Bob Dylan - "Band of the Hand (It's Hell Time, Man!)"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

You made me go to the "Setlist wiki," and "Song to Woody" has been played half as often as "Wiggle Wiggle." "Woody" has only been played 51 times.

So "Wiggle Wiggle" is a warhorse, in comparison. :)

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Yea! Heavy and a Bottle of Bread" at Madison Square Garden in 2002. I also saw his cover of The Beatles' "Something" the next night.
    I did catch "When Did You Leave Heaven" at the (no longer named) Garden State Arts Center.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

"Wiggle Wiggle" is no great shakes, if you'll pardon the pun.

I think the two rarest live performances I've witnessed are "Delia" and "Highlands", at eight and nine times respectively.

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I got a medley of those two: "Wiggle Woody".... ;)

Arnie

jpmosu likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

My 25 Dylan shows have been Wiggle-free, to date (though I did manage to get Song to Woody once). And I also got to see Woody* in concert, once.

*Allen, that is. :nyah:

Carserguev and jpmosu like this.
  6. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

"Highlands"--wow, that a long lyric to remember. Unless you heard the "radio edit."

7. Arnold Grove

Speaking of Woody: I've seen Bob play with Ron Wood. Ron came onstage during at least one of the Madison Square Garden shows (mid-1980s) by Bob when he was backed up by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

Arnie

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I'd trade places with you in a minute if I could!

stepeanut likes this.
  9. RayS

Geez Arnie, ANOTHER show we were both at where you didn't say "hello!"

10. RayS

I was at a show where "Restless Farewell" was on the set list ... but he didn't perform it. :-( I also just missed the return of "Seven Days" - it was on the set list, but he didn't do it until a few shows down the road.

After I got "Dark Eyes" (with Patti Smith, no less) I vowed to never ask Santa for anything again. :)

HominyRhodes and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

I saw all three nights at MSG on that tour. In fact, I slept out on line to get tickets. I was in the top 10 people, so I ended up with seats in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rows. I loved those shows. I think Ron Wood might have turned up more than once too.

Arnie

mrjinks likes this.
  12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This needs to be on a CD!

Classic Dylan.

13. Arnold Grove

Beacon Theatre?? I was there too if that was the show you are talking about. I was at pretty much every Bob show from 1984 to 1998 in the NYC area. Then, those rotten kids of mine got in the way. I still have seen Bob about 5 times since 1998, but not as consistently as I did pre-1998.

Arnie

14. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

This was Glasgow, 2000. Can't remember if he hit every verse, but I do remember him name-checking Annie Lennox instead of Neil Young. I have a recording of the show; I should listen again at some point.

"Delia" was played at the following show, in Newcastle. That one was a beauty; probably my favourite performance of all the songs I've heard Dylan play over the years.

Carserguev and jpmosu like this.
  15. RayS

That was my first Dylan show - the middle night of the three. I was in the nosebleeders, making a God awful quality audience tape. Almost the entire section around us left after the second Heartbreakers' set.

16. RayS

Both the Electric Factory in Philly and at the Beacon.

Looks like we were at LOTS of the same shows - Radio City '88, Beacon '89 and '90 alone makes for a long list (13 shows I think).

17. Arnold Grove

Yep. Bob was sometimes so intense. Of course, he was younger then. But I miss his electric guitar playing in a concert setting.

Arnie

18. mrjinks

What are your Dylan concert counts, Arnie & Ray? Or best guess approximations? I've been "geographically challenged" with my chances to see His Bobness...

19. Arnold Grove

Probably about 15 or so. And all post-Infidels.

Arnie

20. mrjinks

You were at 13 of the same shows with Ray, and only two others????

I have a nifty excel spreadsheet with all my bob shows: most played (hwy 61 @19/25 shows), least played (62 songs played once), etc. :)

21. RayS

I lost count over the years, but I tried making a chart of all the shows (Dylan and everyone else) a couple of years ago.

I came up with 59 for Dylan (1986-2005). I'm about the same for the Dead if you add in all the post-Jerry iterations. Now I've gone to two concerts in the last three years. The times they have a-changed for sure.

22. RayS

I think Arnie was saying (not that he needs me to speak for him) that he was at each Dylan "stand" in New York, not necessarily each night, and I misunderstood him.

23. Arnold Grove

Correct. The only time that I saw the whole "stand" were the 3 nights at Madison Square Garden with Petty in 1986 (I think that was the year). Otherwise, it was typically only 1 night per "stand". I did see 2 of the Supper Club gigs during his "stand" there. I was at a table near the front, so I wonder if I'll see myself in the video, if it is ever released officially.

Arnie

24. mrjinks

Consider your "uber-fan" credentials REVOKED!!!

25. Arnold Grove

You mean I have to rip up my "Bob Dylan Fan Certificate".

[​IMG]

The scan is poor, but the bottom text says:

This certifies that the possessor of this certificate is a true devotee of Bob Dylan and his music.

This was a bonus card in the Japanese and Australian (?) Masterpieces LP set.

Arnie

highway and HominyRhodes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.