Shout Factory Working on a Complete-Series "WKRP in Cincinnati"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just caught TURKEYS AWAY on AntennaTV. This version was the season 4 rerun, when Gary Sandy opened the show, out of character, with this announcement:
    "Hi! I'm Gary Sandy. You know, of all the shows we've done on WKRP in the first three seasons, not one show ever generated the amount of mail, the amount of interest, as a show we did our very first season. It was called "Turkeys Away". So we kinda thought you might like to see it again. It's about Thanksgiving... so naturally we've chosen the Christmas season to show it. Happy Holidays. Drums, please."

....and yes, Pink Floyd was played.

Simon A, Mark Nelson, wayne66 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Yep, just caught 'Turkeys Away' myself, and loved hearing the 'dogs' bit with Carlson.

And 'The Contest' played just before the Turkey episode, in its original format, with Johnny trying to repay the $5,000, and then getting the money back, and also asking for his $12.50.

Scowl, wayne66 and musicalbeds like this.
  3. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Damn, 'Turkeys Away" aired last night? I passed out during the 10:30 episode.

BTW, Antenna TV has 3 hours of WKRP scheduled for Sunday nights for the foreseeable future.

musicalbeds likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Too bad this intro couldn't be a part of the DVD extras.

Simon A, Vidiot and musicalbeds like this.
  5. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Has anyone bought the Shout version of the complete series? Has the show stood up when watched at a later age? I remember watching it a lot when I was younger and am wondering if I would still like it. I took a chance with the show Soap and enjoyed that. This is the next one I'm thinking about.

polchik likes this.
  6. I bought it and enjoyed watching each episode. Highly recommended.

Simon A, SonicZone, polchik and 2 others like this.
  7. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I still think it's a top show. Not a weak link in the cast and superb writing. Rip Tide, Venus and Andy's sister, Jennifer and Hoyt Axton, coke foot powder, Tarlek family on reality TV, anytime they drank (Momma, Andy, Jennifer, Venus, Johnny), radio consultant, etc.......

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I watched the whole series when it came out and thought it was just as good as I remember. Great to watch it with most of the original music intact. Watching some of the edited episodes in syndication was not as enjoyable at all. Two exceptions: "Turkeys Away" has the Pink Floyd music intact on syndication for some reason, and "The Contest No One Could Win" - the episode on the Shout set is apparently the original, but the one I remember seeing on TV is much better.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Bought it, loved it all over again.

10. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Definitely worth purchasing, especially if it's on any sort of sale from the MSRP.

11. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

DO IT.

12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Found out there was a show called The New WKRP that ran for two seasons in the early 90's. I'd never known about it. Has anyone seen that?

13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Yes, and even though they had a number of the original actors in it, I felt that the writing was not particularly good. Certainly not to the standard of the original show.

longdist01, Dudley Morris and Shawn like this.
  14. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

Such a great group of actors on this show. Though out of the entire cast, a solid half of them mostly disappeared from high-profile work.

Frank Bonner moved into TV directing, Richard Sanders had a few tiny roles here and there, Gary Sandy I think did a bunch of theater work and also popped up in a nice, small role as an oily tobacco company attorney in Michael Mann’s The Insider, and Jan Smithers mostly vanished (but by all accounts seems to be living a fine life just doing her thing.)

the other half: Howard Hesseman, Tim Reid, and Loni Anderson all had a lot of high profile work after the show. Gordon Jump had his Maytag Repairman era, and a few other roles as well.

The show has aged pretty well and I think ultimately the good-natured appeal of the tone kinda offsets a lot of the material that might play weird today.

15. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Bought the whole series and watched it, Enjoyed it very much

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The New WKRP suffered from the same structural problem as AfterMASH... the actors who agreed to come back as series regulars played supporting characters, none of whom were strong enough around which to center a series. To some degree it gave the series verisimilitude, since it was realistic that Mr. Carlsen, Herb, and Les would still be stuck at WKRP ten years later, while the other characters were intelligent and talented enough to have moved on to bigger and better things. But the three characters who returned were not particularly likeable (by design) or charismatic. As with AfterMASH, new characters were created to fill the gap but they largely came across as pale shadows of the old character: Mykelti Williamson played what was essentially a rewrite of the Andy Travis character, while Tawny Kitaen played a DJ who was sort of a cross between Venus Flytrap and Jennifer Marlowe. The other new characters were forgettable enough that I can't remember them off the top of my head. Howard Hesseman made a few appearances (I see from wiki that he showed up nine times over two seasons) and my recollection is that his episodes were some of the better ones. If he'd agreed to be a regular cast member the series might have stood a better chance. The writing wasn't terrible, but it lacked the bite of the original series. Bill Dial, one of the main original writers, was heavily involved, but Hugh Wilson, the creator and showrunner of the original series, was not.

17. I see a lot of these DVD sets at really good prices on eBay (around $30-$35). As always if it seems to be too good to be true it probably is, but wondering if anyone has bought a set via eBay and if the set was legit/not counterfeit?

18. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Wasn't the greatest, but tt did lead to a funny promo when it aired on VH1.....

Simon A, maclen and Oatsdad like this.
  19. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I thought the only funny episodes were the ones where original characters returned. Also, it was an interesting twist to have the buxom and beautiful blonde reception be chasing after Herb instead of the other way around.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve got the set, but have never watched it...:hide:

But what I find amazing is going back just one page in the thread and reading about people buying the set at Costco. My how things have changed...

Mister Charlie likes this.
  21. MLutthans

I see that the Decades Channel is running a marathon of this today honoring Howard Hesseman.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  22. MLutthans

Season 2, Episode 13

"God Talks to Johnny"

Just me, or does the DJ studio have different equipment than in most of the episodes?

23. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

I miss Bailey. Barbara Eden and Jan Smithers were the two most beautiful girls in the history of television.

g.z. and Christobal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.