George, Paul and Ringo jamming in 1995 video footage- Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

heh heh!!

:unhunh:

(however I am enjoying the discussion Dr. Beatle! so thanks!)

DrBeatle likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You are completely correct; it is no wonder that Paul couldn't remember how to play All Things Must Pass when he recently said that when he looks at his 70's albums, there are many songs titles that he doesn't recognise.

fatoldsun, Moonbeam Skies and chacha like this.
  3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

George looks real happy there......................NOT!

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

What, just like John, and most other 'celebrities' as well?

It is perfectly normal and reasonable to be considered when you are being filmed. Who wants to look like an idiot on camera, when the footage is going to be shown around the world?

Paul wants to maintain a certain imagine, but so did John.

5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

George does seem to get a little annoyed when Paul pushes them to play "Blue Moon of Kentucky." He relents to playing the song, but says "just a short version" which is kind of funny for a song that barely tops out around 2 minutes (the Elvis version, at least, which they are imitating). Having said that, it's really hard to create chemistry during a "jam session" of three musicians who haven't played together in years (decades even), especially with cameras in their faces... expecting magic to occur.

Plus, I recall Ringo having his own moments during the Anthology where it seemed like he wanted to be elsewhere. In the session filmed outside, he repeatedly checks his watch while Paul and George are talking and playing, then announces he has somewhere else to be...as if he had more important stuff to do than to film the Beatles Anthology.

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sure, no doubt Paul has forgotten many of his own songs -- he's written or co-written several hundred of them! -- but that wasn't my whole point. My point was about how George and Paul related to each other, and how George remembered a Beatle tune he hadn't even played on ("I Will"), whereas Paul didn't remember a George song he HAD played several times ("All Things Must Pass").

telepicker97 likes this.
  7. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Sometimes people ask me why I'm so unhappy when I am quite fine. I guess I don't smile enough to please them. Ever notice how some singers can smile while they're singing a song? I can't hardly smile while I'm talking even if I try. I'm just not made that way and therefore sometimes people think I'm unusual or grumpy. I suspect George was just fine jamming with his old pals, it's not like anyone was holding a gun to his head.
    Sorry but I don't care for people jumping to a conclusion about what George was thinking when he's no longer here to speak for himself.:hide:

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really? I don't remember that. I just remember the bit when he says how much he loves and misses hanging out with those guys.

theMess likes this.
  9. chacha

I wouldn't be surprised if George had played I Will earlier but Paul ended up doing it it all himself for the record.

telepicker97 and JimC like this.
  10. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I Will isn't really solo, John & Ringo provide percussion.

chacha likes this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

You're completely missing my point, but that's OK -- it's hardly worth quarreling over. It was two points, really -- (1) That George remembered more of his Beatles days (fondly) than people sometimes give him credit for, and (2) Paul was often tone-deaf and dismissive of George, even while consciously trying to be supportive.

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I've read for years though that there is an alternate version of the Anthology full of outtakes and unguarded moments where George is quite catty about how things went down. True?

The one thing I remember about the jam session was Paul kept pushing to do another song and George clearly didn't want to. He looked a lot happier when he was doodling on his uke later on.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Where did you read about that alternate version of Anthology? .

Does anyone remember the additional footage of George and Paul doing the Beatles reunion harmonies, on the Scorsese documentary. Anybody have that clip.

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

15. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I am to understand that initially he resisted this project entirely and only agreed to become involved when his finances became critical. I'm sure that this could account for much of the perceived resistance seen. Other than that, I would agree with the statement made above. George could be a very moody individual.

I have admit though, he seemed pleasant enough throughout the section of Abbey Road footage. His comment about Paul, "he was very keen"... was priceless. Listening to him reminisce with Ringo about his car and Johnny Such was quite enjoyable as well. He clearly seems most at ease when interacting with Ringo.

Regarding the jam session, I too have read about some pretty intense drama that took place that day, beforehand. George seemed to enjoy himself, as much as George ever displays, until "Bluemoon". In his defense though, he had taken his guitar off, presumably because they were finished when Paul snuck another one in.
    Hence the "short version" comment.

Boris number 9 likes this.
  16. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

fatoldsun, Boris number 9 and theMess like this.
  17. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

There is something referred to as the "Director's Cut" that contains a fair amount of dialog that was cut. Much involved his assesment of Yoko's arrival on the scene. He was quite frank, and presumably had some truth to it. Whether or not it could be considered catty is probably a subject of a separate thread entirely. Personally, I liked hearing his perspective and wished that they had left it in.

theMess likes this.
  18. chacha

I fully understand all your points - there is no quarrel :)

Sean Murdock likes this.
  19. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Exactly and as usual Paul can't resist showing off, making faces and trying to be the center of attention. George must have thought 25 years later and he's still a wanker.

20. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I don't agree. Paul was always happy to be a Beatle and even though this was a 3/4 reunion, he couldn't hide his enthusiasm.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Heaven forbid someone act like a performer when in front of a camera performing.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

So being happy and enthusiastic makes you a w*nker?

23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

George is by far my favorite interview in the Anthology. But it is clear he was not liking the "Jam Session".

I am not so quick to say it was because he could not stand to play with Paul. Who knows?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Yes, there is a bootleg DVD set of Anthology outtakes and full cuts.

25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

He might have been hungry, he might have been tired, he might have been annoyed by the cameras ... but why would all those factors not manifest themselves equally in his demeanor towards both of his bandmates?

DrBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.