Dire Straits Brothers in Arms MOFI 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by irwin69, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sounds great but my copy is going back due to repetitive crackles and pops on side 4. A big piece of trimming fell off the record and on close inspection side 4 has a series of scrape like marks. First faulty Mo-Fi I've had for years. Don't know how this got by QC as it's hard to miss. Fortunately Diverse Vinyl refund second class postage. Frustrating wait now for replacement.

3. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Fremer's review is interesting. I'd like to know if anyone's compared this to the Ricker cut. I still prefer the RL to the Ricker cut. It sounds like Fremer definitely thought the MoFi beats the RL but, as I recall, he also thought the Ricker was superior to the RL.

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Comparing the Stan Ricker cut to this new 45 RPM version would have been a better comparison because the songs lengths would have been the same, IMO. Good review though. The RL does sound good though, and the 12" singles from the RL cut are just crazy good. I don't have this new version yet to compare it for myself.

Pat

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm not crazy about this album so I'll stick with the original RL LP. It does have some zip to it in the treble, which can get annoying. But it also has more snap and transient attack than any digital version I've heard.

6. MK-421

MK-421 Well-Known Member

I just bought the MoFi 45RPM also (in the mail). Albeit, I only have the RL to compare it to.

telepicker97 likes this.
  7. I have the Stan Ricker version and thinking about getting the MoFi release for a comparison. Not sure if it's worth the expense, though.

8. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

:shtiphat:

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I just can't justify buying another version either. This was one of my first CD purchases in early 1986, I also have the Surround SACD Version-the one nobody seems to like, also the Stan Ricker 2LP set, and the MFSL Stereo SACD. I bet the MFSL 45RPM sounds good though!
    Chris

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I should be picking this up tommorow with some luck. I currently have the Chris Bellman recent double reissue pressed by GZ media. The record is a little noisy and has a couple of pressing issues so i plan on trading it in at the same time.

12. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Michael Fremer does a review on Analogplant.com

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Isn't it largely the stereo layer that not many people like? I love the 5.1 mix of Brothers in Arms, The Man's Too Strong kicks butt.

reidc likes this.
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just spinnng my copy now. Sounds much better to me than the Chris Bellman issue....much deeper powerful sound. And it is the warmest that ive heard this record...

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It sounds good but I think you really have to like this album to justify the purchase. It isn't all that much better than the original press.

Paully and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  16. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

The MoFi vinyl is almost $60. I have the Bellman mastered LP from 2014. Is there a drastic difference in the two pressings and is it worth 'upgrading' to the MoFi ?

richbdd01 likes this.
  17. Unless you are including shipping, it's not "almost $60" but $44.99 on Elusive Disc and Sound Stage Direct.

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yes hence my post, this beats it hands down imo. Much deeper sound, sounds very analogue compared to any other versions ive had before. This is the reference at the moment imo and may be the best this will sound. Im happy i went for it, it sounds amazing!

canonlon likes this.
  19. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Hmm...really?? You're kidding right, i actually had an original last year! I rate this MUCH better, theres no comparison!

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Mikey bends way, way over backwards to kiss MoFi's butt in that review. His rationale for making a 16/44-48 PCM file available on vinyl is unconvincing. Sure, it's the best vinyl version available, which rather entirely misses the point.

MoFi tweaked the EQ! Well, whoop-de-do.

Paully likes this.
  22. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Exchange rate, maybe?

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

not kidding. I have always felt Dire Straight had the best sounding studio records. I just don't think there is as much improvement to make as there is with other MoFi releases.

24. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Amazon = about $60.00

Other online stores for LP + shipping to my address = $60

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.