Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 67 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!
    :wave:

moops, MikaelaArsenault and DLant like this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

RRB - I have the Mozart/Schubert SACD, so I am not asking for it, but I'm not certain I understand your problem with it.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have a big collection and I have been trying to get it organized. I somehow wound up with two copies. I will keep one copy since I like the recording and performance.

4. George P

I think it has the same mastering as my WG fatboy set. I have read that the newer "Orginals" CD sounds better, but I have my doubts.

5. Rose River Bear

[​IMG]
    Gone to a good home.

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  6. john greenwood

Gotcha. And my congrats to whomever won it.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You are far ahead of the game when it comes to sorting out the duplicates ... :righton:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  8. George P

Correct! I hear his latest recording is even better, but I don't have the money for CDs right now (or perhaps anymore.)

9. john greenwood

[​IMG]
    Haven't listened to this one in a while.

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The often neglected Symphony number 4 from disc 3 of this set.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  11. coopmv

I should also check out the newer version. I bought this version a few months ago ...

12. john greenwood

Ouch! :(

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just placed an order for these two sacds

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Someone was selling these on the classifieds for $12 each but I missed out. I 've heard that sound quality is great so I am looking forward to listening to them soon.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. coopmv

Is this the lastest version?

[​IMG]

Looka like that may be the third version he recorded?

15. Rose River Bear

That is a fine disc. I have this one too.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone else like this one?

Mik likes this.
  16. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

17. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

coopmv: "How is the SACD by Audite?"

I have some 10 Audite hybrids. Never bothered to really compare the sound to other chamber hybrids (Harmonia Mundi, Pentatone, Praga, or comparable 24-bit downloads), but these Audites are very much right on spot to my taste: fluent, balanced sonics that don't scream on my face; the instruments sound convincingly as 'real' etc. but not too bright (of course, modern violin can sound terribly harsh in small environment like home). And all that already on redbook (I have some rips and 16-bit downloads that I won't 'ostracize').

( http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/classical-music-corner-thread-67.416213/page-39#post-12033080 )

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It was my introduction to Poulenc and I love it.

Mik and Rose River Bear like this.
  19. john greenwood

I think I was on the verge of getting booted out of my co-op as I tried (over and over) to master some of the faster passages of the clarinet sonata.

Mik and George P like this.
  20. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the disc player...some of my favorite music for wind band. For Hilst fans out there, Hammersmih is not exactly a well known work, but it deserves to be.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, John S and vanhooserd like this.
  21. coopmv

Audite released a combo of SACD's - some from older recordings and other from recent recordings. On balance, it has done a good job IMO ...

22. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I grabbed the Bruckner The Symphonies (Phillips/Haitnk) Box mentioned earlier in this thread off a reputable seller on the amazon marketplace. I had no idea the box was so small I imagined it as one of the bigger classical boxes. Can anyone who owns this box tell me if the cd sleeves are simple paper/plastic CDr type sleeves of if the sleeves had unique art on mini lp cardboard jackets?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  23. john greenwood

Don't know for sure, but most of the UME sets focussing on a set of symphonies, piano sonatas by a particular composer and performing artist (e.g. my Arrau Beethoven Sonatas or Pinnock Mozart Symphonies) came with minimal packaging. Usually a small booklet, no original cover art, and paper or thin cardboard sleeves.

On the other hand if you were picking up the complete set of works by a performer (examples I have are DG boxes of Argerich and Richter) you are likely to get original jacket packaging.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the 1994 Philips (1 l :)) box and it has paper sleeves (no plastic and no original cover art) and a CD-sized 60-page booklet.

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My box has a 2005 copyright and has poly-lined paper sleeves and probably the same book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.