Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Enjoying the Ives 1st Symphony
    [​IMG]

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Try Symphony 5 again. 6 and especially 7 are a bit more challenging but 5 grips me from the opening notes. Is there a particular recording you listened to?

3. john greenwood

Yeah, 8 is my least favorite.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 - More JS Bach Works for lute by Lutz Kirchhof from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It has 12.

6. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I saw some discussion yesterday of the best digital version of the Bernstein / NYP Mahler 1st , and wanted to comment that there have actually been two SACD issues - a stereo-only single-layer SACD released in 1999, and a Japanese hybrid stereo/multichannel SACD released in 2007 as part of a release of the entire cycle in hybrid stereo/multichannel SACD format in Japan only. The 2007 Japanese issues are the same mastering as the Carnegie Hall Presents box, only with the DSD source on the SACD. The 1999 SACD issue is apparently a different mastering. It's also unclear how they achieved the multichannel mix from the 3-track tape - whether it is 3.0 stereo with artificial surrounds or if it is the stereo version reprocessed into surround.

That said...given that you can buy the Carnegie Hall Presents box set for the cost of one of the Japanese SACDs (or the "Complete Mahler Symphonies" box which substitutes in the Kindertotenlieder but takes out the recording of Das Lied with the Israel PO for roughly the same price), I'd suggest just going for that. The general consensus is that the difference isn't that great.

ToddBD and John S like this.
  7. coopmv

Given my level of interest in Mahler music, I am more than happy with what I already have ...

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    CDs 42-44 from the box. Recorded in Hollywood, 1952-53. Fine music, playing & sound.

Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I might like the earliest set a bit more, but that second one has much better sound and performances that are much better (IMO) than the later, stereo ones.

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Supraphon Nippon Columbia COGQ-1002 SHM-CD)

11. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I was totally obsessed with Mahler when I was teenager and in my early 20's (I still remember every single bar in every one of his symphonies), but with time I somewhat cooled down, and nowadays I don't listen to him very often as I used to (the music just doesn't do to me very much as it used to). I still think that the 9th and Das Lied von der Erde are great pieces, and I enjoy very much the first four symphonies (maybe the 2nd a bit less), but now I understand what critics in the past meant when they called it "conductor's music". Frankly, Richard Strauss interests me much more now, and of course Bruckner and Wagner (interestingly, I came to these composers only after Mahler).

Casagrande likes this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Amoureuses" performed by Patricia Petibon accompanied by Concerto Koln led by Daniel Harding on DG.

Arias by Haydn, Mozart and Gluck.

[​IMG]

13. john greenwood

I enjoyed that second set. Did anyone promote the Mazurkas as much as Rubinstein?

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

There have been several points in these many CMC threads where favorite Mahler lists have popped up, but I just can't do it myself. For the last 20 years I have been committed to Mahler and I just don't see that changing any time soon. Bottom line is that my favorite Mahler is the Mahler I'm currently listening to. It's all good. It is true I do not listen to the song cycles much, and must confess I do not listen to M8 much, nor has DLvdE clicked with me in total. But if I HAD to rank them my list would be most similar to yours except M3 would be a bit higher.

Robin L likes this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Or, to quote a number recorded in the dawning years of the 20th c. by Frank C. Stanley, drawn from some long-forgotten musical show:

I love the last one the best of all.
    The old loves no longer my heart enthrall.
    I'm constant, I fear, to the girl who is near,
    Oh, many the loves I recall!
    I do say that she is the fairest to me,
    And I swear I'll be true till eternity.
    But I soon change my song
    When the next comes along,
    For the last one is best of all!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    John S likes this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A Steven Stills song comes to mind.

John S likes this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Obviously, we listen to different songs! ;)

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Mozart: Symphonies 28, K200; 29, K201 - Trevor Pinnock/English Concert - Trevor Pinnock - Mozart: Salzburg Symphonies - 4 CDs, Archiv; disc 4

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  19. john greenwood

Nah - Lane and Harburg (from "Finian's Rainbow")

Oh my heart is beating wildly, and it's all because you're here
    When I'm not near the girl that I love, I love the girl I'm near
    Every femme that flutters by me is a flame that must be fanned
    When I can't fondle the hand that I'm fond of, I fondle the hand at hand
    My heart's in a pickle, it's constantly fickle and not too partic'lar I fear
    When I'm not near the girl that I love, I love the girl I'm near

I'm confessing a confession, and I hope I'm not verbose
    When I am not close to the kiss that I cling to, I cling to the kiss that's close
    As I'm more and more a mortal I am more and more a case
    When I'm not facing the face that I fancy I fancy the face I face
    For Sharon I'm caring but Susan I'm choosing I'm faithful to those whos'n is here
    When I'm not near the girl that I love I love the girl I'm near.

John S likes this.
  20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Just renewed my subscription to the Philharmonic society down at Costa Mesa and added a second subscription. I gotta say John Magnun is knocking it out of the park. His programming absolutely blows away the Pacific Symphony and they have an actual world class orchestra at their disposal. The two subscriptions include Pinchas Zukerman and the Royal Phil, Hilary Haun with LA Phil, Yuja Wang with Russian National Orchestra and Plentev conducting, Joshua Bell and St Martin int he Fields, Lang Lang, The Orlando Consort, New York Phil, Philedalphia Baroque Orchestra with Nicholas McGegan and Garrick Ohlsson.

Can hardly wait to see the L.A. Phil season.

john greenwood likes this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's still a rose in the fisted glove, leastaways in these quarters.

22. john greenwood

Recently got a version of the Stills track mastered by our host. Sounds very nice.
    And David might want to track down the 1947 "Finian's Rainbow" Original Broadway Cast album, as it was one of the very few first issued on 78's - possibly one of only two done that way by Columbia.

drh and Robin L like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Duo" performed by Helene Grimaud and Sol Gabetta on DG.

Works by Schumann, Brahms, Debussy and Shostakovich.

[​IMG]

rockerreds and George P like this.
  24. coopmv

Any good?

25. john greenwood

I see that Naïve has released Hopkinson Smith's transcription of the Bach works for cello and violin as a 4 disc set at a modest price (available in the UK for about $21 plus shipping). I have Nigel North's transcriptions of the same works. Has anyone done a comparison?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.