Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

I think you get the same pre-order price guarantee as amazon.co.uk so you may yet save some more as amazon.it have been chipping away at the price over the last couple of weeks!

John A likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I hear you. As a matter of fact, many Amazon MarketPlace Sellers also handily beat the Amazon prices even after the shipping costs have been factored in.

3. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

To help you check out pricing on various amazon sites use:

http://halfsize.me

even if no stock is listed you can click on the link to see if there is a price for the item.

John A likes this.
  4. coopmv

Just out of curiosity, how many CMC members have encountered defective CD's in these mega boxes, i.e. boxes with at least 30 CD's?

5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

How about this one?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Agreed. I buy less stuff on Prime than in the past. Most third party items get to me in about a week, which is okay with me considering the savings.

7. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Again you should check around as the same marketplace seller may price differently on different amazons. Take the Decca Mono Box, Zoverstocks has it for 89.39 euros on amazon.it, 97.98 euros on amazon.de and £87.66 on amazon.co.uk (approx 123 euro) - a difference of over 30 euros!

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes! Thanks!

9. coopmv

I have never bothered with Amazon Prime for this reason. It simply makes so sense to me to pay $99 (or is it $129 now?) when the free shipping only covers what I buy at Amazon at generally higher price.

10. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

I have in three so far (out of about twenty) - one disc in each of: Mercury Living Presence Volume 2; DG The Originals - Legendary Recordings; and Centenary Edition 1913 - 2013 Berliner Philamoniker. I am also undecided on my copy of the first Living Stereo box as to whether or not there is a defective disc in there (AccurateRip doesn't like it). Also my Karajan - Strauss 10CD DG box had one of the discs glued in - amazon.de just sent me a replacement for it and told me to dispose of the old box as I saw fit.

11. coopmv

Hail to the internet to make such slicing and dicing of prices possible on different market places at the drop of a dime ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I haven't listened yet, but I'm hardly an expert on solo piano music as I listen to it less than Orchestral and Chamber.

I would guess that it's vintage Richter.

13. coopmv

Unfortunately, few of us can listen through boxes of 60 CD's each fast enough to discover any defective discs early on. I have boxes I purchased four to five years ago and I am just about done with the listening for the first pass. In principle, the record companies should not place a very short time restriction for such exchange. But who knows.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I can't think of any. One or two have needed a cleaning. The only disc in recent memory that I couldn't get to play at all was the mono "A Hard Day's Night." And a Good Samaritan sent me a rip of that.

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

None yet (fingers crossed and knock on wood).

16. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying more of the Schumann from the above box. While I enjoy it, I think his Beethoven is a great deal more successful. For Schumann, I like Richter, Arrau, Natan Brand and Cortot.

Me too. :agree:

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Also, if you wait to order until you have over $35 worth of items (which are both sold by Amazon and no more than $4 [shipping price] above the Amazon market-place competition) you get free shipping anyway.

18. George P

Correct, but with Prime, you get it in two days. The free shipping over $35 can take a week or more to arrive.

(I am not a Prime member, just clarifying the details)

bluemooze likes this.
  19. John A

John A New Member

none, ever. I have the Rubinstein big box, the two Living Presence boxes, the two Decca boxes, the Decca Phase 4 box and the l'Oiseau Lyre box.

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yes, and there have been so many great box bargains over the last number of years. Bring on the Hogwood Renaissance box!

21. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

In the EU there is a minimum of two years to claim for a defective item. Each member state can increase the time limit; in England it is six years and in Scotland five years. Your biggest problem is that an item goes out of print before you find the defect. I thought that was going to be the case with the MLP2 box. Fortunately a fellow Hoffmanite helped me out before I was able to get a replacement box.

22. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

[​IMG]

IMO one of the best recordings of Beethoven Violin Sonatas ever. Period!

bluemooze likes this.
  24. coopmv

I just emailed Sony Music Customer Support and will see if they will offer me an exchange. The same CD is available for a few dollars as used on Amazon but I am not too crazy about paying for it ...

bluemooze likes this.
  25. coopmv

Now playing CD18 - Schubert Symphonies Nos 7 & 8 by Bruno Weil with the Classical Band from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.