So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Juggsnelson

Paul Davis-I Go Crazy PROMO
    His first top ten hit in the USA peaking at #7 in 1977. This song certainly sounds of its time but I have always liked the melody quite a bit. The coda features some nice guitar and synth noodling.
    [​IMG]

3. Juggsnelson

Paul Davis-Sweet Life/I Go Crazy
    Part of Bang Records "Golden Oldies" series.
    "Sweet Life" is very similar (though not as good) to another big hit of his, "Cool Night" from 1981. Especially the chorus. I often get them confused when singing them in my head. The lyrics here are a little hokey for sure but Davis had a gift for delivering these lines with sincerity.
    [​IMG]

4. Juggsnelson

Paul Davis-Cool Night/One More Time For the Lonely
    This hit #11 in the USA in 1981 and I'm kind of shocked it didn't chart higher.....this was on all the time where I lived! I really like it....an unexpected, fairly busy bass line too!
    "One More Time For the Lonely" is not bad but not overly memorable either. Its easy to see how he switched gears to country a couple years later.
    [​IMG]

ampmods, Rick H. and Surly like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Paul Davis-'65 Love Affair
    Amazing how many do not know this song by just the title....then you play it for them and you get that "Oh Yeah" look on their faces! A cool, throwback to the 60's song...kind of what Eric Carmen did with "Make Me Lose Control". How can you not have a smile on your face when listening to this? Those deep vocal "Yeeeaaaahhhs" are enough all by themselves! Alright...rhyming "Dumb Dumb" with "Pom Poms" is a bit of a stretch...and it does feature Cheerleader background vocals.....and yet it still is awesome!
    [​IMG]

Arkoffs, thematinggame, team2 and 5 others like this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

....and so it continues!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Why wouldn't it continue? Haven't made it to ZZ Top. The only question is whether I will be in the nursing home first.

8. Juggsnelson

The beginning of the alphabet houses a number of big artists....we will cruise through E-K at a much faster pace!

9. Juggsnelson

Tyrone Davis-Can I Change My Mind?
    Tyrone cut some great records....including this one! A forgotten #5 pop hit for sure....although not in this house! Tyrone gets plenty of play around here!
    [​IMG]

BlairH, Arkoffs, WMTC and 5 others like this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Great news. Internet connections can be troublesome in the nursing home. Plus they might forbid sites causing too much excitement for a resident. Vinyl does do that to me. At least in the form of records. Vinyl siding though is meh.

BlairH, WMTC, Gardo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Hope you get a wireless connection.....don't want someone pulling the wrong plug! Taking a look at my 45 shelves, about 25% of my collection cover the letters A-D, so we are making some headway!

Mr Bass likes this.
  12. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Interesting how certain letters contain a ton of artists while others have very few. I mean, it's obvious you won't have much in letters like "Q" or "Z" (as opposed to "A" or "S"), but when looking at my collection, I'm quite shocked at how some letters are represented. I mentioned before that I am finishing up the letter "P" in my iTunes listening project. I just have to listen to Pavement and the Certifiable live album by The Police, and then that letter will be done. But, I really have a lot of stuff in "P," like Prince and Psychedelic Furs and Pet Shop Boys and Pretenders! I had already listened to all my Pretenders and PSB before I started this project a year ago, but I had about 500 songs left to tackle in "P," and I've finished that up over the course of about 3 weeks. I expected that from "M" or "B" but certainly not "P!"

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I want a new thread called " I Looked At Every 45 In Juggsnelson's Collection". :laugh:

chacha, ODShowtime, Fullbug and 8 others like this.
  14. Juggsnelson

Great artists in the letter "P"! You must have had a great time listening to that stuff. Just took a look at my 45's and "P" is one of the larger collections...surprising for sure! Bessies those artists you mentioned, of whom I own a ton of 45's, I also have a bunch of Pearl Jam, Petty and Graham Parker. "Q" has a ton of Queen 45's and not much else.

Surly likes this.
  15. Juggsnelson

What amazes me is that I actually cleaned every 45 in my collection!!

16. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Yeah, I definitely played some Pearl Jam recently, too. I also played some Graham Parker today because I found a cheap used copy of the best of his RCA years over the weekend; I tackled the rest of his stuff a while ago because I never took the time to go into iTunes and re-categorize all solo artists by last name (iTunes automatically puts them by first name). I'm normally such a stickler over those things, but in this case, I just couldn't be bothered. Other recent fun stuff played in the past couple weeks include Paul Collins' Beat, Payolas (I love them and wish someone would issue their albums on CD already; only compilations are available), Pere Ubu (hometown boys), Pixies, Plimsouls, Pogues, Public Image Ltd, and The Pursuit of Happiness.

I'll finish "Q" in a day - just some random tracks from Quarterflash and Queen (Q-Feel has already been played). Then over 500 tracks to finish up "R"! :eek: But, looking forward to hearing some R.E.M., Rainmakers, Raspberries (also hometown boys!), and Romeo Void.

But enough about me...let's see some more of your 45s!!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. Juggsnelson

That puts you in limited (but very appreciated) company!!!!:)

18. Juggsnelson

Such great stuff there....it makes me want to hop all over the alphabet and get to some of that stuff already! Paul Collins' Beat is great, great stuff although I think I only have LP's...no 45's. Same with Payolas. Really looking forward to spinning all of those great Prince B-Sides although I usually play the extended 12" versions. More 45's to come later tonight!

Surly likes this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

How did Roulette get the Brunswick catalog? Anyway, my favorite Tyrone Davis song is "Turning Point".

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have no idea how you cleaned every 45 when I am having a terrible time just getting mine in alpha order. I have around 38 boxes full, more than a few are only picture sleeves though, but I am still overwhelmed. I bought dozens of cardboard dividers from Bags Unlimited and printed out artists names for many but it's just too much. I need to sell more of my copious amounts of extra copies of some artists to get a handle on it.

Pat

aoxomoxoa and Juggsnelson like this.
  21. Juggsnelson

I cleaned all of them while either listening to LP's or watching/listening to sports on the TV. As I cleaned them I also selected my best copies to keep on the shelf and weeded out doubles and garbage copies. I still need to make those dividers for individual artists but I made dividers for each letter. Tedious work no doubt but great when it is all done! Unfortunately only 25% of my LP's are cleaned and properly resleeved.....The joys of record collecting!

team2 likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Don't recall "Turning Point"....I will check it out! I could really use a good Tyrone comp.

23. Juggsnelson

Tyrone Davis-Turn Back the Hands of Time/I Keep Coming Back
    I think this is a cool company sleeve...the only one I have like it.
    His biggest pop hit reaching #3. You know this is going to be great right from the open. The horns cascading over the very funk-brothers-ish riffing is impossible to ignore. Tyrone's strength here is that he doesn't over sing it....he knows he doesn't have to with a melody as great as this one.
    "I Keep Coming Back" calls for Davis to bring a little more soul to the occasion and he complies in spades. Some great cries of anguish set against some hushed musings of a love gone away on this one.
    [​IMG]

24. Juggsnelson

Tyrone Davis-It's All in the Game/Where Lovers Meet
    Not a bad cover of the Tommy Edwards hit but not the gut wrenching version I was hoping for either.
    [​IMG]

25. Juggsnelson

Dawn-Candida/Look At
    A lot of folks file these tunes under Tony Orlando but I file them under Dawn since that was the initial labeling of the group.
    Man those early Dawn singles go down easy huh? Orlando's smooth as silk' voice, great background vocals and some mariachi inspired horns were sure a recipe for success. I admit I get excited when one of these comes on in the grocery store....no shame!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.