Eurythmics on CD and remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The original In The Garden German cd is not shrill at all.
    What's you system?

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Shrill might not be the right word, but the treble is excessive. Reminds me a bit of the original Warner's CD of Tusk. Too bright, but a good recording. However the remaster is such a mess I can't complain, and like I said I thought the original vinyl had a very similar, overbright sound.

BIG ED likes this.
  3. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

I'd like to know too. I have the 18 track CD myself.

4. I see them quite a bit. It allowed me to go back and repurchase the lot that I sold when the awful remasters came out andi bought them.

scobb likes this.
  5. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I see them quite a bit, too. Especially Sweet Dreams and Be Yourself Tonight and sometimes Savage.

6. HiFi Guy 008

Edsel is hit or miss. Their remaster of John Foxx's In The Garden blows away the original UK cd. Much to my surprise.
    Their Pretenders reissues...not so good. Proceed with caution. The only thing I like about one of them is the Santa Monica concert on the bonus disc, which I first heard, and taped on the King Biscuit Flour Hour.

The original 1984 soundtrack isn't bad at all. Nothing like the vinyl, though.

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'll need to listen to my John Foxx cds again but I thought the original Virgin cds were the best for the 1st two albums. Granted, the packaging and bonus tracks got better with the reissues...hey - this is a familiar story, isn't it?! :laugh:

8. HiFi Guy 008

Oops. So there are 2cd Pretenders reissues on Edsel as well? And they use different mastering?

9. jsayers

The latest Edsel reissue has that same Santa Monica concert that Rhino put out in 2006 on it's 2-cd reissue. I have no idea on any mastering differences. I have the Rhino, don't think I'll be picking up the Edsels.

10. If they sound like the Edsel remasters we are screwed....

11. Two discs with a DVD.

12. I ended up ripping the additional tracks and volume matching them--didn't undo the damage but at least I could listen to them (I also added about 3db of bass and cut back on the treble a bit)

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Interesting. The remasters didn't seem terribly bass shy, but compression does sometimes end up making the bass seem less loud compared to the uncompressed version, as the midrange can get crushed.

BIG ED likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I hope this happens and that they include the original Video Albums on the DVDs. Plus I hope they include 1984. Wonder if any unreleased tracks exist from that album?

I will say when Edsel re-released the Michael Nesmith CDs there wasn't much extra and the one DVD in one of the collections (Pacific Arts) was a bad grainy transfer. Sound quality on the audio tracks was excellent though but the remastering was done by Nesmith.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I hope Annie oversees any remastering efforts. Her solo records have all sounded good to great. As I recall Dave handled the Eurythmics remasters. 'Nuff said.

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I have a feeling it'd be Dave again doing the remastering... But who knows.

17. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

There are 3 extended tracks (Sexcrime, Julia, and Ministry of Love) from 12" releases if nothing else. As the years have gone by, 1984 has become my favorite Eurythmics album, so I'd love to have the whole trove from that period.

DesertHermit, tmtomh, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Bought the original West German RCA discs of "Sweet Dreams" and "Touch" for 2€ each and think they sound great. These prices are totally bizarre because I can remember how expensive they were in 1983. These were among the first cd releases and regarded as gold dust

Now they are littering the bins:sweating::sweating::sweating:

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

They are not hard to find. I got Be Yourself Tonight, Sweet Dreams, and Revenge. Revenge is a Japan for US issue that I picked up from a charity shop for 99p (I also got the Japan for US pressing of Kenny Rogers's They Don't Make Them Like They Used To from the same charity shop at the same price).

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Pretty much all CDs are cheap and easy to find right now - everybody has ripped their collection and dumped the discs at the charity and used record stores. Less crap to store!

About the only discs still in short supply are audiophile remasters, like the stuff DCC did.

21. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

Weren't there some rumours about 18 months ago that there were deluxe remasters of all the Eurythmics albums being worked on that would include all b-sides, remixes and videos?

22. jsayers

Didn't they already do that <sans the videos> in brickwalled digi-packs? I can't see them doing that again.

c-eling likes this.
  23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I have the digipak remasters, bought them in a box set collection. I recently bought the original RCA CD of Sweet Dreams, Touch and Be Yourself Tonight (my 3 favorites) and they are SO MUCH BETTER! More "air" more transparent, better dynamics.

What I find so ironic is when these CD first came out they sounded so inferior to the LPs at the time. I guess the CD players may have had something do to with it too. But, the ironic part is, with better technology, hardware, recording equipment etc, the later remasters SHOULD sound better. They certainly COULD sound better. It is too bad the people who master music these days do not take advantage of the better mastering technology. I guess the people who mastered CDs back in the 80s knew better than the people who are doing it now (in general). Yep, so many times the older CDs played on modern CD players sound closer to the original vinyl equivalent than so man of the remasters do. Such a waste.

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The problem I find and that I have with most standard remasters is the pure amount of compression added, most of the time they seem to get the EQ right.
    Depeche Mode, Cure and the New Order remasters come to mind, I love the EQ choices, but the loudness/compression totally ruins it for me, they just don't sound natural

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Those Eurythmics remasters were compressed to hell. And the EQ wasn't terrific either.

But I never thought there was anything particularly wrong with the original CDs. I had all the vinyl, and the CDs sounded pretty damn similar. Presumably they were made from the same masters or - I'm guessing here - the cassette masters perhaps. I'm sure they could be improved on, but I doubt they could be improved on a lot.

Then again, I thought Blondie's catalog was hopeless, but the remasters done back around 2000 are stunning. Don't know how they coaxed all that out of those tapes - the original CDs were flat and the vinyl was thin 35 years ago - but nicely done.

scobb and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.