Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'll be seeing her in recital at Disney Hall April 14th

John S, SteelyTom and bluemooze like this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:agree:

SteelyTom likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Can I ask why?

I just checked my set and it appears that this was the first international release of that concerto recording. So I am glad that they included it.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, the set is called The Complete Decca Solo Recordings, so it should include solo recordings and nothing else. Nitpicking, I know, but still... :) On the other hand having some extra (non-solo) stuff is better than not having all the solo recordings, as was the case with Sviatoslav Richter's Solo Recordings set on Decca. With help from Jed Distler they rectified that with the release of the Richter Complete Decca, Philips and DG set.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This newest installment maintains the qualities in their previous ones: intensely driven loud parts, and ethereal soft passages, especially in Op.131. Despite a 44kHz sampling rate, their tone seems a touch fuller than in the previous releases--still very closely mic'd, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. George P

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

8. George P

That's correct.

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Big jump moving from Op.18-1 to Op.131, eh?

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Indeed! It is sometimes jarring, but the stylistic developments are certainly more obvious in their non-chronological groupings. I just hope they have figured out an economical way to group them so their full series doesn't involve extra discs compared to other complete sets.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

After I placed the order with Presto Classical almost 2 months ago, the following box and a few other recordings finally arrived yesterday. Needless to say, I am not very happy with such service and this will likely be my last order with this UK etailer. Now playing CD1 - Corelli Sonatas from the box ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  12. coopmv

This is a box that almost every man and his cousin has in this classical music collection, myself included ... :righton:

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Are you sure the store (Presto) is to blame? Could be the slowness of the postal service/carrier.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Currently not much activity around here :)

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Been listening to jazz for two days. :)

John S, Mik and Robin L like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've been listening to jazz all week :)

Mik and Robin L like this.
  17. coopmv

Presto Classical sent the email confirmation that it was shipped in earlier March after I had made a complaint and it apologized for the delay. It used to ship my orders real fast ...

18. coopmv

I wonder why?

19. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I picked up some classical discs yesterday and if I can remember I'll take a picture and post it here to see if any of you can give me some info about them.

20. coopmv

Now playing CD16 -Beethoven Sextet in E and Quintet in A by L'Archibudelli from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

alankin1, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

So much for the Sony quality. Track 17 of this CD is largely unplayable, as the music is all mangled up ... :realmad:. Not sure what kind fo recourse I have at this point ...

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Codex Engelberg 314" performed by Dominique Vellard, Emmanuel Bonnardot, Gerd Turk and the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis on DHM.

'Music of the Late Middle Ages'

[​IMG]

john greenwood and Mik like this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've been hypnotized by the quasi-aleatory videos on the DVD Audio of Beck's Guero—deserving of inclusion in LACMA's modern exhibitions—and sincerely wonder how how much of a 'serious' composer this mash-up monster might be. The orchestrations of "Morning Phase" are by his father, a musician that managed to travel from the world of classical music, learning violin, viola and piano as a young man, moving on to conducting and orchestration, and finally a very busy musician/orchestrator in Pop. Fascinating journey. Beck's dad might very well be a one-man Wrecking Crew::

http://davidmusic.com/biography/professionalbiography/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Campbell_(composer)

This all makes me wonder what sort of concert music Beck might come up with.

However, the snares of Satan's employee of the week* have been broken by a recording of one of Bach's best instrumental works, played in a fashion the composer might recognize:

[​IMG]

Bach: Art of Fugue BWV 1080, Andre Isoir, Grenzing Organ St-Cyprien-Perigord, on Caliope records. Really fine version, lovely SQ.

* In Beck's early "Satan Gave Me A Taco," our intrepid singer/songwriter finds that the near-fatal mexican snack offered by El Diablo leads directly to fame and fortune in Rock and Roll, and finally a gig with Satan in "Taco Hell." It's got a Johnny Cash feel and chords to match.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the Brahms, Schubert, Chopin and Schumann from the above box.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have purchased from Presto several times and had prompt service. One ordered got delayed due to lack of supply so Presto sent me a back order email and did fill it when set was available. Just now I have ordered from MDT from whom I have not previously ordered. I could not resist their price on the new Decca Mono years big box. They sent dispatch notice within hours of the order. Will advise when received.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.