Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Back by popular demand ;) - it's the final installment in my Bruckner Celibidache traversal. For me, listening to this set is like going to church. Spiritual, transcendent, serene and beautiful.

bluemooze, Mik and Soulpope like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD42 - Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 and Beethoven Rondo in B & Piano Concerto No. 3 from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, J.A.W. and Mik like this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

By far the largest I own.

4. john greenwood

I paid $95 including shipping.

5. john greenwood

Just wondering - do you think Sony caught the mistake and stopped manufacturing until they fixed it? Could that explain why this set was in such short supply?

6. coopmv

Now playing CD43 - Schumann Piano Concerto in A minor and Liszt Funerailles, etc. (this CD is also included in the DG "Pianist of the Century" box) from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, J.A.W. and Mik like this.
  7. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I don't know. I guess we'll see if they ship a corrected version of the CD, and maybe the booklet too, as the timings in the booklet agree with the bad CD.

8. coopmv

IIRC, the new availability date is April ...

9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

If some of these are Columbia early digital recordings,I found a couple on LP at Hasting's I have not gotten around to playing yet.

10. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Would you mind looking something up for me? I've read that there was a Liszt Sonata recording once issued by Philips that they were not able to license for this box. The ones I know of are the Livorno performance from 1966, and one that Philips attributed to Budapest 1960 but is actually Carnegie Hall 1965 (taken from a pirate LP, and it sounds it!) Is there a Liszt Sonata in this box, and if so which one? Also, is the Hungarian Fantasia (Budapest, 1961, with Ferencsik) present? Thanks!

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I think the Bach Teldec box I have has 153.

12. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I found this. It may help. http://www.allmusic.com/album/arthur-rubinstein-the-complete-album-collection-mw0002253499

-Zafu

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Jed Distler, who wrote the notes for this box, told me that it is indeed complete, save for one Liszt Sonata performance Universal no longer has the rights to, and that the booklet also contains complete and accurate discographical information for the first time ever. He also told me he worked with the producers to ensure that the contents were complete, and that nothing would be missed.

There's one Liszt Piano Sonata in the box, the November 1966 Livorno, Italy performance, and it does include the Hungarian Fantasy with Ferencsik.

Walter H likes this.
  14. coopmv

The booklet (i.e. liner-notes) that came with the box is pretty comprehensive and provides excellent cross references to make locating this information pretty easy. :righton:

15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Presently listening to, among other things, a recording of Gliere's "The Red Poppy" recorded in 1963 by the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra under the direction of Yuri Fayer and originally issued on Melodiya. It is paired with Lev Knipper's "Symphony No. 4 in D Major Op. 41", subtitled the "Poem of the Komsomol Fighter" , performed by Russian Academic Chamber Chorus and Moscow Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Veronika Dudarova and recorded in 1986.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

The Neville Marriner "The Argo Years" 28 disc box set is on sale over at AmazonUK for a steal at 42.01 GBP, which when all said and done
    for American orders, gets reduced to 38 GBP = somewhere around $61 and change. This is a steal for I've seen this at Amazon US and
    elsewhere for $100 and much more...

bluemooze likes this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Speaking of Bruckner, I'm listening to disc 8, Symphony #8.

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Nice set, but I prefer Haitink's 1981 recording with the Concertgebouw Orchestra (not in this set) and his 1995 recording with the Vienna Philharmonic (not in this set either) of the 8th.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I actually prefer his later Concertgebouw version of the 8th myself. The 2nd movement is a bit slower, but very atmospheric and other-worldly.

20. coopmv

Now playing CD44 - Liszt Piano Concerto Nos 1-2 and Beethoven Piano Sonatas Nos 10, 19-20 from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  21. coopmv

The original Philips box is untouchably expensive ...

22. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I heard all his recordings of the 8th, save the first, and I wasn't impressed by either of them. His approach is too soft grained and relaxed to my taste, it just lacks tension and real drama (though everything is beautifully played and well judged).

23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(DVD Universal Music EAN0028944287134) - therof Symphony No. 2 in C Minor "Resurrection" (recorded December 25th, 1984)

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  24. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

But I think the one with the Vienna Philharmonic is the best among the tree (and it's not that there's something really wrong with either of them, Haitink is always at least good or decent in whatever he's conducting).

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

This CD set is now $55 on Amazon. I paid a lot less several years ago. Funny, when I search through past orders, this one doesn't show up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.