Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality, artwork, etc.: "All Alone" - 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Well I did wonder if the artist would sign an album cover ( I guess we all just hoped) and there's nothing like a wild goose chase to keep us busy LOL!

Bob Belvedere, wave and Simon A like this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe it's the same, but I've forwarded a sample for your expert evaluation. BTW, that 1991 CD was the first US release of "Waltz."

MLutthans likes this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MLutthans,

The Cap'n Crunch comment almost made me barf coffee on my laptop keyboard. "Crunch-A-Tize me Cap'n again and again", priceless. The official SHF laugh of the week. A pity some awesome Sinatra vocals got less than ideal treatment in the studio way too often. Maybe FS should have sang a few Cap'n Crunch commercials. And AME was the audio industry Epic Fail of the decade. Maybe Cap'n Crunch was the actual recording engineer. So therefore with the sloppy too often QC at Reprise on Frank Sinatra projects in production, and in recording, we can therefore call this era, the Cap'n Crunch Years. The Sinatra that goes Crunch!

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not exactly what you're after, though what I find odd is how the early Sinatra/Reprise material is recorded with the bass in one channel, and the drums, etc. in the other. I'm guessing for more of a *stereo* effect. Still, once Lowell Frank recorded Sinatra's sessions, this stopped. The second Basie album has the bass and drums together, for instance.

Bob Belvedere, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Have given this one listen and like what I hear. Nice sound - not as nice as something like the MFSL Swing Easy/Young Lovers LP, but still nice. I would equate it with Moonlight Sinatra sonically. Vocals could be a bit smoother and the orchestra at times disappears just a bit too much, but overall a very good listen and album. Can't believe I never heard this album until this week. I currently own the MFSL silver box, the Dell Capitol set, and probably 40 other Frank albums. This one, like Moonlight, is a bit of a sleeper. Hard to figure why these 2 don't get much credit.

Are there any more like this???

CBackley and Bob Belvedere like this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Listened to this again and more impressed. It's kind of like the little brother to "No One Cares" or "Where are You". Frank definitely put a lot into this. Again, I am surprised this one slips under the radar for the most part.

CBackley, Bob Belvedere and Simon A like this.
  7. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Good lord. I haven't listened to All Alone in YEARS. That will have to change.

Simon A likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Listening to the stereo LP samples that people have shared (and that will be posted at some point), I have to ask: Has this album ever been remixed? All the LP and CD clips sound like they have the same balances, reverb, etc., and the same little tape glitches (that are not on the mono mix). Anybody know?

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not that I'm aware of...

10. MLutthans

Back with SWING ALONG WITH ME, the question was raised: Do F- mono copies exist, or are the R-prefix LPs the only mono version in the USA? Nobody ever came across an F-prefix copy. The same question was brought up regarding ALL ALONE.

I purchased a sealed mono cutout LP that arrived today, and all reference (spine, cover, label) is to R-1007, making me wonder if this title ever made it to F-1007. I have my doubts.

Anybody ever see an F-1007?

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if Reprise during the independent era pressed a lot of mono LPs that were unsold through its becoming part of Warner Bros and beyond, not requiring mono LPs of some albums to be newly mastered/pressed again?

12. MLutthans

Seems very possible to me, and with ALL ALONE not selling as well as other albums, it's certainly possible that there was a good-sized stockpile of mono albums that lasted quite some time. This cut out LP was even an A1/B3 cut.

CBackley and MMM like this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed, I think that happened. Seems like there was a huge glut of Sinatra mono albums and in the post 1968 era, they got dumped in huge numbers in the cutout bins. Many of these were still easily had into the middle 1970's. This is a title where I have never seen a F WB era pressing of in mono. I suspect that this LP was an extremely slow seller. And because of that, never got a mono repressing.

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yup, I can still see those record discount bins filled with everyone's mono LP's cut to sell...$1.00 each. This was back in the late 60's and if I knew then what I know now........

15. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Do forget the original "All Alone" was a fold-out cover. I don't believe I have ever seen a Mono copy in the later single jacket.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

A shame, if that's what happened. We could have possibly had a better mastering of these albums' mono versions (SWING ALONG WITH ME, I'm looking at you ;) ) if they were also redone once Columbia started mastering and pressing them.

17. MLutthans

I'm watching a very mediocre Ida Lupino film called Moontide right now, and "Remember" is all over the soundtrack.

Is it just me, or does the wikipedia article (as it currently stands) make about zero sense?

Screen shot 2015-02-01 at 1.32.29 AM.png

bozburn likes this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think someone was "just tryin' to have a little fun, folks" with that last sentence.

Wikipedia is odd at times for what they'll allow. Seems to depend on who's moderating what...

19. MLutthans

I have the very meager beginnings of a comparison page ready for your listening enjoyment. So far, I have posted clips from the title track only, from these sources:

•A1 (Waddell) mono LP
    •A4 (Waddell) mono LP
    •A1 (Waddell?) stereo LP - thanks, @Blackie
    •1D (Columbia) stereo LP - thanks, @bozburn
    •Japanese LP (late 1970s????) - thanks, @floweringtoilet
    •1992 CD (the only CD mastering, and using the same stereo mix as the LPs) - thanks, @Simon A

http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_All_Alone.html

If anybody has any other editions they would like to share, please PM me.

Much more to follow......

Some things to listen for in those initial clips:
    •There is a thump-thump noise, maybe a piano pedal, in the opening seconds.
    •Compare the effect of the female vocal at the tail end of the track. For that particular aspect of the performance, I lean toward preferring the mono mix, as (as I've yada yadad about before) the effect is more ethereal or dreamy, while in the stereo mix, it sounds too much like she's just standing over there next to the guitar player. It's too real sounding, IMO.
    •Holy cow, that's a lot of crunchy distortion in those strings. Gotta love Ampex Master Equalization! :righton:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    MMM and floweringtoilet like this.
  20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That quote from the vintage BILLBOARD ad - "...mood you like most!" - is pretty strange considering the album.

Interesting how this album was held back for release so long after recording. Maybe it was felt to be a better match for autumn?

CBackley and bozburn like this.
  21. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

The clips posted on @MLutthans's page is the first time I've heard the MONO mix. I think I'm a fan of that mix over the STEREO now. Everything sounds more together and cohesive, adding to my enjoyment of the music.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. MLutthans

MMM and Bob F like this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

@MLutthans: Matt, I love your "Original, high-end album cover frame." I might have missed that, but for the momentary flash of orange in the image.

[​IMG]

C'mon, someone HAS to know who "Weber" is/was?

24. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

the credit on the inside of the gatefold at the left bottom just says: cover: Weber/Art Direction: Merle Shore

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, but the question from post #8 of this thread (and long before that)... Who is Weber?