Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers vs. Echoes remixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Has anyone compared the Edsel Gene Clark w/ the Gosdin Brothers CD with the Echoes comp that has remixes of the Clark Godsin Brothers 1st LP tracks?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
    905 likes this.
  2. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Chris--

I don't have those two versions but I have compared a copy of the original Columbia mono LP with the recent Sundazed stereo LP reissue. Although the Sundazed isn't too bad, I much prefer the Columbia's mono mixes.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I haven't heard the original stereo mix of the album, just the Echoes remix. But since Bob Irwin was involved with that, I would imagine they tried to copy the original mixes as closely as possible, similar to what they did on the Byrds and Simon and Garfunkel reissues. So the differences are probably quite subtle. I'm pretty sure their reason for remixing was the poor quality of the master tape, rather than a desire to "improve" the original mix.

4. Chris M

That's interesting because IIRC the Edsel CD is stereo. I wonder what tapes they used?

Chris

5. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

As an aside, the original Gene Clark w/ Gosdin Bros. LP was remixed and vocals re-recorded for an album released by Columbia in 1972 with the subtitle "Early L.A. Sessions."

6. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

I believe the Edsel CD is mono, as is the CBS Special Products issue.

7. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I too would be interested to hear any comments on the difference. I was fairly happy with the sound on Echoes, but I never liked the peculiar flow of it, starting as it does with Pre-Flyte era Byrds stuff. Haven't heard the standalone Gosdin CD, but Edsel are usually quite good.

I hear Sony in Europe will release a digipak version of Echoes soon. I dare say the content will be the same though.

8. David Powell

I have this version as well but haven't listened to it in a while. I wonder if this remix is the source of subsequent versions. Will have to dust it off & check it out.

9. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Gene Clark & Gosdin Bros. mixes

There are FOUR different versions out there that I know of:

Original CBS mono mix ('67 vinyl; CBS Special Products CD)
    Original CBS stereo mix ('67 vinyl; UK Edsel CD)
    "Early L.A." stereo remix/overdub version ('72 vinyl)
    "Echoes" 1990s stereo remix (Sony Legacy CD)

There are major differences in vocal and guitar balances and
    overdubs between ALL of these versions. Personally, I prefer
    the '67 stereo mix, which really brings out the "Beatles" rather
    than the county rock aspect of these tracks.

10. Chris M

Re: Gene Clark & Gosdin Bros. mixes

Thanks for the info! I'm off to find the Edsel CD.

Chris

11. David Powell

As a side note, I think it's interesting that Vern Gosdin has turned a full circle with various members of the Byrds during his own career. Vern & his brother Rex started out playing with Chris Hillman, in his pre-Byrds days, in a bluegrass group called the Golden State Boys, which later became known as the Hillmen. When Gene Clark left the Byrds, he teamed up with Vern & Rex to record his first solo album in 1967. During the '70s & '80s, Vern established a successful solo career in country music, earning the reputation of having the second best voice, after George Jones, of hard-core country. In 1984, Vern recorded a fine cover version of Turn, Turn, Turn that featured Roger McGuinn & his distinctive 12-string.

12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Does the Sundazed 2007 CD use the 1967 stereo mix?

13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I believe so. I'd have to A/B compare it with the 360 vinyl or the Edsel disc to ascertain
    if it's the 1967 mix or a "stealthy" Sundazed re-mix...

JoeRockhead likes this.
  14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yes. There are obvious differences (e.g., "Couldn't Believe Her" fades out rather than the cold ending/breakdown on Echoes; electronic double-tracking on "Is Yours Is Mine"). The Sundazed CD is the real deal.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  15. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies! All input is appreciated. While listening to the 2007 disc last night I came here in search of reviews but found this thread. If there is a more recent thread on the 2007 issue, I couldn't find it.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

JoeRockhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.