Does HDCD make a noticeable difference?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monosterio, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No you are correct Don, DB pads it to 24, I use the same software also for my decodes

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for the verification. I'm correct every once in a while! :D

c-eling likes this.
  3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Effective bit depth of HDCD-decoded material is 17-20 bits...

stereoptic likes this.
  4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I have the Oppo BDP-105D that decodes HDCD. I bought CSN (couch) to check out the difference. The bass is boosted, that's about all the difference I could hear. Never bought another. The 24 bit version sounds better to my ears, as does the Classic Records vinyl version.

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I am not sure which one's I have use peak extension so I just rip everything without the +6 selected

stereoptic likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Are you sure the bass boost has anything to do with HDCD?

7. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Actually, no. I don't have a regular CD of it, but I do have the 96/24 of it and it sounds fine to me. Do you have this HDCD or the CD?

8. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I've compared "Last Time Around" by Buffalo Springfield with the non HDCD version, This is one where I did hear a noticeable difference with HDCD. The bass was fuller and there was more depth of sound IMO.

9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

This is the clearest and most concise explanation of HDCD decoding I have read. There is no extra 4 bits of resolution hidden anywhere. That is where people misunderstand the process. It is a very dynamic process, but it is all in the filtering.

Mr. Explorer, rcsrich and lukpac like this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The differences noted just come down to different mastering.

tmtomh and Coricama like this.
  11. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Clever DSPing mostly... ;)

vegafleet likes this.
  12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, that's right.
    But it was in the mid 90s that this HDCD chip was good for it's filter section. But now 20 years later, it's NOT!

13. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

That A/D converter was and still is great. Not because of HDCD but it is an costly and "audiophile" designed converter that sounds good in its analogue section.

14. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

wow!
    I don't know about anyone here who disses HDCD but one of the most lifelike recordings I've heard is "the Medinah Sessions" by Chicago Pro Musica on Reference Recordings.
    I think even Steve would agree that Keith O Johnson knows what he's doing!

15. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

Interesting because "The Last Time Around" HDCD insert says it is the same mastering as the non HDCD version.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No it doesn't.

17. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

The little HDCD indicator light turns on, so yes it makes a difference that is noticeable.

rcsrich and BGLeduc like this.
  18. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

The only difference is that one says HDCD (on the CD) and the other does not. You are saying the that mastering is different?

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm saying 1) the mastering is different, and 2) the artwork is different.

Original:

"Digitally remastered from the original master tapes by Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital, Los Angeles, February 1992."

HDCD (RE-1 in matrix):

"Remastered from the original master tapes

Analog to HDCD® transfers by John Nowland, assisted by "Pflash" Pflaumer at Pacific Microsonics, Berkeley, CA.
    Digital mastering by Tim Mulligan at Redwood Digital, Woodside, CA."

The inserts are also different. The original credits all songs to Springalo-Cotillion, while the HDCD has different notes for each songwriter, indicated by different numbers of asterisks.

20. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It may be a 24-bit file, but I think the final 4 bits are just padding - there's only 20-bits of info.

22. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

Well, as I have literally hundreds of HDCD discs, owning pretty much complete catalogues of the Grateful Dead, Neil Young, King Crimson, Roxy Music and Joni Mitchell HDCD titles, I decided to invest in a Rotel HDCD player about 7 or 8 years ago and I am really pleased with the sound. I actually have different audio setups in three downstairs rooms, and nowadays I pretty much only play the HDCD cds in the room with the Rotel unit. It may of course be that the Pacific Microsonics DAC is the real hero here but I generally notice a really richer dynamic sound with HDCD playback. There seems to be more "punch" and separation. Also, occasionally the HDCD light comes on with a release that is not noted on the cover as HDCD. Two such are Nancy Sinatra's "The Essential Nancy Sinatra" on EMI/Liberty and the bootleg escaped release of Neil Young's "Time Fades Away".

Until I read this thread I had no idea that "Brian Wilson Presents Smile" and Costello's "Painted From Memory" were HDCDs. I have just tested my copies and they both light up as red. Result! I will give them a good listen tomorrow. It's likely I have just never listened to them in that room since I bought the Rotel player...

23. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Two years late in responding.....

I just played my copy of this CD single last night and noticed the same thing. My guess is that the reason "Interstate" is not encoded in HDCD is that it was recorded during the Ragged Glory sessions in 1990 and was not from the sessions for Broken Arrow that produced the other two tracks on the single. For whatever reason, they probably just used the old tape for "Interstate" and did not take the time to master it using HDCD. The "Big Time" single was only released in Europe (I think), so it was probably pieced together on the cheap without much involvement from Neil's team in California.

24. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

yes, exactly

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

definitely a possibility.

thanks for replying.

and i still, even 2 years later, do not know the real answer, although your theory is quite possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.