Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

When I contacted Decca about the defective disk in my MLP2 box they never responded.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

:sigh: When I contacted them about my defective Blu-Ray of the Brahms Symphonies they never responded.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I will not be surprised if I receive the same treatment as you did. Customer service means very little these days ... :sigh:

4. coopmv

They have gotten your money already and don't want to be bothered ...

5. coopmv

Don't know how many CMC members buy from BRO. Just received the following email from it and not sure if this is bad news ...

Dear Customers,
    Effective April 1st, 2015, we will be closing down for inventory, prior to relocating to a new fulfillment center. Our retail store will permanently close and all business activity, including access to our website and publication of our print catalog, will be temporarily suspended. We will send out a notification when operations have resumed.

We will continue with our thrice weekly updates through Saturday March 28th.

Sincerely, Berkshire Record Outlet

bluemooze likes this.
  6. coopmv

It is average performance so far. There is nothing in the performance that grabbed my attention like the Harnoncourt's version ...

7. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Not in all cases.

About the same time I contacted Dr Rhino about a defective disk in their Atlantic Soul (1959-1975) box and even though I am in the UK they sent a replacement out from the US. And then there is Asthmatic Kitty who on identifying an issue with the vinyl edition of Sufjan Steven's Silver & Gold over a year after they'd released went to the trouble of sending replacement copies of the faulty vinyl to purchasers of the box.

8. john greenwood

No - fortunately in this case I got it back from Amazon.

9. john greenwood

I've posted this story several times over the years, but probably not in the CMC thread. Back in the mid 70's the jazz producer, Norman Granz, launched his own label, Pablo. He charged a buck more than most jazz labels at the time - the equivalent of European classical labels like DG and Philips. One of the first Pablo LPs I bought was by Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass. The vinyl quality was poor. I tried swapping it twice, with no improvement. So I wrote a letter to Granz telling him (politely) that if he wanted to charge a premium price he had to provide a premium product. I got back a handwritten apology from him, together with six copies of the album and an album of Fitzgerald and Oscar Peterson for my troubles.

Mik, Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I bought a lot from them in the past but nothing in recent years. I still get their updates. They do seem to have a huge inventory & I have wondered just who would buy a lot of the items listed.

11. coopmv

You lost me. Are you referring to BRO?

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have, at work, and it's a real winner. A real sense of structural steel underlying all, particularly in the Schumann and Beethoven.

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

This is something I will listen to with coffee tomorrow morning.

14. coopmv

Now playing CD7 - Mendelssohn and Chopin Sonatas by Janos Starker and Gyorgy Sebok from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Sorry, it was meant to be a reply to your post about BRO.

16. coopmv

Now playing CD19 - Beethoven Trios for Violin, Viola and Violoncello by L'Archibudelli from the following box for a first listen. I am attempting to speed through this box to determine if there are other defective discs ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  17. coopmv

BRO is in RRB's neck of the wood and he has probably visited its retail store. It is not clear if BRO is in trouble. I last placed an order sometimes last year ...

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oops--redundant posting. Nothing to see here. Please move along.

ToddBD and john greenwood like this.
  19. coopmv

I received and posted the same email from BRO earlier. Perhaps I have read too much into the permanent closure of its retail store ...

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just stumbled on this guy's YouTube channel. Very entertaining early music videos. The guy has access to a lot of different instruments and plays them all well.

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

Now playing CD8 - Dvorak Cello Concerto & Bruch Kol Nidrei by Janos Starker and Antal Dorati with the LSO from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  22. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Bach Goldberg Variations from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

It probably is a duplicate of the following twofer I bought a few years ago.

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  23. coopmv

We live and learn, as I did not know Bruch Ko Nidrei, Opus 47 is quite a beautiful piece of music ...

24. coopmv

For Goldberg Variations performed on piano, Rosalyn Tureck, Angela Hewitt, Glenn Gould and Tatiana Nikolayeva were all excellent in their own ways and it is not easy to pick a winner. However, for Goldberg Variations performed on harpsichord, Pierre Hantai may actually be the top performer IMO. I have the Goldberg Variations by all these keyboard artists ...

25. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer from my Chopin collection - Nocturnes by Claudio Arrau, a favorite of many folks - mine is the original Philips version ... :edthumbs::agree:

[​IMG]

Mik, J.A.W., George P and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.