Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Op. 33 is nearly normal, well played, decently recorded and quite enjoyable for just about anyone into Beethoven's piano music. The Op. 126 is for fans of Richter's rendition of Schubert's B-flat sonata, or Celibidache's Bruckner—agonizingly slow and totally committed to the music. Hyp—no—tiz—ing.

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have some of Yves Nat on Haydn Society,recorded by Discophiles Francais.

3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

This is a beautiful recording.... Purchased today along with 49 other classical LPs at a local thrift. All in VG++/NM condition. Anyone else have this, comments appreciated.....

[​IMG]

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I wonder who make up Les Musiciens. I have a disc by them with the Mozart clarinet quintet and clarinet trio.

theron d likes this.
  5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Now onto LP #2 from the bunch I bought today. Beautiful sonics! Massive sounding!!! Not too bad for $0.50

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, John S and 8 others like this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing SACD1 from the following twofer, which arrived from across the pond a few days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  7. coopmv

This is an excellent recording played through the Luxman integrated and Harbeths ... :righton::agree:

8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Thank you. And the Technics 1200 KAB+Denon DL-110 cartridge compliments it very well too!

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Ludwig van Beethoven – The Early String Quartets - Op.18/1 — Takacs Quartet (Decca Music / BMG)
    [​IMG]

10. coopmv

Here is another outstanding and highly virtuosic performance provided by the Avison Ensemble. Th SQ is mighty good and crystal clear playing through my vintage audio system in the guestroom where the only modern equipment is my Yamaha universal player ...

11. coopmv

I am seriously considering about getting an integrated amp for my study as well. I have been on separates for years ...

theron d likes this.
  12. coopmv

Now playing CD3 of the Mozart Series - Symphonies Nos 40 & 41 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. coopmv

Phantasm is a lovely ensemble and I have enjoyed everyone of its recordings in my collection ...

14. EasterEverywhere

I bought a lot of 70s Philips,and only recently been getting around to playing many of them.I do agree,they sound great.

Daedalus and theron d like this.
  15. coopmv

Now playing CD18 - Bach Mass in B minor from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. coopmv

I just got back to LP listening a few months ago after a long hiatus. I doubt I will resume buying LP's since I already have some 4000 classical LP's, though my classical CD collection is now much bigger. Space is no doubt the primary consideration ...

theron d likes this.
  17. coopmv

Now playing CD19 - Conclusion of Bach Mass in B minor from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I was added on the FB group a few weeks ago, but so far am just looking & have been too lazy to post any of my LPs.

ToddBD likes this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think most people would consider a wall of quarter tones to be dissonant! I, too, find his music thrilling and would love to hear a large orchestral work in concert some day.

ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  20. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

21. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Introducing Missy Mazzoli and her chamber ensemble, Victoire. This piece really soars at the 1:35 mark!

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have a good amount of the old Philips LPs as well. Excellent sound/performances on all of them. Prompted me to get the Philips Sound box set on CD. Some duplicates for me there but most were new to me.

23. coopmv

I still would much prefer seeing the Philips logo than the Decca logo ... :righton:

Mik likes this.
  24. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Kind of reminds me of working on the Sony lot in Culver City. It WAS MGM, one of the great classic Hollywood lots. The only remaining evidence that it was MGM is this one overlooked manhole cover that has the old MGM logo on it. Such a lack of respect for history in the corporate world. Just because they bought it doesn't make it theirs to crap upon.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. EasterEverywhere

A big example being Warner and EMI.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.