The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

In hoping this gets announced soon as a result of the fantastic sales of the "The Monkees" (Debut) box set, it might be nice to discuss our hopes for this box. It's interesting to think what possible recordings may turn up and the order they'll be presented. This post may be changed/edited with an announcement of the box set.

marmalade and WLL like this.
  2. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I would like to see the New York sessions from early 1967 put on here. Those songs feel more at home on More of the Monkees. The Monkees are still used as vocalists only with session musicians playing all the instruments, just like the first two albums.

marmalade, fortherecord and Hep Alien like this.
  3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Already preordered! ;)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Whatever is available of multitracks should have remixes. The "Stereo" mixes of a lot of these tracks is a joke. The Mary,Mary session for the benefit of Life magazine,with Mike telling Davy/Peter/Micky to cool it. The I Don't Think You Know Me At All version with Peter and Davy sharing lead vocals. Whatever's Right backing Track, Session tapes of whatever is available (Look Out,Here Comes Tomorrow/Mary,Mary/I'm A Believer for sure). Alt versions and backing tracks, perhaps some live tracks from the Phoenix 1967 show that was recorded for the TV show. TV Mixes of MOTM tracks.

...and every bit of The Day We Fall In Love sessions!!:yikes:

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I'm with you on that. Well, most of it.:D

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  6. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

As posted elsewhere, I would go with the NY backing tracks on MOTM and the Phoenix concert on HQ Super Deluxe. The chronology gets somewhat hit or miss, but I think it makes more sense to have the non-Monkees-perfomed backing tracks on MOTM. I like the idea of Kirshner's last shot across the bow associated with his haphazard brainchild.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I was of that mindset,Magnetic Northpaw, but then I realized that there is a lot of stuff from the MOTM sessions proper that needs to be on this set, and I don't think that having the NY sessions will allow MOTM to be all that it can be.
    As much as a lot of you folks want the HQ super deluxe to be,basically, a HQ Sessions re-issue, I don't think that Rhino or Andrew will do that. And for that reason, I think that the NY Sessions (including the Denny Randall produced sessions) will be on HQ super deluxe. Rhino is still releasing HQ Sessions as a digital download. Has Rhino ever reissued a set that was a limited edition that were individually numbered ? If not, don't count on HQ super deluxe having all of the HQ Sessions tracks on it. I do believe it will have some HQ Sessions tracks, but mostly other takes will be included, IMO (not what most here want, but I think that is what will happen).

8. Remixes where ever possible. Give the boys some bottom end! Mastering can be loud if it has to be, but not bright (please). And inclusion of Nez's vocal for I Don't Think You Know Me and Mono/Stereo remaster of the Missing Links Vol 1 mix of Of You. I'm not overly picky with the sets at this point as I basically got what I wanted from the Instant Replay set and as fans we hit the jackpot with the BBM set.

9. Sportzfan

Sportzfan New Member

My hope is for a really good sessions disc. Those are the best parts of these boxed sets.

Hep Alien, Hutch and BenB5150 like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm thinking we prob won't see this till years end or nxt year for the 50th.

11. Why is that? They need something tide us over until next year when they can sell us either HQ & PAC&JL.

Galley likes this.
  12. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

I read/heard that surround remixes were made of "More of" a few years back but was canceled.

So maybe we'll see them w/ the next set and maybe on DVD-A?!?

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Wouldn't that take a dedicated disc (disc 3) and leave less unreleased material?

14. Eobard Thawne

They can throw more unreleased material on the DVD-A or have those surround mixes as the actual bonus material on one of the discs or
    it could be the 3rd disc itself on CD (w/ more new old material?).

I think it was on the Hoffman boards here actually and w/ Andrew's last Q & A around 2006 or so. He's long overdue for another one!

15. readr

readr Forum Resident

No thanks. Stereo remixes, yes, but surround sound of the Laugh master does not interest me. A stereo remix of Laugh is far more interesting. I have no use for those oddball digital reproductions, like the HEAD surround mix, or TV versions in surround sound. There's going to be so much session stuff from MOTM, I'd prefer to leave the 5.1 off. If Andrew can find a solid 3 discs for Instant Replay, he can find a solid 3 discs for More Of.

cwitt1980 and D-rock like this.
  16. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Pre-order cancelled!

17. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Yep:
    [​IMG]

18. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Can't wait. Have been really happy with all of the deluxe editions since BB&M, and don't expect Sandoval to drop the ball with his stellar track record.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Eobard Thawne

20. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Yes, "More" this year, and "Headquarters" and "Pisces, Aqaurius..." next year. Of course, all three have their 50th anniversary in 2017.

D-rock likes this.
  21. Eobard Thawne

We should have all 3 next year for the 50th anniversary! Knowing Rhino though, the last 2 probably won't be out till 2017.

D-rock likes this.
  22. I thought Rhino lost the rights this year.

23. Eobard Thawne

Rhino owns the catalog, unless that changed.

24. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

At the bottom of the booklet (p.15) in the latest Monkees Super Deluxe box it says "To Be Continued". Let's hope that it happens.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  25. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

unless Rhino loses money on the 1st album deluxe (and they won't, as it's almost sold out), there will be more sets. The thing is, Andrew has already mapped out the remaining sets (he has as much as said so), so the time from Rhino saying go, to Andrew putting the set together could be quite short. It is just a matter of time, Rhino will give the order to continue, and MOTM Deluxe will be a reality.