Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

MENSA!! :)

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have quite a few Telefunken LPs. A few are labelled Teldec with outer box or jacket labels. I was fortunate to acquire a minty Teldec box set of the Solti Ring. The pressings are German. As are Decca so are Telefunkens high in recording and pressing quality. They had quite a few early music recordings as well as chamber recordings in their catalog. I never hesitate to grab these in my wanderings for new used LPs to add to my collection. I also, while I'm on the topic look for Hungaroton, Supraphone and Eurodisc recordings to add to my collection. They are all high quality and contain very interesting material. Of course I never pass up a Melodiya which contain some of the best artists and performances of the Russian composers(as well as others).

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

It may well be a matter of demographics; records of a given sort pass through thrift stores and such as the people who originally bought them die or move to retirement homes. Once that cohort has finished the process, the supply of that sort of record dries up. I first became aware of that years back, when '40s dance band records were everywhere. Have seen precious few of those in the last decade by comparison. Collector friends a bit older than I am told me that the same was true of Victor scrolls a decade before. By now, if you find records of that era, chances are you're raiding the hoarde of such an older collector, not the original owners.

ToddBD likes this.
  4. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I generally love slow Bruckner, but Celi's 8th and 9th are way too slow for my taste. I can't sit through the whole recording of the 8th...

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: J.S. Bach: Concerto for Flute, Violin, Harpsichord, Strings and Basso Continuo, BWV 1044, "Triple Concerto"; Concerto for Oboe, Violin, Strings and Basso Continuo, BWV 1060R; Concerto for Oboe d'amore, Strings and Basso Continuo, BWV 1055R - Trevor Pinnock/English Concert with Lisa Beznosiuk (BWV 1044), Simon Standage (BWV 1044, BWV 1060R) and David Reichenberg (BWV 1060R, BWV 1055R) - 8 CDs, Archiv; disc 7

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's exactly the problem I have with many of his interpretations, they're way too slow to my ears. The extreme slow tempi tend to break the tension that Bruckner's music needs. He doesn't hold my attention.

7. john greenwood

I bought that box fairly recently and having been enjoying it.

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Teldec was a joint effort from Telefunken & Decca: Tel-Dec.

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

It's glorious music. You have to wallow in it.

10. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

His slow tempos sometimes work, sometimes not. I think that it works very well in his Bruckner 7th (and I don't think there's anything really wrong with the earlier symphonies either, maybe except some excessive softening of the edges in certain places), Tchaikovsky's 6th, Prokofiev's 5th, Bartok's concerto for orchestra, Dvorak's 9th, the Wagner disc, some of his Brahms, Debussy to some extent -- those are very special and interesting recordings. But if you listen to his Beethoven 7th for example -- that's a total disaster. Interestingly, he didn't slow down very drastically in his Haydn and Mozart recordings (except the Requiem...), even he had his limits.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Mozart: Symphonies 35, K385; 36, K425 - Christopher Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music - Mozart: The Symphonies, Vol.V: Salzburg 1775-1783 - 3 CDs, l'Oiseau Lyre; disc 3

[​IMG]

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I find it interesting that Furtwängler, a conductor with a reputation for slow tempos, is so volatile in Bruckner. Eugen Jochum is similarly flexible with tempos. Celibidache often starts slow, then gets slower for effect, a mannerism that doesn't work for me. Then again, I find myself listening to a lot of Bruckner from many different sources. I'm gradually getting used to Riccardo Chailly's approach, a kinder, gentler Bruckner, as it were. :D Very beautiful playing in the Eighth Symphony, if a tad less apocalyptic than other performances:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD and Mik like this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"Eugen Jochum is similarly flexible with tempos."

That's a beautiful euphemism. His rubati are too much for me and they're the reason I don't like his Bruckner.

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I counted 105

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Then I must have goofed.

16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD38 - Brahms Piano Quartet No. 2 from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

Mik and J.A.W. like this.
  17. coopmv

Some of the pieces must have been recycled a half dozen times over the past decade ...

18. john greenwood

SCORPION!!!

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sure, but that's a beautiful box with every J.S. Bach orchestral piece that Pinnock recorded for Archiv and it's not too expensive.

Mik, john greenwood and Robin L like this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

What do you think of Furtwängler's Bruckner?

21. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

I find that this problem is particularly severe in his Schumann.

However, after all, he strongly objected to the record release of his concerts. Perhaps his very slow tempi worked much better in the concert hall than in the living room.

jukes likes this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've not listened to his Bruckner very often, so I can't really comment. Overall, Furtwängler's conducting style is not really my cup of tea, although I do like some of his Beethoven interpretations, for instance his Lucerne 1954 ninth.

23. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I am going to guess that i did

Robin L likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Haydn: Symphonies 35; 38 - Trevor Pinnock/English Concert - Haydn: The "Sturm und Drang" Symphonies - 6 CDs, Archiv; disc 1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Mik and ToddBD like this.
  25. coopmv

Now playing CD39 - Dvorak Piano Quartet in A from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

Trying to complete my first listen to this box before the end of this week, which will be a record for me.

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.