Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have their earlier version ... :righton:

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My understanding is that they only recorded them once.

I have this set:

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  3. coopmv

I meant the earlier master ...

[​IMG]

This is the only volume of the multi-volume boxes I have ...

Mik likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Handel - Semele" performed by The New Symphony Orchestra of London led by Anthony Lewis and featuring Jennifer Vyvyan, Helen Watts, William Herbert, George James, Thurston Dart and The Saint Anthony Singers on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Originally recorded in 1956. This is a 1971 reissue and has been electronically enhanced for stereo!

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

Unlike the much later L'Oiseau-Lyre release, this one has to be non-HIP. My version is the following

[​IMG]

and I may have a version on LP and other CD versions in some Handel big boxes ...

It is too bad Emma was not included in the cast but Emma rarely recorded with Gardiner.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Handel - Semele" performed by the English Chamber Orchestra led by John Nelson and featuring Kathleen Battle, Marilyn Horne, Samuel Ramey, John Aler, Sylvia McNair, Michael Chance and the Ambrosian Opera Chorus on DG.

Couldn't handle the sound on the other one!

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Die Zauberflote, Don Giovanni.

Mik likes this.
  8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

While in the park, do you use iPod to write these discussions?

9. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Coffee break. I was looking for something light, and to my suprise I couldn't find Sibelius' Karelia Suite on digital (I know there's an old LP by Okko Kamu with Karelia Suite, though). Therefore, today my light classical is Images (though Boulez makes it better, I think):

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I think you should experience Puccini-Madame Butterfly, Turandot, LaBoheme,Tosca. Russian opera is challenging but rewarding-Boris Godunov, Prince Igor, The Queen of Spades, Iolanta, and of course Prokofiev's War and Peace-just to start. You will eventually want to collect all of them from Glinka,Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-korsakov, Borodin, Moussorgsky, Prokofiev and Shostakovich. Richard Strauss-Salome, Electra and Ariadne und Naxos. Verdi-all of them but start with MacBeth. Another great-Benjamin Britten-any of them but start with The turn of the Screw. Wagner-any but start with The Ring. Just a few suggestions to get you started. Get your wallet ready! If you can start with LPs-you can get a lot of opera for low $.

Hawkman likes this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning-Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde. Janet Baker, James King, Concertgebouw Orchestra conducted by Bernard Haitink. Part of Philips label box-CD 23. Excellent!

ToddBD, bluemooze and John S like this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Late to the party as always, but for what it's worth, in 1940 a series of anonymous records appeared on the label "The World's Greatest Operas." The dozen chosen wouldn't be a bad list for a "basic starter library" of core repertory:

Bizet: Carmen
    Gounod: Faust
    Leoncavallo: Pagliacci
    Mozart: Marriage of Figaro
    Puccini: La Boheme
    Puccini: Madama Butterfly
    Verdi: Aida
    Verdi: Rigoletto
    Verdi: La Traviata
    Wagner: Loehengrin
    Wagner: Tannhauser
    Wagner: Tristan und Isolde

Since then, Mozart's operas have become more prevalent and the so-called bel canto repertory has undergone a revival; to the above I'd certainly add Rossini's The Barber of Seville and Italian Girl in Algiers and Mozart's Magic Flute, Don Giovanni, and Abduction from the Seraglio. Maybe Cosi fan Tutte as well. Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor and Elixir of Love probably should be there as well. Tchaikowsky has also become more evident, and Queen of Spades and Eugene Onegin should be added, as should Mussorgsky's Boris Gudounov. The list, of course, could grow to be endless, but in a rush waiting for my daughter to be ready to leave for school this group is at least a decent starting point.

Oh, one other thought: in this day and age, I'd start with DVDs, not audio-only records. Opera was meant to be seen as well as heard, and technology makes that easy now. That's especially true, I think, for the Wagner works, but it's valid as a general matter.

ToddBD likes this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Generally, no. You all can wait until I get home.:D

jukes likes this.
  14. john greenwood

I have the Karelia on Decca twice. Maazel and Ashkenazy.

geralmar likes this.
  15. john greenwood

Agree with this. I think I mentioned that in a prior post in response to you. I am currently halfway through the early 90's Ring Cycle conducted by James Levine. The sound, while PCM (and technically I believe CD quality), is not up to a good audio recording, but it is well filmed.

Two opera favorites that I don't think have been mentioned are Verdi's Otello and Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier..

16. coopmv

You did not bring your iPad? :winkgrin:

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Sonatas No.19 Op.49/1, No.21 Op.53 "Waldstein", No.23 Op.57 "Appassianoata", No.25 Op.79, No.26 Op.81a "Les Adiux" — Eric Heidseck (EMI Music France), CD 15 from:

[​IMG]

geralmar and bluemooze like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Beethoven's Opuses 31-49 from the above set.

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Josquin Desprez - Motets et Chansons" by The Hilliard Ensemble on EMI Reflexe.

[​IMG]

Mik, John S and Robin L like this.
  20. coopmv

:righton:

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Jommelli - Lamentazioni per il Mercoledi Santo" performed by Veronique Gens and Gerard Lesne with Il Seminario musicale led by Christophe Rousset on Virgin Classics.

[​IMG]

Soulpope likes this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 1 from "Bach - Werke fur Solo-Instrumente" from the "Die Neue Bach-Edition" box sets on Archiv.

Side 1 performed by Goran Sollscher - guitar.
    • Fugue BWV 1000
    • Suite BWV 996

[​IMG]

Mik and Bachtoven like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 1 from "Bach - Kammermusik Vol. 1" performed by Alice Harnoncourt (violin), Nikolaus Harnoncourt (gambe) and Herbert Tachezi (cembalo) on Das Alte Werk.
    • Sonata BWV 1014
    • Sonata BWV 1015
    [​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Naturally, once I was out driving, I had further thoughts. I should have mentioned Bellini's Norma, widely considered the pinnacle of the bel canto operas, and I'd like to add two flawed masterpieces that still are dear to my heart (although only one has any claim to be "standard repertory," at least in the United States): Beethoven's Fidelio and Boito's Mefistofele.

25. john greenwood

I have Sollscher's Bach on CD. Not sure if he re-recorded them.
    I had one box set from that series. Exquisitely quiet vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.