Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I can see your point. I still like his early 80s Eighth. Now for the 9th, give me Karajan's last DG analog recording. Heavy metal classical!

Mik and George P like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I like his 1981 interpretation, and I don't agree that it lacks tension, on the contrary. For me it's one of the great Bruckner Eights on CD, along with Karajan's 1988 Vienna recording.

Mik likes this.
  3. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Have you heard Haitinks recording of Bruckner 8 with the Staatskapelle Dresden? (Profil) That one is very good imo.

4. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

No... There's another one? I'll check it out.

Well, at least we can agree on the Karajan, which is my favorite along with Giulini.

5. Casagrande

Fafner88 likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, the Giulini is excellent too. Pity he used the shorter Nowak edition of the score, whereas Haitink and Karajan used the Haas edition.

8. Casagrande

I couldn't tell you, I'm sorry, I only listened to Bruckner 8 (Spotify).

9. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Casagrande likes this.
  10. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Is the 81 recording his first? I can't remember if there are two different recordings with the Concertgebouw on Philips...

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It figures that this version is not on Beats Music, which is what I subscribe to.

12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

No the one I listened to earlier was recorded between 1960-1972. I'm not sure of the exact date.

EDIT-the Eighth was recorded in 1969, at least according to one reviewer on Amazon.

13. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

So there are 5 recordings of this symphony by him... I think that's a record.

14. Casagrande

ibanez_ax likes this.
  15. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

But this box is now a Decca box ...

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He made 3 recordings of the 8th for Philips (not counting any radio broadcasts):
    1960 with the Concertgebouw Orchestra (some discographies mention 1969)
    1981 with the Concertgebouw Orchestra
    1988 with the Vienna Philharmonic
    and also these (there are more):
    2005 with the Concertgebouw Orchestra for RCO Live
    2008 with the Staatskapelle Dresden for Hänssler

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    George P likes this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Mine is Philips although the box has 2005 Universal and Decca copyrights.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to the booklet to the 1994 Haitink Bruckner box (Philips 442 040-2) he recorded the 8th in 1960, not 1969.

20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The 2005 box booklet says the same thing. But the copyright on the disc is 1970. Is that perhaps when it was released? The the other symphonies have copyrights either the same year they were recorded or the year after.

Oh well. Not that big of a deal I guess.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Talking from memory I think the actual recording year was 1969, not 1960. If I remember correctly the original 2LP-set was indeed released in 1970.

1960 sounds way too early to me; Haitink was a very young conductor in 1960 (he was only 31) and had not yet been become chief conductor of the Concertgebouw Orchestra, and I doubt he would have taken on such a massive work back then.

Haitink and Eugen Jochum shared the post of chief conductor from 1961 to 1964, when Haitink became sole chief conductor; he left in 1988.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    ibanez_ax likes this.
  22. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

The sound quality is excellent...I don't detect a lot of NR, and if there is any it doesn't seems to impede the sonics in any way, at least to my ear. Nice warm sound, and this Schumann set is really growing on me. Most reviews I have read prefer this set over the cycle he did with the Berlin Philharmonic...not having heard those, I can't compare them, but after listening to these I don't feel much of a need to find my Schumann fix anywhere else :D

23. coopmv

Now playing CD45 - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto Nos 1 and Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2 from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Good to know! Thanks!!

25. coopmv

Now playing CD46 - Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 5 and Britten Piano Concerto from the following box for a first listen. 5 more CD's to go ...
    [​IMG]

Mik and J.A.W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.