What if the Beach Boys had played Monterey?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayistaGeoff, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Here we go! Just in time for the weekend.
    Time to go play Everyone's in Love With You and Sumahama.
    They really tend to relax me after a rough week.

2. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

:laughup:

3. That's just plain silly. Up until late 1967 Brian composed and arranged every melody The Beach Boys sang (except for covers) and taught the other Beach Boys how to sing them. The others slowly began to write music starting with Wild Honey and got better and better, in part because they learned from Brian.

Of course Brian needed The Beach Boys to sing and Mike to write the lyrics early on.

theMess and Tristero like this.
  4. Except for S. P. Honeybunch. :D

thrivingonariff and Tristero like this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

That's ludicrous. Brian only has two hands and two feet. He can't possibly play all of the instruments when he does decide to tour.

6. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I hate to get in the middle of this, but where did he state that? He said "Composed and arranged every melody", not play. I'm as big a fan as there can be and even I, who loves the band more than the individuals, knows that without Brian, they are all playing in different bands or working in gas stations. ;)

7. S. P. Honeybunch

Why didn't Murry just get lower paid employees, unknown talents, to play the hits as The Beach Boys? Mike Love doesn't work for peanuts. If Brian's melodies are the only things that matter, why not just hire the lowest paid workers so that Brian could have a bigger profit margin?

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

1. Needed a hat/turban model.
    2. Nepotism.

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

From a perspective 6000 miles from Monterey (though I have been there and love that coastline...), the 67 event was rightly about Hendrix, the Who, Janis Joplin and Otis Redding. For all of them, it was a major stepping stone, in the case of Hendrix and Otis bringing to the US reputations largely made in Europe. Sadly Otis died a few months later. The Beach Boys had passed their peak and the guard was rightly changing. I would rather remember it for those that did play - just listen to the Otis and Hendrix live albums of their performances !

10. S. P. Honeybunch

So, your position is that Al, Carl, Dennis, etc. have been overpaid as touring musicians since 1961? Conversely, instead, do they actually deserve the wealth they have earned through touring the world?

11. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I think that even John Steinbeck would have gone down better than the Beach Boys.

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

1. No, sir.
    2. Yes, sir.

oldsurferdude and starduster like this.
  13. S. P. Honeybunch

Thus, nepotism played no role in The Beach Boys touring core maintaining the status quo from 1961-1983, enabling Mike Love to amass an exceeding amount of critical acclaim and an untold fortune probably amounting to a gold mine.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  14. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

oldsurferdude likes this.
  15. Nice summation BUT I think anytime the Beach Boys recreate Good Vibrations LIve in concert is a re-occurring miracle that would have been hailed as a mind-blowing experience for the audience

Amongst the "harmony" acts in the line-up - Beach Boys would have been quantum miles ahead in the audible stunning department.
    A set of GOod Vibrations, 2 Deep cuts from Pet Sounds + Pet's God Only Knows and Wouldn't It Be Nice included with California Girls and Fun Fun Fun would have stood in vivid contrast to the instrumental psychedelia.
    But actually , this would have stood out as a very positive contrast - for being so different and not relying as much on the "freak-out" element.

Another HUGE point. During this time , when the Beatles were not touring because their material was too complex (amongst other reasons) to perform live - to see the Boys doin Good Vib and Pet , live on stage would have further catapulted their reps!

starduster likes this.
  16. S. P. Honeybunch

If your rock music is too complex to perform on stage, you're doing it wrong.

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Never said anything about Mike Love. Your comment related to "musicians."
    Stop twisting everyone's words here. Why not go for a nice walk?

oldsurferdude likes this.
  18. Ha ha, YOU must be shocked Lennon and McCartney did not beg Mike Love to become the Beatles lyricist when they met in India with the Maharishi. ha, ha.

theMess and oldsurferdude like this.
  19. S. P. Honeybunch

Maybe I'll go to Lake Tahoe and see if I might bump into Mike Love on a spring day's walk. He could use the encouragement from somebody who cares.

20. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Give it up, man. Don't waste your time trying to put the Greedster and Brian Wilson on a level playing field because you'll just be pissin' in the wind. Anyone with half a brain has known this for years. No Brian, NO Beach Boys period. Get over it-you're only making a fool of yourself by sounding somewhat "off".

21. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Not only that, he heard the songs in his head, knew what part each member was going to sing, knew how he was going to produce and arrange the song, taught each member how to sing their part, could hear any mistakes they made, corrected them until they were perfect and then inserted his vocals. On top of that, if it wasn't enough, he produced the instruments whether it was the BBs or the
    Wrecking Crew. That is a massive amount of energy put into just one song. Times that by all of his songs-whew! No wonder he wanted to stay home.

drbeachboy and Paperback Writer like this.
  22. S. P. Honeybunch

I was actually thinking of starting a thread that involves the what-ifs regarding, in 1969, adding someone like Davy Jones to The Beatles. He's British and Paul could focus more on heavy rocking, while letting Davy handle the lighter stuff.

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Okay, you are officially on acid.

oldsurferdude and bumbletort like this.
  24. S. P. Honeybunch

"What am I smoking? Nope, it's more like: what am I dropping?"

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Might be time to call in a professional...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.