Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Up today for listening at the office-the Richard Strauss box set from Brilliant Classics. Haven't run through this box in a while.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Shucks - I only have the CD of Guero. And although I have several albums by Beck, I don't seem to have "Taco". The SACD of "Sea Change" sounds mighty nice though.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Sony music has the worst quality control problems compared with EMI or UMG ...
    :edthumbs:

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

I like the French label Calliope and have a number of very interesting recordings. Is it still around or has it become part of that WarnerMuisc operation and largely disappears?

5. coopmv

I used to buy from MDT quite often and its turnaround was always very fast. Presto Classical used to be very good too until this most recent order. Presto also charges my credit card as soon as the order is placed instead of charging me when the order is actually shipped ...

6. coopmv

Happy third spin!

7. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I apologize in advance for interloping, but I've always loved classical music and have performed my fair share of it. I just really didn't know where to begin in terms of buying recordings. This is where I started:

[​IMG]

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Welcome! :wave:

Sorry, I can't see your image.

Can you say more about works/composers you love and we can offer some recordings as suggestions?

DLant likes this.
  9. DLant

I really enjoy Mozart and Bach. Beethoven... if I'm feeling a tad angst.

10. john greenwood

Welcome. Always happy to add another Mozartian! If you like the flute concertos, may I suggest the clarinet concerto and the clarinet quintet?

DLant likes this.
  11. coopmv

They all look like decent recordings except the Concerto for Flute as I cannot quite tell who the performers were ... :righton:

12. DLant

The inner sleeve says: Arife Gülsen Tatu, and the/und die Salzburger Mozart-Soloists/Solisten

:shrug:

13. George P

Mik, Fafner88 and DLant like this.
  14. john greenwood

Some opera this morning.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Fafner88 like this.
  15. coopmv

Perhaps other members of CMC may be familiar with this ensemble, I am not.

DLant likes this.
  16. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

I cannot see where your live but even if you are in the UK why would you buy the Decca Mono Sound from MDT when amazon.it is nearly £20 cheaper. Unless MDT have some fantastic shipping rates I cannot imagine MDT working out cheaper than amazon.it overall (and remember if you use Google Chrome it will translate the pages for you).

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00QHL0V3C

17. coopmv

I have indeed purchased quite a few boxes from Amazon UK that had much better prices than Amazon US. I also use MDT and jpc besides Presto.

18. john greenwood

As for Bach, may I suggest you take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Brandenb...8&qid=1426274873&sr=8-1&keywords=pinnock+bach

You may be able to beat the price elsewhere. I tried to ding a listing for it at the ImportCDs website, but was not successful. This is a historically informed performance, so it will sound different from Marriner's approach to Baroque music (which I enjoy as well).

These days cheap CD box sets of classical music by outstanding artists abound. Some have excellent sound, some do not. But without a doubt, it's a great time to start a library for a heck of a lot less than I paid.

J.A.W., Robin L and DLant like this.
  19. coopmv

:agree:

20. DLant

I'll see if I can find this. Thank you!

21. George P

Mik likes this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Here is a May 11 1969 Royal Albert Hall performance by Richter that came with this month's BBC Music Magazine.

[​IMG]

23. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

The trouble is that amazon.co.uk has become very uncompetitive in its pricing. Invariably either amazon.de or amazon.it are significantly cheaper on new releases. Take the forthcoming Mercury Living Presence Volume 3 Box; it's £98.99 on amazon.co.uk (and AFAIK has only ever been as low as a smidgen under £90) while on amazon.it it is now down to the equivalent of just under £65. The same sort of price differential applied to the Decca Sound Mono box. I know amazon.it's delivery charges are not as competitive as amazon.co.uk's but is it that different to not be worth buying from amazon.it?

John A likes this.
  24. George P

I keep hearing about this. Unfortunately, I can't see the image.

25. John A

John A New Member

Thanks for this tip, I've just saved myself £30!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.