Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part One)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

By the time that the Archive series gets up to Driving Rain, they might have to start all the others over again. ;)

And at that time, Paul will be 99 years old, and here are some of the insightful comments from the Deluxe Archive booklet:

Interviewer: "So Paul, what can you tell me about the album Driving Rain?"
    Paul: "Driving what? Did I do an album with that title? Hmmm, I do recall some album that had the word 'Pepper' in the title. But besides that, I can't remember a darn thing. But I'll give you a thumbs-up anyways..."

;) Arnie

She is anyway, Yorick and theMess like this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

That's the other thing. I've enjoyed the bonus songs a lot but I too had hoped for more. Certainly for the price of the CDs alone the extra tracks have been a great bonus but I did expect more tracks for the more expensive versions. For me WOA was way over priced for just paper goods. So was RAM but I did like getting Thrillington and the mono mix. Didn't like losing the hard covered book though.

I'm hoping my current lack of enthusiasm is a temporary thing. I think if they sped things up a bit it would help.

3. BluRay is a very good format for projects like this. Lots of room for audio and video at the highest quality, with even more room for demos, alternate versions, photo collections, etc. Good for the present, and also good for archiving for history. Come on, Paul, Bowie, Mick, and others. Your time is running out. Think of posterity (as well as your fans)!

Pizza likes this.
  4. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Each deluxe set in this series has gotten better and better. So much so that -- and yes I know this sounds crazy -- but I wish they had waited on the BOTR deluxe set and done it up as big and splashy as Ram, WOA, V&M, and SOS. By comparison to those, the BOTR deluxe set is downright wimpy. I want them to reissue the reissue. :cool: ... I'm not really kidding, actually. BOTR deserves a Super Deluxe Set with the excellent team that's been designing these since Ram.

However, I'm kinda bummed about TOA and POP being the next two. I have little to no interest in either album and may pass on both.

Bring on the Wild Life reissue!!!

vince, JLPMacca and theMess like this.
  5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Mark Lewisohn reported in 1984 that "an expensive promo video is already in the can." The bit at 4'33 doesn't look like it's from an expensive video.

theMess likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Mark wrote that "fact" on the same day that he reported on the awe-inspiring, apocalyptic heavy-metal version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" (that later turned up on Anthology 2). Mark wasn't exactly on the ball that day.

Arnie

heatherly and Billy Budapest like this.
  7. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Release those aminals!!!

EdgarFitzgerald, JLPMacca and theMess like this.
  8. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

I love these archive sets, have them all, and I will probably get ToW and PoP too but I'm not all that excited for those. I wish they had issued the remaining Wings albums first but hopefully they are in the works.

Yankee8156, belardd and She is anyway like this.
  9. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Dear me, I've been a tad busy and have lost track of this thread. Fingers crossed for a June release.

Sean, DLant and theMess like this.
  10. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

All it is is the stereo channels reversed, not really a remix at all.

cmi likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Maybe because Australia is "down under", the channels were reversed on purpose ... ;)

Arnie

12. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

I simply turn and face the other way when listening and it fixes the reversed stereo problem

13. I had always heard it described as a "remix." If it;s just a case of the channels being swapped, I'd call that a "mistake."

14. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Sounds like a different mix with different elements to me.

Paul H likes this.
  15. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

It actually sounds like an entirely different recording to me. I have the 45 and it's certainly a different vocal and the instrumentation sounds different than the standard version. More than just a remix. And, no, it's hardly just a channel swap. This is more of a variation than the German 'Mary Had A Little Lamb'.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I for one look forward to the Tug of war /Pioes of peace release.
    Tug of war -imo/ is one of Pauls best albums. It is somewhat lightweight - of course and features one great hit- single that many people love to hate( but I really like). Pipes of peace is a weaker album but I actually like it more now than when released. I also like the duets with Jackson( I am sorry but I sure so).

Both these albums benefits from the production skills of George Martin and are to my ears great recordings that might get an outstanding sound -quality when remastered..

There are lot s of good. b- sides, unreleased songs and outtakes from the era. Also lot s of vide-material.
    Those de-luxeeditiions are expensive but given what s inside -imo-very nice artefacts. Guess these two might be some extraordinary lavish thimgs .

After that I really would not mind Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway. Time will tell

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  17. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

People love to hate "Take It Away"???

somebodywhocares likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well I didn t exactley mean that one- there is another single from the album that was a huge hit at the time- a duet with another celebrity if my memory serves me well:)
    By the way Wanderlust and Here today are my favourites from the album

Shak Cohen likes this.
  19. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

"Get It" was not released as a single.

theMess and Digital-G like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No I mean the other one -the kittel ballad preaching equaluty using piano as a methaphore

21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You mean McCartney's reinterpretation of Right Said Fred by Bernard Cribbins. That was a fabulous song about a piano.

22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No I mean the one where they sing about-not exact piano- more the material/ colours of the keys to the piano

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.