12 -0.14 dB -16.27 dB 5:11 16-Hotel Chelsea Nights

Number of tracks: 16
    Official DR value: DR11

Album details - Dynamic Range Database »

johnnypaddock and FashionBoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.