Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #67)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of that newbie. Kuusisto is always a pleasure to listen to.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Hey! He's got a clarinet concerto! Have to check that out.

3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

This very same advice was also given to me in one of the previous Classical threads when I began asking about opera. It was advice well received. For some reason or another, Sunday mornings/afternoons have become 'Sunday's With The Arts' for me. Today I FINALLY opened my DVD of The Marriage Of Figaro and I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying it so far! I can see the logic of 'seeing' the opera before listening to a recording of it. I will be able to 'see' the action in my mind when I listen to an opera after viewing it. It will definitely increase my enjoyment. Thank you and all here for your wonderful advice! If you will excuse me, I must return to my viewing of Le nozze di Figaro. :)

image.jpg

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  4. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

5th quartet playing. Can Shostakovich be beautiful? Yes, it can. Without losing the drama.

[​IMG]

My first encounter with the Shostakovich string quartets was in the eighties, with the Borodin Quartet, as I've already revealed. (Everlasting experience, somewhat as mind-bending as had been Ligeti's orchestral works, Sravinsky's "Rite" and Mahler.) I was quite sceptical with the Mandelring Q's Shostakovich, considering their fame of tonal purity and homogeneous sound. But it (the quartet) have turned out to be quite remarkable also on Shostakovich (they've recorded recently the whole Mendelssohn string quartet output, too, and Janacek's quartet's, with very fine results). Few days ago one critic praised one young contemporary string quartet - a recording of Doric SQ, actually: that it pretty much blew away all the older recordings with the supreme playing and fine quartet sound. That just prompted me to study the home library for contemporary quartets. I do like St. Petersburg SQ along with a half-generation older Hagen Quartett. But it's this weekend's listening to the Mandelring Q's Shostakovich that proved to me it to be an all-around quartet, not only a fine player of romantic repertoire.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have that set and enjoy it, too. They are slightly less abrasive than the Borodin SQ, but Audite provides better sound. I don't know if the Prazak SQ is planning a complete cycle, but I thoroughly enjoy the two discs that I have purchased:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik, jukes and bluemooze like this.
  6. john greenwood

Figaro is such a beautifully constructed work.

Hawkman likes this.
  7. john greenwood

The clarinet concerto is eminently accessible. It kept calling to mind the Stravinsky of Petrushka and Sacre with a taste of Debussy and (of course) Gershwin for the bluesy clarinet passages with the glissandos. I didn't care for the clarinet solo in the third movement, though - found it boring. But otherwise most enjoyable.

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Exactly, what the hell was WarnerMusic when it came to classical music? EMI would have been better off going with either UMG or Sony ...

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It wasn't EMI's choice. In order to get the EU Commission's approval to acquire EMI Universal had to sell parts of that company, that's why they sold EMI Classics, Virgin and Parlophone (except the Beatles' catalogue) to Warner Music. EMI - or what was left of it - had no say in it.

10. coopmv

I am too aware of how the government bureaucrats know best ... :sigh:

11. coopmv

Now playing SACD2 from the following twofer, which arrived from across the pond a few days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. coopmv

How is the SACD by Audite?

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, I don't think that's a fair comment. The European Commission did this to prevent Universal from becoming too powerful and dominant on the European market, which could have had a bad effect on the competition and could ultimately have driven them (the competition) out of the market. The music would have been the victim in this case.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    jukes likes this.
  14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Their entire Corelli series is wonderful--I have all of them.

J.A.W. likes this.
  15. coopmv

The same here ... :agree:

16. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Bach Sonate a Flauto, Violino E Basso from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  17. John S

John S Forum Resident

This afternoon:
    Richard Strauss
    Metamorphosen
    Tod und Verklärung

Berlin Philharmoniker
    Herbert von Karajan

[​IMG]

Karajan's supernatural strings serves the music well I think.

Mik, bluemooze, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Avisons, collectively and in their solo recordings, seem to emphasize lyricism over drama, which isn't always a bad thing!

19. coopmv

Now playing CD20, the last CD - Mozaet Coronation Mass, etc. from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Drama often means exaggeration and not necessarily HIP as advertised ... :agree:

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

How do "scholars" know about the level of intensity/drama that they used back then? THEY DON'T!

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

23. coopmv

Now playing CD10 - Brahms Symphonies Nos 1 & 2 Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  24. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing…a really clean six-eye mono…
    [​IMG]

25. coopmv

I found the performances of the Freiburger Barockorchester too showman-like and question their authenticity. While I do have a few of their recordings and a DVD, they are not my go-to pieces ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.