Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Except for the 1st, I came to like Mahler later than other great symphony composers. The discovery has been fun.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Both, since since Martha was not exactly shy.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I never liked Mahler until a few years ago. Even now, he is not my go-to composer. It is an age factor for me.

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

A lot of people lump Bruckner and Mahler together. I don't. I've loved Bruckner for over 30 years; Mahler less than 10.

5. coopmv

Thirty years ago, I associated Mahler and Bruckner music as music for old people ...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Ha, Ha!

7. coopmv

I started collecting his music somewhat reluctantly since he was a somewhat important composer ... :hide:

8. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

I was really taken by Mahler for a while. Listening & collecting rather intensely. But my enthusiasm for his music has cooled off considerably. I still rate symphonies nos. 1, 2, 4 & 9 and some of his songs (Rueckert etc.)

Symphonies 5, 6 & 7 however, I simply do not understand.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mahler is still one of my favourite late-romantic composers and I rate his symphonies in this order: 2, 3, 9, 7, 6, 4, 5 and 1. Don't like 8.

10. coopmv

I really enjoyed this box. which is the most comprehensive collection of JS Bach keyboard works performed on piano ...

11. coopmv

I have come to enjoy Bruckner Symphonies a lot more than I do Mahler ...

Casagrande likes this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This set arrived today. I started with No.20--excellent! I'm not a fan of the stamp motif that all of these Collectors' Edition sets have, but they are certainly a good deal.

[​IMG]

Mik, john greenwood, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, yes, Bruckner, another favourite late-romantic composer of mine. Love his symphonies 8, 7, 9, 6, 4, 5 and 3, in that order. Don't care much for the "early" ones, though with Bruckner you can hardly speak of "early", considering that he was in his 40s when he composed his first symphonies.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  14. coopmv

No number on the stamp to show the number of CD's in the box?

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

2, 6, 5, 7, 9, 4, 1, 3, 8. Don't really count the Tenth, do count Das Lied von der Erde somewhere near the top. Bruckner's my favorite Late Romantic Composer these days, Mahler is a very close second. Got interested in the two at the same time, like 40 years ago.

Got to Bruckner via Furtwängler, my view is molded by that. No question the 9th has the greatest impact here. After that, 6, 7, 4, 8, 5, 3, before that nothing. Have you heard the Kent Nagano/Deutches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin version of Bruckner's original version of the Third Symphony? I'm lucky to have the SACD, an ear-opening performance:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  16. coopmv

Now playing CD16 - Bruckner 8th from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  17. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Do you really reckon no. 2 is that much worse than his other works? I think it's quite lovely tbh.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:goodie::edthumbs::pineapple::righton:

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Never really sank in, for whatever reason, same with the other three. But note that I have spent years without really "getting" the 8th, 5th, 6th, 3ed.

20. coopmv

Now playing CD1 - JS Bach Works for lute by Lutz Kirchhof from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Bubbamike, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

This CD is surprisingly refreshing. My only other JS Bach Works for lute CD is the following one by Sharon Isbin, which I have not listened to in years after probably the first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and George P like this.
  22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Pretty much the opposite for me. I loved Mahler the moment I heard him. Bruckner I'm still getting used to.

markedasred likes this.
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I'm only one CD into it, but it's good so far.

It's available from amazon.de for 25 euros (21 with VAT removed).

24. john greenwood

Back from the Hamelin recital. The first half was fair to good. A Field work (not a nocturne) that was rather blah, Hamelin's own Chaconne that I found interesting, but not gripping and three Debussy Images that were nice, but not the best Debussy I've ever heard. The second half was Liszt, and here Hamelin got to flex his finger muscles. It was exciting stuff, maybe not the most profound music I've ever hear - not even the most profound Liszt I've ever hear, but wonderful entertainment. His encores continued in that vein. He played Chopin's Minute Waltz which was fine (although something of a cliché I though at first) until in the final portion all the notes went wrong - purposely of course. He followed that with a Liszt transcription of a song by Chopin and ended with Haydn - it must have been the final movement of a sonata, which he played at Prestisississimo.

Mik, Scott Wheeler and bluemooze like this.
  25. john greenwood

That's even better than the MDT price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.