Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have that in a CD box of Haitink conducting Tchaikovsky, but I have gotten to the point where I don't much enjoy the Tchaikovsky Symphonies.

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1994 reissue of HMV ASD 483 from 1962. Recorded in the Grosser Saal, Musikverein, 11/13/61.
    I never tire of this Symphony.

Bobbo, bluemooze, John S and 2 others like this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Actually, Abbado missed doing three with DG by 1/9th (or one Ninth Symphony). It was somewhat unintentional. He did a cycle with the VPO in the 80's. Then around 2000 he released a cycle with the Berlin Philharmonic (which I have on DVD-A). He was/critics were unhappy with that, so DG quickly replaced it with another cycle of live performances (in the Abbabo box I have). However, they kept the 9th from the previous cycle.

4. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Iannis Xenakis - Kraanerg

Mik, bluemooze, Robin L and 1 other person like this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm listening to the piano Pathétique.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A guide to Iannis Xenakis's music:

[​IMG]

"It sounds like something out of a film script. A Greek man in his early 20s fights for his homeland as part of the Communist resistance at the end of the second world war. Shrapnel from a blast from a British tank causes a horrendous facial injury that means the permanent loss of sight in one eye. He is sentenced to death after his exile to Paris (a sentence that was later commuted to a prison term, with his conviction finally quashed with the end of the junta in 1974). By the time he returns, he has become one of the leading creative figures of the century: an architect who trained, worked, and often transcended the inspiration of his mentor and boss, Le Corbusier; an intellectual whose physical and mathematical understanding of the way individual particles interact with each other and create a larger mass - atoms, birds, people, and musical notes - would produce one of the most fertile and prophetic aesthetic explorations in musical history; and above all a composer, whose craggily, joyously elemental music turned collections of pitches and rhythms and instruments into a force of nature, releasing a power that previous composers had only suggested metaphorically but which he would realise with arguably greater clarity, ferocity, intensity than any musician, before or since. This is the music of Iannis Xenakis. . . "

http://www.theguardian.com/music/to...emporary-music-guide-xenakis?CMP=share_btn_fb

jukes, Mik and John S like this.
  7. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Chandos CHAN 9836)

Fafner88, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I started collecting classical records 25 years ago,and I bought Mahler and Bruckner all along.Other than the Mahler 1st I never played any of them.I am glad I bought what I did,because I have some rare and collectible items.I am just starting to get into Bruckner.It has been an interesting discovery trip.

The original vinyl of this from 1975 is one I have yet to come across.I see it sells for like $30-50 for the London,and double that for the Decca.If it's as good as Mehta's other recordings from the 70s,I can easily see why.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Robin L, Bobbo and ToddBD like this.
  9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Nice set.Original vinyl is a box set,and doesn't turn up much.Counting mine,I think I've only seen two or three copies.

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I decided against that box as I already have his Mahler box, i.e. will end up with too many duplicates ...

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I've been loving this one recently:
    "Recorder Favourites"

[​IMG]
    Label: Australian Eloquence
    Catalogue No:ELQ4643612
    Michala Petri (recorders), Hanna Petri (harpsichord and piano), David Petri (cello).
    Includes works by Corelli, Leclair, Henriques, Schubert

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I can't say that this is my preferred version of either piece due to his rather idiosyncratic approach to tempo, rhythms, and dynamics, but he certainly does a fine job of clarify musical lines, especially in the Stravinsky. Very good sound.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  13. coopmv

Here is my favorite version ...

[​IMG]

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Mine is (by far) Natan Brand.

15. coopmv

Unfortunately, the following twofer was all I managed to get ...

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] Recorded 1/8-11/62 & released in 1963 on Columbia Masterworks MS 6473. Producer: Thomas Z. Shepard. I also have a copy of the LP.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  17. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Very very true!

18. john greenwood

Last week I got the announcement of the 92nd St. Y's 15/16 program, and it includes Garrick Ohlsson performing "Pictures." I've seen him give two recitals (Liszt and Scriabin) and he was outstanding (especially the Liszt B Minor), so I am looking forward to this.

Also, as I mentioned recently, Ratmansky's new ballet to the piano version is an artistic triumph.

19. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Some guide...!

Robin L likes this.
  20. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Been looking for the most enjoyable dream-like character of Richard Strauss' Four Last Songs. Can't tell how many times I've tried this... The comparison is all more difficult due to my lack of understanding of the difficulties of the art of singing. (Therefore: the search for the most enjoyable "dream-like" character.) The contenders are:

[​IMG]

It's just impossible to draw any clear-cut "results". I just like the quite enjoyable general sound of the recent (2008) Fleming, Münchner Philharmoniker & Thielemann recording. Sonically it's clearly different to the others. Also I like the slowish pace of the Janowitz, Berliner Philharmoniker & von Karajan (1974) recordings. According to the Wikipedia, Anna Tomowa-Sintow and von Karajan had an artistic thing going on during the last decades of the latter's life, but I just can't hear any particular magic in their eighties recordings (1986) and I have difficulties with the sound of that early digi recording. (Besides, I'm not sure whether we can call Tomowa-Sintova a "lyric soprano" like the others - although to my ears it's the voice of Fleming that differs from the others.)

Soile Isokoski I heard already in the eighties when she began her 'art singing' career (she's a trained cantor & organist, but she has a singing diploma too), and I had long time two copies of her and Radio-Sinfonieorcherter Berlin & Marek Janowski record (from 2002) due to the two cities/towns I sort of lived for few years. I'm used to their CD so to speak, though I guess the Janowitz & Karajan ceedee I've had a lot longer time.

Just a few notes: Things happen in the springtime on fast pace so I think the Frühling song must also be made in rather quick tempi - I have no difficulties with Isokoski & Janowski on that. They also make the slowest September song, and that's fine with me, too. Beim Schlafengehen is clearly slowest by Janowitz and very enjoyable indeed. Im Abendrot ("Rot und Gold: so muss es sein!" shouted Nina Hagen...): for some weird reason I can't decide between Janowitz and Isokoski. It's Janowitz who makes cold waves running my back. But otherwise/-wordly, can't decide... Slowest is the Fleming & Thielemann version. Nothing bad with that. It's the boomy sound I'm wondering: is this Strauss for Heavy Metal Generation? But then again, Thielemann just carves or moulds the orchestral background so enjoyably... there really is certain dream-like character to that despite the bass that wakens even the deads.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    ToddBD, Fafner88 and bluemooze like this.
  21. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

having still few minutes spare time, so listening & ripping this seldom listened cd...

[​IMG]

According to the back of the case (a huge price sticker that has so nasty glue that it's better leave that way), the price of the CD was €21,95 (i.e. for all ya non-europeans: €21.95 ;) ): it certainly haven't given sonic pleasure for that money! So we'll see/hear whether ripping it helps at all.

22. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Some of my favorite versions are, Cheryl Studer/Sinopoli, Arleen Auger/Previn, Felicity Lott/Jarvi, Nina Stemme/Pappano, and the two more recent recordings by Anja Harteros with Luisi and Jansons are also very good -- I much prefer her to Fleming.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    jukes likes this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Jessye Norman-one of my favorite versions of the Four Last Songs

ToddBD and john greenwood like this.
  24. john greenwood

What is Garrick playing in your neck of the woods?

25. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thank you! I very much appreciate recommendations due to my very own personal lack of knowledge on this odd subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.