Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Joseph Haydn – String Quartets Op.76/1, Op.76/2 "Fifths", Op.76/3 "Emperor"
    — Takacs Quartet (London / Decca Records)

[​IMG]

From a big pile of classical (and a few jazz) CDs I bought yesterday at an estate sale for about a dollar a disc. I got there too late for any box sets (which included Philips Mozart boxes), but I still found enough. The previous owner seemed like an interesting person: he had books on birds, art, and fly fishing, a number of grandfather clocks and a pile of horologist journals, pipes, photo developing equipment and even some curling (the 'sport') pins. Felt a bit strange walking through his house...

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I stopped by their "retail store" after an open rehearsal at Tanglewood. It's really just the lobby of their warehouse with a few racks of examples of stuff they have in the warehouse, but it's mostly a place to e-mail them an order and then pick it up. I don't think losing their store is a major concern, it was always a sidenote (and only open on Saturdays, anyway).

Their current location is quite convenient to both the Mass Pike and the giant Lee Outlet Mall, so perhaps they're decamping for even cheaper real estate?

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD10, the last CD - Tchaikovsky Variations on a Rococo Theme and Saint-Saens Cello Concerto by Janos Starker and Antal Dorati with the LSO from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

5. coopmv

Now playing CD20 - Febus Avant! Music at the Court of Gaston Febus 1331-1391 by Huelgas Ensemble and Paul Van Nevel from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

7. john greenwood

Apparently.

8. coopmv

Thanks for the heads up. I just canceled my order. The last thing I need is more duplicate CD's ...

BTW, due to the general lack of familiarity with these early works, it is much more difficult to track duplicate when the recording is re-issued by the likes of BC or Regis ...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  9. coopmv

Now playing CD21 - Nicolas Gombert by Huelgas Ensemble and Paul Van Nevel from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Spinning on the CD tray right now-CD 37 from the Decca Analogue box- Brahms Piano Concerto No.1, Curzon, Szell and London Symphony. Bonus is the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 27 in B flat major. Curzon Szell and Wiener Philharmoniker.

Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  11. john greenwood

Nice box isn't it? I came across one of my few disappointments yesterday - the music for "La Fille Mal Gardee." It may be fine at the ballet (and as people here know, I am a ballet fan) but on its own, it's just not that interesting. My ears only awoke when I heard the bits borrowed from Rossini.

Daedalus likes this.
  12. Daedalus

That particular CD is the next one up for me. I will let you what I think.

13. coopmv

Now playing CD22 - Airs de Cour French Court Music from the 17th Century, Marie Claude Vallin and Max van Egmond with Lutz Kirchhof on lute from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just received in the mail the first original cast album of Leonard Bernstein's Candide (the one with Max Adrian as Dr. Pangloss). The LP copy I've had and enjoyed for years is a late, so-so pressing, and the CD, purchased used from an Amazon reseller for five bucks or so shipped, adds the overture conducted by the composer, so I "splurged," so to speak, in the process easing my eventual copying of the music to hard drive. Well, here's an oddity for you: for some unaccountable reason, although the music takes up but a single disc, Sony saw fit to package it in an otherwise empty full sized four-disc-set type fat jewel box. :wtf: :crazy:

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Three aspects of this recording might put off some listeners:

1) He tags on Chopin's Prelude at the end of the Rachmaninoff.
    2) He adds mini-cadenzas to replace fermatas in the Beethoven.
    3) Scarcely one second separates the end of the Beethoven and the jarring opening of the Copland.

Once one gets past those issues, there is some wonderful and commanding piano playing! I heard him play the best Pictures at an Exhibition that I have ever heard in concert a few years ago, so I'm pleased to see him get a recording contract. The sound varies a bit among the pieces due to different venues, but they are all at least good sounding, if not state of the art.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Daedalus

Light music. Not exactly my cup of tea either but sonically a real pleasure. Yes this Decca box is filled with excellent performances and recordings. I am looking forward to receipt of the mono box. Have you(or anyone) purchased the Decca Phase 4 box? Any opinions?

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And I see musical lines of musical demarcation becoming blurry in the wake of the tape recorder and the development of multi-tracking, overdubs and musique concrete. A lot of music of the last third of the twentieth century is based on what people usually think of as 'noise'. I listen to a lot of it, sounds like the present to me.

18. john greenwood

Send it back! It's not the original mix! :D

I wonder whether in this case the remix is actually the first stereo mix (and this is clearly not an electronic enhancement). I had a cassette of the original cast album and my recollection is that it was mono. Is your LP mono or stereo?

Candide was recorded in December 1956. The two other Columbia cast albums I have from 1956 (My Fair Lady* and The Most Happy Fella - both recorded earlier in the year) were mono only. West Side Story came out in 1957 in both mono and stereo.

I also have the studio recording led by Bernstein, and I used to have the New York City Opera recording. Both have a lot of additional music, some only added in subsequent productions. But I listen to the original cast album the most. To think Barbara Cook had to sing that 8 times a week.

As for the case, I suspect it was used because the booklet is pretty thick.

* My Fair Lady was re-recorded in stereo in 1959.

Edit - by any chance, do you have Oklahoma in its original release on six 78s? I recall seeing copies at houses of friends of my parents when I was a kid.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  19. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

And, dissonance really depends on how the listener defines it...what might be dissonant to someone may be considered consonant by someone else, due to their experiences, level of musical knowledge, etc.

Robin L likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Time for some Bagatelles by Glenn Gould. I forgot the specific reason I had pulled this off the shelf and put it on my listen pile a few weeks ago, but I am enjoying it now.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great performances in very good sound (the SACD layer). Feel kind of disappointed that Gilbert is going to be replaced. He did a lot to bring NYP back into the scene.

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 3 others like this.
  22. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD, which just arrived from across the pond a few days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and Bachtoven like this.
  23. john greenwood

Did some further checking. Candide was originally released as Columbia OS 2350, which indicates stereo. It is still a remix however.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yeah . . . safe to say Xenakis is pretty dissonant, always find his music thrilling.

Mik likes this.
  25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Agreed...on both counts!

Robin L likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.