1950s Capitol Records D and N vinyl Stampers: What's the Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

My *guess* would be from tapes over there on the 1N...

3. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Can't get the quotes to work! :cry:
    The Wagner LP looks like a Scranton pressing. The weird typeface 'Stereo' is printed in is a clue.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

^Hit "Reply" under the post you want to quote, not "Quote". Should work...

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Not quite as extreme as the D66 cut, but in the ballpark!
    D57.jpg
    UK pressing from US parts?
    D57Label.jpg
    I went ahead and bought this LP when I spotted it earlier today, but haven't played it yet.

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting...looks like cut in LA, with other metalwork done in the UK (?).

7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Weird? That's Ludlow Tempo Heavy. But they indeed are Scranton - and not just based on the label fonts from Keystone Printed Specialties, but also the stamped type in the deadwax that spelled out the lacquer numbers.

8. W.B.

What's the pitch of the lead-in - 15 or 32?

9. MLutthans

32....and a whole lot of dust on my scanner glass!
    LeadInD57.jpg

10. W.B.

Then it must've been cut before 1960 - and if a Hollywood cut, the metal part used in England lasted quite a long time to be used for 1969-era lime green label pressings. (The way the catch groove was spaced and cut also was a clue of Hollywood origin.)

11. Steve Hoffman

Wait, a pre=1960 lacquer with #57 on it? Did they drop 56 of them or something?

12. MLutthans

Yeah, there's something not lining up with that. I fully trust the D57 number -- no problem there. I've got a USA pressing from the 1970s that's up to 69, and the album was always a big seller, but I don't see any way that a pre-1960 lacquer has a number that high. My circa 1959 pressing (9:00 logo, vertical "High Fidelity" text, pre-"spires") is D11 already, and my circa 1963 (very early 12:00 logo - maybe '62???) is up to 21.

13. Steve Hoffman

See, if this was the MONO version, maybe, but the stereo? No way, unless they blew cutting on 50 lacquers or something. Makes no sense whatsoever. Each metal master can make any number of mothers, and mothers stampers. No reason to go that high, especially for a stereo issue that was first released in 1958.. That's 57 lacquers in two years? Just not possible.

MLutthans likes this.
  14. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Are we so certain that these codes mean lacquer numbers and not MOTHER or STAMPER numbers? That could account for the issues coming up in this thread. Like Steve says, it seems odd to screw up that many lacquers in only two years to have the jump.

15. Steve Hoffman

Can't stamp a number in metal (I mean you can, but they never did it like that). The numbers were stamped in the soft lacquer.

16. MLutthans

It's not on this UK LP under discussion, but at what phase in the production process was the MASTERED BY CAPITOL "stamp" added? Isn't that raised upward (as opposed to etched downward)?

17. Steve Hoffman

Added during lacquer cutting.

18. MLutthans

That's what I figured. So, how does it wind up being ridged, not etched? (I'm probably just missing something really obvious. I feel stupid even asking.) Or does it just LOOK ridged?

19. Steve Hoffman

I guess they could have stamped the metal with that but I never checked the ridges (leaves fingerprints).

20. W.B.

I can concur: how the stamp was affixed to the lacquer differed significantly between Hollywood (A/B, F, H/J) and New York (R, W/X) cuts. (And yes, the MASTERED BY CAPITOL was on the last year or so of lacquers cut East.) Same way the stamped characters on Columbia LP and 45 lacquers were put on. And so forth.

The thing is this: Around late 1960/early 1961, Capitol's Hollywood studios switched their LP lacquer cutting MO so that instead of a 32-pitch lead-in, they cut with a 15-pitch lead-in. This was around the same time they switched lead-in cutting on 45's from 8 pitch to 15 pitch. New York followed by mid-1961. (Don't forget, the future F/G mono setup was cutting 1/8" eccentric grooves as late as the end of 1960.)

What lead-in pitch is on your D21 - 32 or 15?

21. W.B.

The 360 embossed ridges were part of the mold coining, and added while the stamper was being prepared for pressing records.

22. MLutthans

I checked my D21. It's actually a W21, so....a Waddell contract pressing, no?

That said, I've got several pressings of this album.

Here again is the UK LP that is under discussion, a D57, assumedly cut in the US and pressed in the UK:
    [​IMG]
    The lines on the ruler are 1/32nd of an inch. Here, again, is the lead-in groove on that UK D57, showing 32 lines per inch:
    Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 12.00.50 AM.png

I've got a few 1970s USA cuts of the same album, but here's one (below) that's especially interesting (in terms of this lead-in minutiae). It's a yellow label pressing, and those were produced from, what....1973-79, give or take???? One side is a G67 cut, and clearly uses 15 lines per inch:
    OTL G67Yellow.jpg

The other side of the same LP is an F50, and has 32 spacing:
    OTL F50Yellow.jpg

Other USA stereo cuts I have for this title:
    J47 = 15 LPI (Yellow label)
    J62 = 15 LPI (Yellow label)

H6#2 = 15 LPI (orange-ish/reddish label; same era, but with a change in catalog number, so it appears they re-started the cut count)
    F4 = 32 (flip side of same orange-ish, etc.)

H69 = 15 (same era, same reddish label, but with earlier/original 1053 catalog number)
    G5 = 15 (flip side of same album; apparently with the restarted cut sequence????)

H1 on both sides = 15 (1969 Record Club release, #ST-8-1053, pressed at Decca, but apparently cut at Capitol)

D11 = 32 (circa 1958/59 rainbow "text" label)
    D14 = 32 (flip side)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Simon A likes this.
  23. MLutthans

Hang on!

I just realized that I only checked side two of that UK LP, the D57 copy that had the 32 LPI lead-in. Side one is a D43 cut, and is cut at 15, so....

UK D43 side one:
    Side 1 UK D43.jpg

UK D57 side two:
    [​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  24. W.B.

No . . . a New York cut made after 1963, on the master stereo Scully 601 lathe. But yeah, this record was in print for so many years that this whole cutting trajectory could only be deemed - as Our Host would call it - "wacky."

McLover likes this.
  25. MLutthans

@W.B. --

I see we've actually already posted about that very pressing in another thread:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.