Any love for Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart spawned from the Monkees?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I always liked this album though the timing may not have been the best. I don't think the album cover helped them. I also believe the album would have gotten to a stronger start if the sides were switched with side 2 becoming side 1. Moonfire would have made a more solid opening track than Right Now. Still, despite the DJBH gags that pepper the tracks, I always enjoy giving this a spin. I finally got around to ripping my vinyl and have been playing it in the car.

Hep Alien and Rubber Soul like this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I have the CD of this, but have only listened to it a few times: So few in fact that I can't say I really "know" any of the songs... Not saying it's not a worthwhile release, just that I'd listen to The Monkees proper more than this...

Pizza and starduster like this.
  3. Pizza

Of course the Monkees rule DJBH! Still, I'll take the DJBH album over those later Monkees reunion albums.

kwadguy, D-rock and Holy Diver like this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah. Great talent there.

Pizza likes this.
  5. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Huge Monkee fan here, but they couldve gotten better material. One GREAT song ("I Remember the Feeling") but the rest is meh.

bluejeanbaby and mjthomas001 like this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

How do you feel about their "live" album?

To me, it's so-so... Good, but not great, although I've read scathing reviews of it regarding anything from the performances themselves to the sound quality of the CD...

7. Pizza

I don't have the live album. I do regret not seeing them when the album came out. I was working at a college paper at the time and was invited to the show to do a review. I didn't have easy access to a car at the time and no one else I knew then liked the Monkees. :(

8. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I get a kick out of how many monkees-era names are involved with the album one way or another: Jerry Yester, Bill Martin, Louie Shelton, Liber/Stroller, Emil Richards, Chip Douglas, Henry Diltz.

Ten years later the monkees comeback single-- "That was then, this was now"-- would feature folks associated with monkees as solo artists: Paul Liem (Nez's drummer)
    Michael Llolyd (worked with Micky) and
    Laurence Juber (later to play on Peter's solo album-- Milkshake!)

Hep Alien, RobRoyF and Pizza like this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I like it...and I'm glad that I said it.

10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

No love from me, simply an attempt to cash in on the Monkees name (though Monkees isn't in the name). Maybe they should have gone out as the Monkees. These 4 guys were the soundtrack for those first couple of albums anyway.

11. cnath

cnath Senior Member

I was playing at Disneyland in the summer of 1976 - we had a good line up of name acts who would play on our stage ( it was over by the "It's a Small World" ride). D,J,B and H was one of the headliners - Got to meet Micky and Davy before their show ( they were actually standing offstage watching our set-) I remember wondering how Micky was going to play because his arm was in a sling - didn't realize they had a back up band..

I was a big Monkees fan so naturally this was a big day . Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to see if I can find any pics of the show!

Cnath

12. Pizza

I heard bad things about the CD that I didn't pick it up. I can't recall exactly what the issues were.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I can remember having my mom call the local record store to ask if they had it, and then being surprised when I found out they did.

I was super into the Monkees at the time so I was pretty psyched about getting it and I listened to it a lot, but now I really don't think it's very good.

Pizza likes this.
  14. Pizza

It was already dated when it first came out. But for me, that's part of its charm. But yeah, the decades haven't been kind. It certainly isn't the strongest material the various members have done.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. 9la

9la Forum Resident

On the DJB&H album, "You Didn't Feel That Way Last Night (Don't You Remember)" is a psychedelic rewrite of "I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone" (which was also written by B&H).

Mike Visco, D-rock and Pizza like this.
  16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have it on LP, but I'm still holding out for a good CD release.

Anyone know why the UK CD release is supposedly so awful?

17. TheLazenby

It was *supposed* to be credited to The Monkees - yes, with Boyce and Hart serving as Peter and Michael's replacements. But legal issues ended that idea.

Pizza likes this.
  18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A fun, upbeat album;experimental but very accessible. I like it a lot.

Hep Alien and Pizza like this.
  19. Pizza

I'm going by the Amazon reviews. It sounds like it's a vinyl rip. Most seem happy with it but a few don't like the sound.

20. TheLazenby

Hey, every needledrop I've heard from fans was terrible sounding, so it might be a nice change.

I seem to remember hearing that the interludes (the 'Dolphin Joke' and things) are missing from the CD, though - can anyone confirm that?

21. Pizza

I'm pretty happy with the sound of my needledrop. My vinyl copy is amazingly clean sounding.
    As for the funny bits/interludes, I made them their own separate tracks in case I ever make a playlist that uses any of the songs and I don't want the comedy routine attached with it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I found a copy of the orignial LP for cheap today in a record store. Haven't played it yet, but I thought I'd have a quick YouTube listen before I did. So I found this.......

What the hell have I gotten myself into!!! :eek:

23. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Sorry, but I think this album stinks.

This may be odd to say as a Monkees fan, but after one really hot streak from '65-'67 or so, I'm not much of a Boyce/Hart fan.

Forlornicus likes this.
  24. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

There are some real gems on those three A&M albums,which is why it's puzzling the DJB&H records are such duds.

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I enjoyed the album, and caught D,J,B & H when they hit the New York area, it was the first time I ever saw any of the Monkees in concert, and Boyce & Hart were terrific too. Former Raider Keith Alison was in the band and was the music director. The concerts I saw were exciting and fun. Years later I was able to pick up the live Japan LP and it captured the fun of the D,J,B & H shows. The studio album had some really good songs on it and had the feel of a Monkees album in the 70's, it's a shame that it didn't do well in the charts, I recall that even Rolling Stone gave it a decent review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.